Running Arkeel into the ground | The Boneyard

Running Arkeel into the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Heart of a lion but overused.
Johnson and Marrinet hardly played and what of Max D?
Did he deteriorate or was he the victim of a coach who was gung ho on up the gut but decided to do that with AN solely? I think HCBD screwed the pooch on this.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
14 rushes/game

Looks like under used to me. But then, he was not exactly electric.

Hoping 2016 sees BOOM.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He should get up to 20 touches a game. But 15 shouldn't be runs up the middle!!

I think he should return kicks, get the ball in the slot, screens, wheel route( we never saw after Tulane game), pitches - all open field stuff.

Reaction Score
Max should have gotten more burn especially in short yardage. Just Diaco getting younger guys experience.

We started five seniors on D. I guess we only need to get young guys experience on O?

Life is much simpler than you make it. Max didn't convinc coaches that he deserved playing time, so he didn't play.

Reaction Score
If Newsome, Thomas, Sherriffs, oh hell any of the skill guys, played behind an agressive, physical, attacking offensive line, they'd have been far more productive then they were. The difference between mediocrity and sustained success in football comes down to who wins in the trenches. We are not going to land the top OL recruits in the country. But, OL is not a heavily recruited position anyway. You can find kids who fly under the radar. Size is important, but it's not everything. They need to be agile, physically strong, and relentless. I want kids that play other sports in high school, besides football. I love when lineman also wrestle in high school. They learn the advantages of leverage and how to gain leverage on their opponent. A physical advantage up front (like we had against Marshall) means nothing if you can't beat the defender to a spot, get hands on him, and gain a leverage advantage to move him where you want him to go.

Until UConn can start finding those types of kids and developing aggressive offensive linemen and depth at that position, mediocrity will continue. If you put Leonard Fournette behind UConn's OL, his stats would be far different. As good as he is, it's hard to churn out yards when there are no running lanes. Newsome became the feature back because, he was the best back to get yards in small spaces. The other backs have talent, but they take longer to get to and through the hole.

I like the talent and youth at the skill positions, but if they can't block for them, it will continue to be a struggle offensively.

OL should be the biggest point of emphasis in the offseason and recruiting for the program to take the next step, and stay there.

Reaction Score
Newsome belongs on the filed for every offensive play. He is one of the few game changers we have on the team. I thought he was underused not overused. I like seeing him in the slot. I only wish that we would throw to him more out of that slot position. Running behind our offensive line can wear any back down but he still should be on the field getting touches. As it has been said many time before on this board, we do need another running back to go along with Newsome. Maybe Johnson will become that guy.

Reaction Score
Ray Rice was getting well over 300 carries a year. Arkeel is not being overused.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He was used way too often in short yardage situations where a bigger back like Max would have performed better. Up the gut he was stuffed , a lot. Yeah we did not run enough plays on O for anyone to be "overused'" - I get it.

Reaction Score
Ray Rice was getting well over 300 carries a year. Arkeel is not being overused.

Different bodies. Arkeel coming out of high school was 5'7 177lbs and Ray Rice was 5'9 188lbs. Ray is a bigger back than Arkeel.

Honestly, our O-Line was the weak link and has been for a few years now, but I personally believe the pass blocking was stronger than our run blocking this year. We needed to utilize the passing game to open up the run game and that was barely done this year. I mean we ran the ball about 95% of the time, getting stuffed about 90% of the time. It's gotten to the point where we became too predictable and the opponents would load up the box, and we still ran the ball knowing this. Guys like Noel Thomas shouldn't be looked at 1 or 2 times in the bowl game, that kid can play. Every game I saw this year the announcers would always say that Noel needs the ball more. Hopefully we open it up more on offense next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bob Gibson threw 300 innings a year. Everyone else should too.

Solid logic.

Reaction Score
I mean we ran the ball about 95% of the time

I know you are using hyperbole (I think) to make a point but just because I was looking at season stats last night...

819 total offensive plays. Rushing attempts = 477 (58%) - Passing attempts = 342 (42%).

Opponents for comparison: 887 total plays. Rushing attempts = 486 (55%) - Passing attempts = 401 (45%)

Reaction Score
Bob Gibson threw 300 innings a year. Everyone else should too.

Solid logic.
You never really get anything , do you? But I love the audacity of you attacking the logic of others.

I was not suggesting running Arkeel 300 times.

Reaction Score
I know you are using hyperbole (I think) to make a point but just because I was looking at season stats last night...

819 total offensive plays. Rushing attempts = 477 (58%) - Passing attempts = 342 (42%).

Opponents for comparison: 887 total plays. Rushing attempts = 486 (55%) - Passing attempts = 401 (45%)

Thank you for that. I think the play calling, at least in terms of balance, was fine this season.

Reaction Score
Max should have gotten more burn especially in short yardage. Just Diaco getting younger guys experience.

One of the bigger opportunities sacrificed over the past 2 years was how Max got shuffled out for younger guys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You never really get anything , do you? But I love the audacity of you attacking the logic of others.

I was not suggesting running Arkeel 300 times.

As tiresome as you usually are you've become completely unbearable lately.

You have no insight into what logic is: you have one note and all you do is hammer it into the ground.

As to your obtuse point about Ray Rice. To determine if they are overusing Newsome - one would examine Newsome and his performance over the course of the season and attempt to project what it means for him long term.

THE LEVEL AT WHICH ARKEEL NEWSOME WOULD BE OVERWORKED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT ANY OTHER PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL HAS DONE. THE NUMBER OF CARRIES AT WHICH RAY RICE WOULD BE OVERWORKED HAS NO BEARING ON NEWSOME'S IDEAL WORKLOAD.

Maybe stop posting idiotic nonsense so we all don't have to waste time explaining basic concepts to you.

Reaction Score

Someday when I get invite to wherever the server is, and get the call to submit my sizing for the Boneyard Hall of Fame jacket - and I know it's coming someday, Medic, I've got the votes. - I want you to do my introduction at the podium before they uncover the bust. None of it would be possible without you.

Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
I know you are using hyperbole (I think) to make a point but just because I was looking at season stats last night... 819 total offensive plays. Rushing attempts = 477 (58%) - Passing attempts = 342 (42%). Opponents for comparison: 887 total plays. Rushing attempts = 486 (55%) - Passing attempts = 401 (45%)

And QB runs account for a lot of those also.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Very interesting breakdown... Obviously I would have guessed more skewed towards the run...

Reaction Score
About 1/3 (160 +/-) but don't have the info on what was planned versus forced.

I think as far as the stat sheet is concerned it still counts as a run if the QB crosses the line even if it was a true pass play. Sacks also count against the rush totals in college I think. In pros it is the opposite.

Reaction Score
Vs Temple and Marshall he was getting tackled in the backfield. They both figured out how to get around our O line in no time to bust running and pass plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom