Russell to Announce Oct 30? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Russell to Announce Oct 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its not over, IMHO Mercedes will end up with the Lady Vols. There is still attempts being made to get recruits to attend the same schools. However, I will admit I was wrong about why Tucker originally decommited from Tenn. I was not aware of her father's influence with that decision. There were talks that she wasn't happy with some things that were happening in recruiting.

So this is sort of the reverse of the "package deal" you were promoting the other day. The one you thought was scaring Tucker away, right?

Reaction Score
Russell is very good but she's no Candace Parker. She's no Breanna Stewart either. Griner can dribble the ball up the court too. Doesn't mean you ever really want her doing it.

If she were being ranked in the 2012,2011,2010,2009,2008,2007,2006, Elite where would she be ranked?

During this period you have Tina,Maya,EDD,O,Griner,?,KML/Williams,Stewart and others!
Ira

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Russell has played well, but not often great against top competition. She is a bit passive. From what I read, I think Davis and DeShields are actually better. The UT fans would say that 2013 is a strong class. I 'm not so sure.

Russell is as good as advertised. When you put alot of top talent on the same team, like Team USA), the ball does not touch the centers hands that often. You can see the same thing in the AA games. The 2013 class is as good as advertised. Both Keala and Deshields, grew up in the same gyms as Maya and all reports are that their games are just as good as her's was and possible better due to their better ball handling. Kaela possess the same shooting touch and Diamond is even more athletic.

Back to Russell. While I wouldn't expect her to lead a break off the dribble like Candace, the fact that she has a really good handle and is also a great passer, makes her a unique center in the half court set. Her length and skill set are undeniable. I can recall Ruth Riley and Rebecca Lobo not being Candace Parker either, but it sure didn't stop either from dominating at the center position. Mercedes brings more size than Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles and she also brings a broader range of skills. Bottom line, the girl is ranked #1 and she shouldn't be under estimated. She is a game changer.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Justavisitor

Mercedes is the best post player for 2013 but she is not and will not be better then Elizabeth Williams is for Duke. Williams is a game changer and Mercedes is not as talented. I'll probably get crucified by my fellow UConn fans, but I expect Mercedes to have a college career similar to our own Stef Dolson. A very good player who fills a very specific need but won't be the superstar or go to player. Others will fill that role. This will especially happen if Mercedes signs with Tenn and Kaela joins her in the class. Then Kaela is the superstar and go to player in crunch time. I like Mercedes as a player, but wonder if she will end up as an All American.

Russell is as good as advertised. When you put alot of top talent on the same team, like Team USA), the ball does not touch the centers hands that often. You can see the same thing in the AA games. The 2013 class is as good as advertised. Both Keala and Deshields, grew up in the same gyms as Maya and all reports are that their games are just as good as her's was and possible better due to their better ball handling. Kaela possess the same shooting touch and Diamond is even more athletic.

Back to Russell. While I wouldn't expect her to lead a break off the dribble like Candace, the fact that she has a really good handle and is also a great passer, makes her a unique center in the half court set. Her length and skill set are undeniable. I can recall Ruth Riley and Rebecca Lobo not being Candace Parker either, but it sure didn't stop either from dominating at the center position. Mercedes brings more size than Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles and she also brings a broader range of skills. Bottom line, the girl is ranked #1 and she shouldn't be under estimated. She is a game changer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Russell brings more size than Fowles? Aren't they both 6-6? I cannot imagine that Russell is as solidly built as Fowles

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Russell brings more size than Fowles? Aren't they both 6-6? I cannot imagine that Russell is as solidly built as Fowles

I have seen Fowles listed at 6'5" and Russell at 6'6". You could be correct and both could be 6'6". Yes, Fowles is more solidly built, but she doesn't come close to the skill set of Russell. Even as a pro, Fowles can still be awful from 2 ft. away.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have seen Fowles listed at 6'5" and Russell at 6'6". You could be correct and both could be 6'6". Yes, Fowles is more solidly built, but she doesn't come close to the skill set of Russell. Even as a pro, Fowles can still be awful from 2 ft. away.

In that case, Russell can be deemed as one of the three best centers in the world, behind Charles and Griner.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Justavisitor

Mercedes is the best post player for 2013 but she is not and will not be better then Elizabeth Williams is for Duke. Williams is a game changer and Mercedes is not as talented. I'll probably get crucified by my fellow UConn fans, but I expect Mercedes to have a college career similar to our own Stef Dolson. A very good player who fills a very specific need but won't be the superstar or go to player. Others will fill that role. This will especially happen if Mercedes signs with Tenn and Kaela joins her in the class. Then Kaela is the superstar and go to player in crunch time. I like Mercedes as a player, but wonder if she will end up as an All American.

Stef is a quality player, but no, I'm not buying that she's EW or MR. Stef is a role player, but EW and MR are go to players. Elizabeth Williams is more explosive and in my opinion, the best of her class. I do think that offensively Mercedes is more talented with a much more developed game. However, Williams has the ability to impose her will due to her strength and sheer athleticism. They both can have the same impact, but do so in different ways.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The jury is out on this and can be discussed in 5 years.

Wait, you said that she has a better skill set than Fowles and has more size. How can you say that and not consider her better than Fowles? You said that Fowles doesn't even come close.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sylvia is generally regarded as 6'6". Mercedes is usually listed at 6''5". I'm betting that Syl is at least as tall.

UCONN345678

L'ville fan in Husky Clothing
Reaction Score
Alexis Montgomery (PG) Russell's BF and AAU team mate will announce late tonight or early tomorrow. Most people are saying it is Louisville and if it is....Russell and Reynolds will follow. All 3 play on team concept out of Oregon and have very good chemistry.

Lady Vols might come up empty in 2013. YIKES!

Reaction Score
Alexis Montgomery (PG) Russell's BF and AAU team mate will announce late tonight or early tomorrow. Most people are saying it is Louisville and if it is....Russell and Reynolds will follow. All 3 play on team concept out of Oregon and have very good chemistry.

Lady Vols might come up empty in 2013. YIKES!

While losing out on MR would be disastrous, I wouldn't considering landing the #8 player in the class as, coming up empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom