Rumor du Jour | The Boneyard

Rumor du Jour

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FSU, Clemson, Miami and someone else to announce for Big 12 soon.

The 3 stooges of the WVU board are all circle jerking about this, but in a twist, an FSU "insider" who usually calls them idiots is now saying that his "sources" say that Clemson and FSU will pitch themselves as a package deal to the SEC and if the SEC says no, will go to the Big 12.

I wonder if the "insiders" script this stuff out, because geauxnoles is like a wrestler who suddenly switches sides, and all the fans are stunned. I wonder if the owners of the BGN board are in on it in order to boost page views.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Four teams??? What are the odds that this is true? If it were true (and I have to believe everything now, because....Rutgers to the B1G...), then this would mean that the Big12 made a significant push into the southeast, and the ACC took a significant hit (especially if the fourth team is theirs)!

I guess we'll all wait and see, but if true, then wow!

Reaction Score
Georgia tech? Lol if all this is true the ACC is doomed. Lets get Georgia tech to b12 rumor going. So we can get B1G.

Reaction Score
That would dump UNC, UVA, and Duke into the Big 10's lap.

Not sure I like that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Georgia tech? Lol if all this is true the ACC is doomed. Lets get Georgia tech to b12 rumor going. So we can get B1G.

That would certainly be the choice that makes sense if it's an ACC team. Big time "wow" if it happens...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Not sure I like that.

I don't buy Duke to the B1G at all, but the other two...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Any conference will take Duke if Duke asks.

I don't believe that for a second, but then again, I didn't believe Maryland was going to the B1G either...

Reaction Score
I like this rumor. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but at least it's different. Why would FSU want to tie themselves to Miami when it's pretty clear that conferences are more interested in adding different states than colleges. Now Clemson, FSU and GTech to the B12 would make some sense if the B12 really wants to make a kill shot to the ACC

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Not sure I like that.

I think the Big 10 will be very much focused on only adding 1 school in a state. Duke could be a basetball corollary to Nebraska in football, in the Duke has a national following and therefore drives ratings disproportionate to their market size, maybe. Or the Big 10 could just add another state and boost their subscriber fees.

Reaction Score
I like this rumor. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but at least it's different. Why would FSU want to tie themselves to Miami when it's pretty clear that conferences are more interested in adding different states than colleges. Now Clemson, FSU and GTech to the B12 would make some sense if the B12 really wants to make a kill shot to the ACC
I think there's some political pressure to play Miami every year for FSU, so they'd rather it be part of their schedule rather than an OOC game.

Reaction Score
Both B1G and SEC want UNC. The question is how bad do they want them. I think B1G is a lot more likely to take Duke at UNC's request than the SEC is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UNC, UVA, Duke plus UConn for 18 team B1G. I like that.
How freaking sweet would that be?

th

Reaction Score
Fsu Mia Clem: B12

UVA B1G

Gt could go B12 or B1G ( b12 makes more sense IMO)

UNC could go sec less likely B1G even less likely B12

Nc State sec if not unc probably left for dead

VT Sec likely, B12 very remote possibility

New conference:
Wake Duke cuse Pitt ul bc cincy usf etc...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think the Big 10 will be very much focused on only adding 1 school in a state. Duke could be a basetball corollary to Nebraska in football, in the Duke has a national following and therefore drives ratings disproportionate to their market size, maybe. Or the Big 10 could just add another state and boost their subscriber fees.
Kansas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no magic number, because scheduling is not driving these decisions, content is. The Big 10 could easily add 4. I think that is less likely for the SEC, although not out of the question.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think B1G is a lot more likely to take Duke at UNC's request than the SEC is.

It's funny, but I would have said the exact opposite...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kansas.

The GOR is too hard to beat. The conference that added Kansas would not have the rights to Kansas' TV content, making Kansas' basically worthless to the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Both B1G and SEC want UNC. The question is how bad do they want them. I think B1G is a lot more likely to take Duke at UNC's request than the SEC is.
I think any conference that decides 18 or 20 is the endgame, rather than 16, would be willing to take Duke if UNC asked.

I can't see B1G taking UNC/Duke without plans to go beyond 16; same with SEC.

Reaction Score
I am still skeptical about the "breakup" of the ACC. I don't think Carolina, Duke even Virginia really want to go. They'll try and up the anti from ESPN then decide where they want to be. they are even a worse fit for the SEC. They just aren't good enouogh, and when UNC tried to become that good, they got in trouble. And I don't think losing Florida State and Clemson is that big a deal anyway. Florida State has always been a fish out of water in the ACC and Clemson is, well, Clemson. Last year they won the ACC last year for the first time since 1991, the year before Florida State came aboard. Clemson is the definition of nothing special. The ACC would miss Florida State, I think, but not for too long. The Seminoles would pretty quickly become an also ran in the B-12 and be forgotten as a power. Even if you lost both FSU and Clemson, you'd have a decent conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think Carolina, Duke even Virginia really want to go. They'll try and up the anti from ESPN then decide where they want to be. they are even a worse fit for the SEC. They just aren't good enouogh, and when UNC tried to become that good, they got in trouble.

But that's just it; this isn't about being good enough. Do you think that Maryland is good enough to be in the B1G??? It's about markets, and more importantly, it's about money. All of these expansion moves have had that one defining factor; that it was done in order to try to make more money...

Reaction Score
People have been talking about FSU to the Big 12 for what seems like a year. It took Maryland all of one weekend to make a move. It seemed to take Pitt and Syracuse even less time to leave the Big East. The point being, if this was going to happen. Then it probably would have happened already. Nothing's radically changed in the last year. This past summer, FSU had a deadline to withdraw from the ACC to start play in another conference in 2013. It did not happen. And everyone knew what the Big 12 and ACC deals were at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom