Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rumor: Warde Manuel- Virginia Tech AD Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's kind of crazy that someone would hire him without seeing how any of his hires / projects actually perform in the crunch.

KO - hasn't coached a post-season game yet;
BD - hasn't coached any game yet.
Cav - hasn't coached a post-season game yet.
Hockey Arena - haven't even seen a concept.
Hockey East step up - boom or bust?

The only known is Geno, but Geno is Geno and will pre & post date WM.

If he gets the job we learn that the VT AD job couldn't attract any 'top' (or at least proven) talent, and that WM is following the old adage I was once told: "move on every three years before any good projections become bad results."

Reaction Score
It is now out there generally and he hasn't run to the media denying anything so...

I save any additional comment for later.

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/report-manuel-in-running-for-ad-job-at.html

Wednesday, January 22, 2014
UConn: Manuel not a candidate for Virginia Tech AD job
There have been multiple reports that UConn director of athletics Warde Manuel is on the short list of candidates for the same job at Virginia Tech. However. UConn is expected to release a statement within the next 30 minutes stating that Manuel is not a candidate for the job with the Hokies.

Next topic...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/report-manuel-in-running-for-ad-job-at.html

There have been multiple reports that UConn director of athletics Warde Manuel is on the short list of candidates for the same job at Virginia Tech. However. UConn is expected to release a statement within the next 30 minutes stating that Manuel is not a candidate for the job with the Hokies.

Next topic...
why is a statement needed? Why can't he just talk to a reporter?

Or am I still living in teh 1980's?

Reaction Score
why is a statement needed? Why can't he just talk to a reporter?

Or am I still living in teh 1980's?

Need to hit as many outlets as possible as quickly as possible?

Updated: http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/report-manuel-in-running-for-ad-job-at.html

There have been multiple reports that UConn director of athletics Warde Manuel is on the short list of candidates for the same job at Virginia Tech. However. Manuel released a statement saying that

"I am not a candidate, have not been interviewed nor have I been contacted by Virginia Tech about its Director of Athletics position despite some recent media reports. I am very happy as the Director of Athletics at UConn and look forward to continuing to work with President Herbst, my coaches, staff, student-athletes, donors and fans to enjoy a high level of continued success in athletics at UConn. I wish Virginia Tech all the best in their search to replace, one of the legends in our business, Jim Weaver.”

Reaction Score

Updated: http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/report-manuel-in-running-for-ad-job-at.html

There have been multiple reports that UConn director of athletics Warde Manuel is on the short list of candidates for the same job at Virginia Tech. However. Manuel released a statement saying that

"I am not a candidate, have not been interviewed nor have I been contacted by Virginia Tech about its Director of Athletics position despite some recent media reports. I am very happy as the Director of Athletics at UConn and look forward to continuing to work with President Herbst, my coaches, staff, student-athletes, donors and fans to enjoy a high level of continued success in athletics at UConn. I wish Virginia Tech all the best in their search to replace, one of the legends in our business, Jim Weaver.”
We can all see that is not a denial of interest, right? I don't care either way. My hand wringing over conference realignment has not helped or hurt us. I'm just pointing out that this statement is similar to what we hear just before every coach, AD, etc. leave. My only criticism is that Warde has one too many commas in his last sentence.

Reaction Score
We can all see that is not a denial of interest, right? I don't care either way. My hand wringing over conference realignment has not helped or hurt us. I'm just pointing out that this statement is similar to what we hear just before every coach, AD, etc. leave. My only criticism is that Warde has one too many commas in his last sentence.

I take that as an absolute denial. You're only as good as your reputation. If a search firm is doing his work for him, he wouldn't have released that statement.

Reaction Score
Clearly they consulted my post. It's not an accident that they didn't make a move until I published the directive.:rolleyes:

Seriously, in a perverse way it's a good thing to have WM name floated for notable positions. It's even better to have him publicly turn them down. Regardless of your opinion of him, having stability and continuity in the AD is a good thing right now.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I take that as an absolute denial. You're only as good as your reputation. If a search firm is doing his work for him, he wouldn't have released that statement.
No mention of whether his agent or representative has been contacted, the usual loophole for coaches' similar statements.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's not a candidate like Narduzzi isn't a candidate. He was told he isn't getting it and so now he's not a candidate.

Or Turner called Parker and it wasn't meant to be from the start. Just as viable.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Or Turner called Parker and it wasn't meant to be from the start. Just as viable.

Yes. That's true. Although I don't know who Turner and Parker are. Ted Turner and Sergeant Buddy Lee Parker?

Reaction Score
Yes. That's true. Although I don't know who Turner and Parker are. Ted Turner and Sergeant Buddy Lee Parker?

Todd Turner (former UConn AD who runs College Sports Associate Executive Search and Consulting) who is running the VT search and Parker Executive Search (who WM has used previously personally and professionally)..

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Todd Turner (former UConn AD who runs College Sports Associate Executive Executive Search and Consulting) who is running the VT search and Parker Executive Search (who WM has used previously personally and professionally)..

Ah thanks. Yes. I kinda figured by Warde saying that he's never been contacted by Tech that it was communication between Warde's representatives and whatever firm Tech is using.

Reaction Score
Everybody please stop. UCONN is NEVER going to the ACC. They were never going to go to the ACC. The ACC has had ample amount of times to add them and, each time, the set of criteria for selecting a new school has been conveniently changed to better fit whoever they invited over UCONN. UCONN has way too many enemies within that conference, whether it is from Blumenthal's lawsuit (BCU, Miami, VT) or southern schools that don't want to add another northeast BCU (FSU, Clemson, GT). Warde could have camped out at John Swofford's home and sent everybody at the U their own personal boat and ho and it wouldn't have mattered. If the ACC expands again, UCONN will not be added. The criteria and smear campaign will change so that Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Temple, whoever will seem like a better fit over UCONN.

UCONN's only two ways out of the AAC are: improve profile for a B1G invite OR the P5 blowup that sends everything into chaos and smaller grandfathered schools like Wake are exposed.

Actually, I am of the belief that Swofford made a deal with the FB-first schools. They get Louisville this time, and, he gets UConn if we expand again. JMHO...

I know thats of no consolation to you guys, but, you absolutely DO still have support here in ACC country.

I can tell you, without any doubt in my mind, that neither UCF nor USF will get an invite. Its just not happening. They will not add another Florida school. Temple is a no-go, too. They do not deliver Philadelphia at all. That PSU/B1G territory there. Cincinnati is a longshot, too, TBH. I think they might wind up in the Big 12, giving WVU an eastern travel partner.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Petrino only works for 2-3 years and then he and the program implode., Proven over and over and over agian. He is a vampire

I am not so sure. He went 41-9 at UL the first time, and, then 36-17 in four years at Arkansas. UA was the 3rd best team in the SEC his last two seasons. Only LSU and Alabama were clearly better. He might be a dishonest cuss, but, he IS a heck of a coach. If he behaves himself, Louisville will be fine.

Reaction Score

Translation. As of today, Virginia Tech has not contacted me. I'm still here, working for UConn. Have a good day!

pj

Reaction Score
Actually, I am of the belief that Swofford made a deal with the FB-first schools. They get Louisville this time, and, he gets UConn if we expand again. JMHO...

I know thats of no consolation to you guys, but, you absolutely DO still have support here in ACC country.

I can tell you, without any doubt in my mind, that neither UCF nor USF will get an invite. Its just not happening. They will not add another Florida school. Temple is a no-go, too. They do not deliver Philadelphia at all. That PSU/B1G territory there. Cincinnati is a longshot, too, TBH. I think they might wind up in the Big 12, giving WVU an eastern travel partner.

No doubt, UConn would be the most beneficial add to the ACC. They may have been the most beneficial add the last two rounds as well, but it didn't happen. But I think you are probably right, FSU used its leverage and UNC/UVa/Duke will get their way the next time. None of the possible candidates are peer schools to UNC/UVa except UConn. It would be hard to see them going with anyone else.

What do you think of the relaxation of championship rules/divisional structure Swofford is pushing for? Opening up a 15-school football league? Do you think that will bring about an invitation to UConn?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
collegead2:56pm via Web An inside source told us this afternoon, Whit Babcock & Chris Plonsky @TexasSports are the top 2 for @hokiesports AD. collegead.org/athletic-direc… January 22nd, 2014—One of our sources from around the Athletic Department places Whit Babcock, University of Cincinnati AD and Chris Plonsky Texas Women’s Director of Athletics as the Hokies top two candidates right now.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I would think we would be better served if cinci's AD does not get the job. We don't need an AD sympathetic to Cinci at an ACC school in the event they add another school.

Reaction Score

This would not surprise me at all. It would be one rational way of explaining how those who supported UConn, both inside and outside the Commissioners Office, went along with Louisville instead so quickly and quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom