Rumor: ND Olympics to ACC, partial independence football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumor: ND Olympics to ACC, partial independence football

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not if the goal is to be in the playoff. You have 9 in conference games which leaves 3 OOC games. If you are a power team in the Big 4 conferences, you schedule your FCS team, you schedule your MAC team and that leaves 1 other OOC game. If you have 9 in conference games, that means 1 year you get only 4 home games, plus the 2 cupcakes. You want a 7th home game. Will that be ND for only 1 game? Or will you pick a mid to lower level team from another conference with no need for a return game? ND will not play a 1 away for no home game. Not when ND wants 7 to 8 home games per year to maximize their NBC deal. ND's schedule will be filled with Army, Navy, Air Force, BYU (not always bad, but not always great) along with schools that will do a 1 and done or a 2 or 3 for 1 deal. That ain't the big boys except for their traditional games with MI and USC. Their strength of schedule will be perceived as significantly weaker than any team that finishes in the the top 2 or 3 in the B1G, Big 12, PAC 12 and the SEC who had to face "a grueling in conference slate that includes....", not to mention a 2 loss team that wins its conference championship game and jumps up in the rankings. One loss to any team will kill ND as far as the playoff goes. Same will never be said for USC, MI, OSU, LSU, Bama, Florida, TX, Oregon, WVU, Nebraska, Georgia, (add any team from the Big 4 conferences here).

So you think the playoffs will cause teams to play weaker competition? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Reaction Score
So you think the playoffs will cause teams to play weaker competition? That doesn't make any sense at all.
If the goal is to be in the championship, you need to be 12-1, maybe 11-2. You play 9 games in conference plus conference championship game, if you are a top 25 team from the B1G, SEC, Big 12 or Pac12, why would you schedule Notre Dame? Your strength of schedule is already great. Everyone knows that a win is a win for OOC games and that the perceived strength of the in conference games in those conferences far outweigh anything than you can schedule OOC. So yeah, the 12th game will not be against ND except for teams like MI and USC. The 12th game is more likely against a mid to low level school from any other power conference. Home games with a good chance for W, little pressure for a return game at their stadium and it does not change the perceived strength of your schedule any more than scheduling ND. If you are one of the big power teams, that game will be on TV, no question, so the added benefit of scheduling ND to be on TV is not even a part of the equation.

And given your proclivity for conspiracy I am surprised you did not consider this: If I am in one of the power conferences, I want as many slots for my conference as possible, so no way we schedule ND. Keep them as far out of the picture as possible.

Reaction Score
So ND is leaving for the ACC yet ND is also talking to Orange Bowl playing an ACC school. Yeah that makes a ton of sense. Got it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My theory on this rumor:

ESPN made a pitiful offer to the BE recently and the BE's response made it clear to ESPN that there is something real (an NBC offer) out there. ESPN then called the ACC and said "float an ND to ACC rumor that some may view as plausible. We need the BE to lose their nerve and jump at the pennies we are willing to throw there way".

Reaction Score
My theory on this rumor:

ESPN made a pitiful offer to the BE recently and the BE's response made it clear to ESPN that there is something real (an NBC offer) out there. ESPN then called the ACC and said "float an ND to ACC rumor that some may view as plausible. We need the BE to lose their nerve and jump at the pennies we are willing to throw there way".

your probably dead right unfortunately

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
My hate for ND has just multiplied 10 fold. Even if we get an ACC invite, I still loathe the way they used the Big East and how the Big East allowed that to happen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't see what is in this for ND other than getting away from the NNBE and access to the ACC bowl games.

ACC (FSU, Clemson, Miami, and VT) get semi-regular FB games against ND.

It seems like a weird deal to make or an incomplete one.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Another marquee program flees the NBE joining Pitt, Syracuse in the ACC and WVU which fled to the Big 12.

No worries for the NBE, Sacramento Community College is available as a replacement. But hey, SCC has great potential.

Congrats to Gene Swofford for pulling in the #1 brand college sports program as spectacular addition to what is now the PREMIER Power 5 Conference.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Another marquee program flees the NBE joining Pitt, Syracuse in the ACC and WVU which fled to the Big 12.

No worries for the NBE, Sacramento Community College is available as a replacement. But hey, SCC has great potential.

Congrats to Gene Swofford for pulling in the #1 brand college sports program as spectacular addition to what is now the PREMIER Power 5 Conference.

I'm not saying we ban the BIG O here, but maybe we change his handle to Instigator. Observer doesn't quite fit.

Reaction Score

You realize that they took the deal that others said "no" to. While this is bad for UConn and the remaining members of the Big East, I'd hardly call it a major score for the ACC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's #begharder time. ACC or bust now.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I have to ask a serious question of the mods...

What does a person have to do to get banned in this place anyway?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Observer, that would be John Swofford there, buddy.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
My question would be: what kind of relationship do ND and NBC really have? I would have thought that NBC would have used it's FB relationship with ND to leverage a more inclusive deal with the NBE. However, it appears that ND might be willing to walk away from NBC eventually.

Reaction Score
I know there are many other things in play but it is still incredible to me - absolutely incredible - that the mens and womens' basketball programs that have won more championships in the last 12 years than any other program in the NCAA are being left in the dust while awful (BC) to pretty good (PITT) to Syracuse (Very good in bball only) are able to escape the ACC.

Absolutely and utterly incredible.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I know there are many other things in play but it is still incredible to me - absolutely incredible - that the mens and womens' basketball programs that have won more championships in the last 12 years than any other program in the NCAA are being left in the dust while awful (BC) to pretty good (PITT) to Syracuse (Very good in bball only) are able to escape the ACC.

Absolutely and utterly incredible.
Just goes to show how little basketball means to the south.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Then why did the ACC add two basketball schools last year?
They didn't add two basketball schools. In their myopic view, they added the two Big East schools with the most tradition in football. Current success matters not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom