Running the Gantlet at 12-0 | The Boneyard

Running the Gantlet at 12-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
12 games in 46 days…7 ranked opponents…not a cupcake in the bunch….12 and 0. Even the most diehard Husky fans, myself included, didn’t think it possible for this undersized, undermanned, inexperienced team to run the gantlet and emerge unscathed at the other end. For the next few days there will be an ongoing search for superlatives to describe this accomplishment. For me the superlative is “inspiring”. What these young ladies have done is absolutely inspiring to Husky fans everywhere.

After completing this most challenging series of tests, it now remains for the Huskies to accomplish four primary goals during league play on their way to the NCAA tournament. In order of importance:

1. STAY HEALTHY!!!

2. Take care of business in the AAC - Running the table in the AAC regular & postseason tournament will insure the #1 seed in the Bridgeport region for the Huskies.

3. Accelerate the development of the freshmen - Crystal needs to become a consistent performer night in and night out. If Molly & Kyla get enough minutes and develop their skill level to the point where Geno has confidence in them to use them as subs during games, come tourney time, it strengthens this team by providing rest for the starters and insurance against foul trouble or injury.

4. Beat SC on 2/13. While not absolutely necessary, a win over the Gamecocks is important in 3 ways: by insuring that UConn is the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney setting up the easiest path to the FF, sending a statement to SC with a possible rematch in the FF & by potentially extending the streak to a magical number – 100. (Even though Geno could care less, the rest of the basketball world really, really cares!!)

While there remain many potential pitfalls between now and the Huskies securing a 12th banner in April, there is absolutely no doubt that a 12th NCAA championship is a very real possibility for this team. It’s going to be a wonderful ride.

Reaction Score
12 games in 46 days…7 ranked opponents…not a cupcake in the bunch….12 and 0. Even the most diehard Husky fans, myself included, didn’t think it possible for this undersized, undermanned, inexperienced team to run the gantlet and emerge unscathed at the other end. For the next few days there will be an ongoing search for superlatives to describe this accomplishment. For me the superlative is “inspiring”. What these young ladies have done is absolutely inspiring to Husky fans everywhere.

After completing this most challenging series of tests, it now remains for the Huskies to accomplish four primary goals during league play on their way to the NCAA tournament. In order of importance:

1. STAY HEALTHY!!!

2. Take care of business in the AAC - Running the table in the AAC regular & postseason tournament will insure the #1 seed in the Bridgeport region for the Huskies.

3. Accelerate the development of the freshmen - Crystal needs to become a consistent performer night in and night out. If Molly & Kyla get enough minutes and develop their skill level to the point where Geno has confidence in them to use them as subs during games, come tourney time, it strengthens this team by providing rest for the starters and insurance against foul trouble or injury.

4. Beat SC on 2/13. While not absolutely necessary, a win over the Gamecocks is important in 3 ways: by insuring that UConn is the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney setting up the easiest path to the FF, sending a statement to SC with a possible rematch in the FF & by potentially extending the streak to a magical number – 100. (Even though Geno could care less, the rest of the basketball world really, really cares!!)

While there remain many potential pitfalls between now and the Huskies securing a 12th banner in April, there is absolutely no doubt that a 12th NCAA championship is a very real possibility for this team. It’s going to be a wonderful ride.

High hopes for good health and strength for all of the girls. Restoring confidence to the Freshman should be a priority. The bench is short and the upperclassmen are just as prone to mistakes and off playing days.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"Gantlet"?
As pointed out in an earlier post by another BY'er, either gantlet or gauntlet is correct, but the American English version, "gantlet" is preferred. In addition, the original meaning of gauntlet is a mettle glove worn by midieval nights, as used in the expression, "throw down the gauntlet."

This concludes our public service announcement for today.:cool:

Reaction Score
Accelerate the development of the freshmen

It's always nice to think about the development of youth--such seemingly unlimited potential. But truthfully, for the purposes of this season's success I'd rather see Natalie improve (say) 15%. Saniya and (the current version of) Crystal seem to handle the point fine. It's effective relief for Gabby/Pheesa that we need. I know it's hard to imagine a 4th year player (1 year redshirted and 1 year injured, however) improving over the next couple of months, but I can always hope!

And, I will hear blow-back for this, especially after the incredibly gutsy game she played last night, but Lou has to hit the boards harder. If she can grab a couple more rebbies/game and Natalie can improve just a bit, UConn is fine.

Reaction Score
As pointed out in an earlier post by another BY'er, either gantlet or gauntlet is correct, but the American English version, "gantlet" is preferred. In addition, the original meaning of gauntlet is a mettle glove worn by midieval nights, as used in the expression, "throw down the gauntlet."

This concludes our public service announcement for today.:cool:
Ut oh, may have learned two things today. Not yet sold on the concept of courageous clothing but the notion of words having multiple meanings isn't exactly foreign either.

Reaction Score
images

I don't know about you, but I started my evening watching UConn apply True Grit in a win over MD and finished up seeing the end of ND's loss to NCState. You might say I was having a double Schadenfreude latte. Poor Brenda (the Freeze); poor Muffs.

The local papers here in Maryland are touting the great gains made by the Terps in closing the gap with the Huskies. Napheesa Collier's name appears nowhere in the lead opinion piece, and we're told that Lou isn't as good as Breanna. No mention is made that UConn's 3 best players had either 4 fouls by quarter 3 (so many MD scores were gimmes to avoid disqualification) or were so sick that just being in the game was unbelievable. Old headline: UCONN IS BEATABLE; new headline; OPPONENTS CLOSING IN ON HUSKIES.

In fairness, Brenda has a record of her own: she hasn't won an important game in 10 years. As for the depleted Huskies, they now have a clear path to 99 wins before facing SC in CT. Finally, I can loosen my truss and relax thanks to the brave and beautiful women of UConn and their nonpareil coach. Whew.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are always 2 ways to look at a loss: we could of won or we could have gotten beat a lot worse.

Focusing on the latter, it should be pointed out that after hitting the 1st three of the game Lou clanked shot after shot in the 1st half, clearly struggling while sick. Outside of Kia, the rest of the team did not shoot well, even from the FT line.

If Lou & the rest of the team shoot their typical percentage, UConn leads by 15+ at the half and extends it to 30 at the end of the 3rd qtr...Game over.

Reaction Score
images

I don't know about you, but I started my evening watching UConn apply True Grit in a win over MD and finished up seeing the end of ND's loss to NCState. You might say I was having a double Schadenfreude latte. Poor Brenda (the Freeze); poor Muffs.

The local papers here in Maryland are touting the great gains made by the Terps in closing the gap with the Huskies. Napheesa Collier's name appears nowhere in the lead opinion piece, and we're told that Lou isn't as good as Breanna. No mention is made that UConn's 3 best players had either 4 fouls by quarter 3 (so many MD scores were gimmes to avoid disqualification) or were so sick that just being in the game was unbelievable. Old headline: UCONN IS BEATABLE; new headline; OPPONENTS CLOSING IN ON HUSKIES.

In fairness, Brenda has a record of her own: she hasn't won an important game in 10 years. As for the depleted Huskies, they now have a clear path to 99 wins before facing SC in CT. Finally, I can loosen my truss and relax thanks to the brave and beautiful women of UConn and their nonpareil coach. Whew.
Great writing!! Of course, for sports to make sense to most people, it needs more than "x's" and "o's": it needs a narrative. The early narrative was: "we can catch UConn this year." Maybe someone will, but it's no longer so certain. So now the narrative is: "we're closing the gap."

Of course, what's been pointed out on other threads is that the first narrative acknowledges the reality: that next year's UConn team is unbelievably talented and deep. So, the "catch them this year" made sense. "closing the gap" sort of doesn't. And the cruel, hard fact is that, however good the players on all these teams are or aren't, no opposing coach is closing the gap against Geno.

Reaction Score

It's always nice to think about the development of youth--such seemingly unlimited potential. But truthfully, for the purposes of this season's success I'd rather see Natalie improve (say) 15%. Saniya and (the current version of) Crystal seem to handle the point fine. It's effective relief for Gabby/Pheesa that we need. I know it's hard to imagine a 4th year player (1 year redshirted and 1 year injured, however) improving over the next couple of months, but I can always hope!

And, I will hear blow-back for this, especially after the incredibly gutsy game she played last night, but Lou has to hit the boards harder. If she can grab a couple more rebbies/game and Natalie can improve just a bit, UConn is fine.
I wouldn't call this blowback because your right about a few more rebounds from Lou really helping the team down the road. I just think the improvement from Lou in just 12 games so far this season is remarkable.

Reaction Score
Great writing!! Of course, for sports to make sense to most people, it needs more than "x's" and "o's": it needs a narrative. The early narrative was: "we can catch UConn this year." Maybe someone will, but it's no longer so certain. So now the narrative is: "we're closing the gap."

Of course, what's been pointed out on other threads is that the first narrative acknowledges the reality: that next year's UConn team is unbelievably talented and deep. So, the "catch them this year" made sense. "closing the gap" sort of doesn't.

Thanks, bags. Your excellent point is another one not made in today's articles: after this year NO ONE will be able to touch UConn until after Megatron wins her 4th NC (if then). Sadly, the knowledge base of most sports writers on the subject of WCBB is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Reaction Score
There are always 2 ways to look at a loss: we could of won or we could have gotten beat a lot worse.

Focusing on the latter, it should be pointed out that after hitting the 1st three of the game Lou clanked shot after shot in the 1st half, clearly struggling while sick. Outside of Kia, the rest of the team did not shoot well, even from the FT line.

If Lou & the rest of the team shoot their typical percentage, UConn leads by 15+ at the half and extends it to 30 at the end of the 3rd qtr...Game over.

UConn for the game shot their season % in FG and 3's %. The only thing down was free throws. They were fortunate MD only shot 25% as a team from 3's or it's a likely loss. Only Slocum made a 3 on the entire team

Reaction Score
I hope that when Geno brings in the freshmen during the AAC games, he has each of them play with at least three starters to get the benefit of working with a smoother offense and defense. Putting them all in as a clean up crew is less productive as far as their development is concerned

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks, bags. Your excellent point is another one not made in today's articles: after this year NO ONE will be able to touch UConn until after Megatron wins her 4th NC (if then). Sadly, the knowledge base of most sports writers on the subject of WCBB is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Probably more the case of not wanting to have to provide too many details and explanations to the non UCONN fans. #1 Recruit is easier to say than transfers and still fits the narrative

Reaction Score

It's always nice to think about the development of youth--such seemingly

Don't disagree with you on that but we do have to remember that KLS plays outside on defense and most of the time on offense so she is not always in position to get those rebounds under the basket.........that said, two more a game should be doable............

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking of non-UConn fans, the UTenn board has become quite the admiring salon.
To wit:

Collier and KLS are two of the best players in the country, and Williams might be the most complete. They have no shortage of talent.
_______
It's that execution part that really sets them apart. They don't just play hard, they play smart. They're like freakin' robots...
It's Geno's coaching that set these young women apart from other players. This is why they execute so good
(sic).

Reaction Score
... Old headline: UCONN IS BEATABLE; new headline; OPPONENTS CLOSING IN ON HUSKIES...
The problem with the new meme is that opponents aren't closing in on us; we are, temporarily, regressing back to them. Graduating three All-Americans who were selected to play at the highest level of the sport before any player from any other team will do that to a program.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe anytime Geno's coaching receives a compliment, CD should be included. Some of the main decisions made may be made by her. The whole staff is excellent.

Reaction Score
I think a gantlet should be the name for a new piece of children's clothing manufactured by Gant, which makes men's clothing,

But, as someone else said, you learn something every day. It seems that gantlet is the old, and not incorrect, form of the expression. Now, either is correct, but more people seem to run gauntlets than gantlets. And if you want to throw one down, I guess that;s always a gauntlet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01