Rodney Purvis on campus | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis on campus

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey! i just figgered out what mr ollies ailment was! i looked in my medical book, 'Is That Thing on Ur Knee a Goiter?' and there it was! post-partum depression! sure, he birthed his rasion d'etre, and then wondered

'let's break out the booze, and have a ball,,'

had to be a song in here, somewhere...

Reaction Score
“mr ollie was the coach of a championship ncaa basketball team, which makes him one of aboot 50 or 70”

sorry d00d, that was mr. calhoun’s team. jonathan could’ve coached that team and won a title

View attachment 77895
I don't buy this one bit.

Giffey and Boatright were freshman, Daniels was on the bench, Shabazz struggled as a Soph under Calhoun. These were the key players on that team.

All 4 of them developed under Ollie.

Reaction Score
Least surprising thing from this thread, the KO debate that never ends. Most surprising thing, it appears people have forgotten just how good Rodney Purvis was for UConn
Purvis had some limitations, many of which disappeared when he got to the NBA. I actually think he could have stuck in the league with persistence. He played great in Summer League and the open floor really helped him. He looked more like a pg out there. Europe may truly be his choice because of the job security it provides him.

Rodney was the guy staying after games and signing autographs, meeting kids and taking pictures at a time when the program was declining. He was a great ambassador, and frankly he still is. He’s pumping up Danny’s program, if it is at KO’s expense, so be it. KO got paid about 23 million dollars to run our program into the ground. He can take some hits.

Lastly, KO did coach that 2014 team. Shabazz did plenty, but KO played the right guys, made the right adjustments and instilled unwavering confidence. Who didn’t love him calling that both the Villanova and ISU games were in our control and we’d win the games during his halftime interviews? His was unwavering in his belief in that team in March.

Reaction Score
Where does Vance Jackson's father go to get his apology?
Unrelated to Purvis and KO, but I was watching Tristen Newton highlights the other day and realized that Vance Jackson was on ECU last season. Small world, lol

Reaction Score
Purvis is without question one of the nicest kids to come thru the program. He is a GREAT dude.

When I was coaching a MS team my first year coaching we went to a UConn football game and he was there with a few friend and some recruit that didn't come here. Saw a bunch of the kids in my team in their local jerseys and offered to sign them all. I was like "dude you don't need to do this, you're just enjoying a game with your friends..." but he insisted.

Kids wore those jerseys all seasin and even begged to wear home jerseys at away games to show them off. You're 100% right on this one.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Counterpoint: Nothing changed with Ollie. We got the Kevin Ollie we were gonna get.

Common line around here is “the divorce changed him”….yeah, well, the story about why he got divorced would blow that up. He was what he was.

Whatever made him a good NBA player did not translate at all. He worked hard at a game and he was admired for it. None of it translated to being a head coach.

I’m actually gonna stop. This will go for 10,000 words if I don’t. Talked a great game, but had no interest in what he was saying…bad coach, bad guy.
Agree with everything but the last two words.

To Monday Morning Quarterback it, it probably shouldn’t be a big surprise that someone with no experience running a college program didn’t end up being great at it.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this one bit.

Giffey and Boatright were freshman, Daniels was on the bench, Shabazz struggled as a Soph under Calhoun. These were the key players on that team.

All 4 of them developed under Ollie.

It’s pure hatred for anyone dumb enough to say that. Only Shabazz played meaningful minutes and had JCs confidence when that season ended. And KO was coaching the guards as well, as the assistant.

KO did a great job in the title year not even sure with the makeup of that team JC would have, whos to say. Same the year prior in the APR season to get 20 wins.

Soon after that never the same, maybe Rodney is pointing out stuff. Too bad for KO he lost his way, he had quite the future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seems tough to believe that Calhoun would have fallen for the supposed act many of you are saying KO put on. Doesn't seem like Calhoun would be one easily taken, but perhaps his perception of KO the former player skewed his judgment.
KO might’ve been better with adult supervision. In any event, Jared’s podcast with Purvis may shed more light on this topic.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When I was coaching a MS team my first year coaching we went to a UConn football game and he was there with a few friend and some recruit that didn't come here. Saw a bunch of the kids in my team in their local jerseys and offered to sign them all. I was like "dude you don't need to do this, you're just enjoying a game with your friends..." but he insisted.

Kids wore those jerseys all seasin and even begged to wear home jerseys at away games to show them off. You're 100% right on this one.

Pretty cool and I'm sure those kids still have those uniforms at the house as a nice memory as well.

Reaction Score
To me it shows both. If the rumors were correct at the time there was no love loss between Bazz and Boat.
That was more a Boston vs Chicago thing. I never saw any problem how their mom’s interacted. Etc.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yeppers, sure gonna be interesting reading the interviews and listening to the podcasts when
jmoney
corey
akok
josh
rasool
and javonte
regale us with their tales of
what the heck happened here?

if that day comes, and if we haven't achieved something meaningful by then (im easy, something that looks like last year joshy's team success will do), or if some of those guys actually turn out good, sure could get ugly. like ko's highwaters.
i'd bet that some of those guys may tell us stories of picking splinters while danny called typo's name, again and again, to no meaningful end.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
yeppers, sure gonna be interesting reading the interviews and listening to the podcasts when
jmoney
corey
akok
josh
rasool
and javonte
regale us with their tales of
what the heck happened here?

if that day comes, and if we haven't achieved something meaningful by then (im easy, something that looks like last year joshy's team success will do), or if some of those guys actually turn out good, sure could get ugly. like ko's highwaters.
i'd bet that some of those guys may tell us stories of picking splinters while danny called typo's name, again and again, to no meaningful end.
I'm a little afraid that this is the first post of yours that I have been able to comprehend, and I actually had the same thought.

As I said upthread, perception is reality.

And most of the same posters who now proclaim Ollie as the devil will be vilifying the players and not the coach in that instance.

And, they might be right in both cases. Or not.

Reaction Score
So to be fair...KO's biggest detractors so far are Purv, Sid and Vance Jackson, so far. Or Jackson's dad. Take Sid with a grain of salt since he never played for KO. Jackson has had problems everywhere he's gone. As for Bazz being the coach, that is laughable. Providing leadership is NOT coaching. Don't see anyone lining up to add him to their coaching staff even though it appears his playing days are over. Just some random thoughts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KO did a great job in the title year not even sure with the makeup of that team JC would have, whos to say. Same the year prior in the APR season to get 20 wins.
If Ollie was such a good coach, why didn't he show it after Bazz graduated? Those teams were brutal on offense, complete stagnation. Going to games was like having teeth pulled. Fact is KO never displayed any coaching chops whatsoever post-Napier.

Reaction Score
So to be fair...KO's biggest detractors so far are Purv, Sid and Vance Jackson, so far. Or Jackson's dad. Take Sid with a grain of salt since he never played for KO. Jackson has had problems everywhere he's gone. As for Bazz being the coach, that is laughable. Providing leadership is NOT coaching. Don't see anyone lining up to add him to their coaching staff even though it appears his playing days are over. Just some random thoughts.
And how many former players have we seen defending him?

Reaction Score
It was a perfectly constructed roster, built by the GOAT coach. Ollie had no clue what he was doing after Bazz left
I believe he thought he knew what he was doing which was to coach like an NBA team. He didn’t have a roster to do that which was bad on him.

Reaction Score
Bazz is a professional basketball player, that's why teams aren't lining up to hire him as a coach. Nobody lined up to hire Ollie since his UConn days, it's why he coaches high schoolers that nobody watches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom