Rodney Purvis would be entering his junior year | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis would be entering his junior year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he avg 9 points shooting 45% in 24 minutes at NCST his freshmen year.

Kind of going dismissed is what will be his physical jump that MOST players have from freshmen to junior.

Were adding two very mature big PG/Combo guard type players who are not puppies to a group with Ryan Boatright amd Terrance Samuels
replacing 6-9 skinny F DD with 6-8 skinny F D Hamilton
and adding a year of maturity and game to Brimah Nolan Facey and adding what I believe will be an impact freshmen in Lubin.

While its hard to take away the special label type action we had with Napier--we have a LOT of moxy and talent--with MORE depth--while we won the NC--this new team might just be better. It is NOT a young team.

Reaction Score
I think he avg 9 points shooting 45% in 24 minutes at NCST his freshmen year.

Kind of going dismissed is what will be his physical jump that MOST players have from freshmen to junior.

Were adding two very mature big PG/Combo guard type players who are not puppies to a group with Ryan Boatright amd Terrance Samuels
replacing 6-9 skinny F DD with 6-8 skinny F D Hamilton
and adding a year of maturity and game to Brimah Nolan Facey and adding what I believe will be an impact freshmen in Lubin.

While its hard to take away the special label type action we had with Napier--we have a LOT of moxy and talent--with MORE depth--while we won the NC--this new team might just be better. It is NOT a young team.

Good post but I will have to disagree slightly with one comment…….DHam is not "skinny" he's has a very nice basketball body for this age with room to mature. He is bigger than Rip was as a freshman and almost as big as he was when he left at this point and he is certainly stronger looking than DD was for his first 2 years at least………..

But I agree, one more 5th year or other surprise and they have a chance to be pretty good and potentially better, although Bazz is tough to replace.

Reaction Score
I agree we have more talented team this year but it now depends on team chemistry. I wonder who's going to be the big shot maker we need at the end of game/shot clock situations.

Reaction Score
S. Cassell Jr would also be a junior.

Im pretty sure Cassell Should be a senior if he came directly from high school. I think he did a prep year and then 2 years of Junior college.

Reaction Score
I agree with parts of the comparison. DD and DHam are completely different players. DHam is a pure wing from what I've seen and read where DD was sort of a tweener but mostly played the 4.

Reaction Score
I year of prep and one of juco…….he has 3 left as a Husky!!
Actually, you're both right. He did 2 years of juco, redshirted his freshman year and played this past year, so he only exhausted one year of eligibility. So when he comes, he'll have 3 years of eligibility remaining. By the time he's a senior, I think he'll be 25.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Finally we get a Sam Young!
Actually, you're both right. He did 2 years of juco, redshirted his freshman year and played this past year, so he only exhausted one year of eligibility. So when he comes, he'll have 3 years of eligibility remaining. By the time he's a senior, I think he'll be 25.

U

UCONNfan1

More talent, less talent, all valid opinions, but the most talented team in the nation rarely wins the NC, unless they are just light years ahead of everyone else in the nation, and that just doesn't happen in the men's game.

Will next year's team have more "raw talent"? Sure. but it won't have Napier or Giffey. Can what we are getting (new) combined with improvements to what we have currently make for a better team? Sure. But we can't do any better than we did this past year in the NCAA's - so if people expect the team to be better and expect at least similar results, they will likely be disappointed.

Not trying to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but I think it's unrealistic to think that just because the team is better on paper that we will have "better" results next year...

Now, the AAC is far different. We should expect to win the division, or be a close 2nd to SMU. That's certainly better than last year...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We just need to keep in mind that Brimah had surgery and some of that summer development will be lost.
The difference between Brimah and Calhoun, vis a vie off season surgery, is the Brimah's baskets come from 5 feet from the basket and most are dunks and put backs.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I agree with what was said about our guards but you didn't mention Omar. Its amazing how some would like to dismiss this kid as being a factor. I'm pulling for him hard and he'll also be an experienced junior. If he comes back strong but is only a glue guy like Niels, we're still in excellent shape.

Reaction Score
I do not need to compare last years team, with this years team...no predictions at this point still enjoying the championship and looking forward to next year...come October, predictions will be made and as always it all boils down to having good talent and good chemistry. The last part is most crucial.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The difference between Brimah and Calhoun, vis a vie off season surgery, is the Brimah's baskets come from 5 feet from the basket and most are dunks and put backs.
Agreed. I'm less concerned with his offense given what I hope/think is some good talent around him. It's more defensively that I was thinking he wouldn't advance. He's got things to learn/work on like when to go for a block versus playing straight up D. Some times he goes for blocks and then by being out of position leaves us open for offensive rebounds. I think that feel just comes with experience. Ditto his footwork. I'd also like to see some muscle. Maybe that will come as a result of rehabbing and strengthening.
Does anyone know which shoulder it was, shooting or non-shooting? Just wondering, no further point to be made.

Reaction Score
The development of Calhoun will be huge. If he returns to his freshman year form, we're in business. Depth at the 3 spot is a bit weak, even though will play three guards most of the time. we need a guy that can get to the rim, not just guards penetrating, but back door cuts and driving to the hole. Our bigs did a terrible job finishi g plays near the basket, this is really the 3's job, to score and take pressure off the guards.

I think our bigs will improve over last year, but hamilton and calhoun have to produce.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Agreed. I'm less concerned with his offense given what I hope/think is some good talent around him. It's more defensively that I was thinking he wouldn't advance. He's got things to learn/work on like when to go for a block versus playing straight up D. Some times he goes for blocks and then by being out of position leaves us open for offensive rebounds. I think that feel just comes with experience. Ditto his footwork. I'd also like to see some muscle. Maybe that will come as a result of rehabbing and strengthening.
Does anyone know which shoulder it was, shooting or non-shooting? Just wondering, no further point to be made.
First off about surgery and rehab, they saw no need to operate during the season. That in itself in my undereducated opinion must be somewhat good as far as prognosis goes; Maybe it's just more of a chronic annoyance than anything but, due to the nature of the surgery, involves an extended rehab. As far as putting on muscle, I sure hope he puts on some heavy chains and does lots of squats, lunges and bends this summer, because we probably won't see him with much more if any upper body size or strength come October. Purvis was cleared for "basketball activities" after four months, but has be been cleared to start lifting heavy? Who knows. Either way, he's not going to be making gains in rehab. It's RE-hab. Gaining strength and muscle involves successive progression and movement of external force placed on a joint beyond where you previously were. Dude will definitely not be going for a bench PR any time soon. I'm certainly no DPT though, so who knows. At least it's his non-dominant arm.

As far as his basketball development and defense, you bring up a good point of him going for blocks and being out of position, but in the end, that's what you sacrifice if you're a shot blocker. The difference between last season's team and the ones that featured our other great shot-blockers is that we had strong 4s on those teams. Hash might have missed a block, but when you have Adrien and Sticks nearby, you still have a good chance at coming away with the ball. DD was not exactly an Adrien- or Sticks-level rebounder. At least we will have Rock and a slew of big guards this season. And if AB improves and can start handling more minutes, maybe Nolan gets a little time at the 4.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Let's not do this.
Reminds me of "Survive & Advance", Jimmie V goes to barber down at NC State, barber says "I hope u do better than the prior coach", V says, " what do you mean, he won a Nat Championship?", barber says" yea, but imagine what Dean Smith would have done with that team"?---gonna be hard to better this year!

Reaction Score
I agree we have more talented team this year but it now depends on team chemistry. I wonder who's going to be the big shot maker we need at the end of game/shot clock situations.
RB or RP

Reaction Score
Can't replace Bazz!!!! Niels provided so much as a shooter and 'Senior leader'.
So IMO Ryan has to be the leader, but Purvis could develop into that 'go to guy' to compliment RB. DHam will have to be as good as advertised. Sam Cass Jr will probably have to be key scorer off the bench. Tsam and Kentan could be key off the bench as well. But as many above noted, it will be chemistry that determines how far we go in March (plus defense and rebounding) ...But I love KO's ability to motivate and develop a team! Here's hoping we are ranked 17th or 21st and no one considers us contenders!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
barber says" yea, but imagine what Dean Smith would have done with that team

Cute story, but the correct answer is "not as well". Who did less with more? Even his 2 titles came gift wrapped thanks to Freddy Brown and Chris Webber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom