Rodney Purvis on campus | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis on campus

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You speak about a relationship that occurred early in KO’s tenure but most of the tweets occurred after Bazz graduate
Read @8893 post #80. I’m supporting his position that there were two KOs. One up to and including the NC and the KO who imploded after the NC. I only don’t agree with those who can’t give KO credit for the NC.

Reaction Score
I love RP, but all of these "would of/could of"s are a bit off-putting. Maybe he dislikes apostrophes and/or the letter v.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t. It was an assumption based on the subtweets, which would be even more odd imo if he had already taken it up directly with Ollie.

But it could be incorrect nonetheless. Just like many other assumptions about these issues.

I just don’t see the value in relitigating them now.
I’m inclined to agree. But since it’s Purvis’s life, if he wants to talk about it, so be it.

Reaction Score
Read @8893 post #80. I’m supporting his position that there were two KOs. One up to and including the NC and the KO who imploded after the NC. I only don’t agree with those who can’t give KO credit for the NC.
Of course he deserves some credit and I definitely read that post way too quickly. I wonder based off the coach comment if Bazz leadership that year could have been leaned on with him giving off the impression of a coach

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Something changed with Ollie.
You can say that.

Calhoun made him the heir apparent afterOllie was his assistant.

NBA guys swore by Ollie.

Rodney says he wasn't genuine but yet so many people were in Ollie's corner before it went south.

He wasn't genuine but all these NBA players touted him and Calhoun believed in him.

That doesn't make sense.

Something changed, whatever it was, and it was rumored here a lot. Purvis really came at the end of the situation when it unraveled. Has nothing to do with what NBA players and Calhoun saw in Ollie before that.

Counterpoint: Nothing changed with Ollie. We got the Kevin Ollie we were gonna get.

Common line around here is “the divorce changed him”….yeah, well, the story about why he got divorced would blow that up. He was what he was.

Whatever made him a good NBA player did not translate at all. He worked hard at a game and he was admired for it. None of it translated to being a head coach.

I’m actually gonna stop. This will go for 10,000 words if I don’t. Talked a great game, but had no interest in what he was saying…bad coach, bad guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The problems with Ollie started before the championship. It was known that he was never very enthusiastic about recruiting, but he was barely bothering even before the title….I mean, we won a title and two kids decommitted a few months later because he simply never bothered to answer their calls.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m shocked at these tweets. Very rarely do you see UConn players publicly coming out against their coach. I agree that Adams should have been starting over Gibbs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agreed. Players follow a coach or tune him out based on perceptions. Players decide to stay or leave based on perceptions. Players tell other players to follow them or stay away based on perceptions. So, now that I'm all knocked out, who managed perceptions more poorly, me or KO? And psssst, little secret, no one's ever paid me to be a coach...
I don’t know when your perception management was at issue.

My point was that this is Purvis’s perception of what happened, eight years after the fact, after he visited campus and our new coach, and apparently while having a case of the sadz about what could have been for him.

There are other perceptions. Most of them have some truth and some fiction.

My takeaway is to temper my enthusiasm for Hawkins considering the source of the praise. The difference between the advance press for Purvis and the player we actually got is one of the greatest in the history of the program, rivaled by only Ajou Ajou Deng.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Counterpoint: Nothing changed with Ollie. We got the Kevin Ollie we were gonna get.

Common line around here is “the divorce changed him”….yeah, well, the story about why he got divorced would blow that up. He was what he was.

Whatever made him a good NBA player did not translate at all. He worked hard at a game and he was admired for it. None of it translated to being a head coach.

I’m actually gonna stop. This will go for 10,000 words if I don’t. Talked a great game, but had no interest in what he was saying…bad coach, bad guy.
That’s not my quote, but I do think he stopped doing his job after the National Championship.

You actually used to say the same, and that the thing that made him a good NBA player was the same thing that made him initially successful as a coach, i.e., he worked harder than anyone else. And that he stopped doing that after the Championship.

I’ve never hung it on the divorce; that seemed more symptom than cause.

But I have no first hand knowledge of anything. Just observations.

Reaction Score

Yep. He didn't just become a jerk after he got divorced. He fooled a lot of people.

Reaction Score
I don’t know when your perception management was at issue.

My point was that this is Purvis’s perception of what happened, eight years after the fact, after he visited campus and our new coach, and apparently while having a case of the sadz about what could have been for him.

There are other perceptions. Most of them have some truth and some fiction.

My takeaway is to temper my enthusiasm for Hawkins considering the source of the praise. The difference between the advance press for Purvis and the player we actually got is one of the greatest in the history of the program, rivaled by only Ajou Ajou Deng.
I like alot of what you are saying except I refuse to temper my enthusiasm for Hawkins. The kid can be special.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like alot of what you are saying except I refuse to temper my enthusiasm for Hawkins. The kid can be special.
Yeah I love Hawkins and have been very bullish on him. I was being dramatic.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Purvis is without question one of the nicest kids to come thru the program. He is a GREAT dude.
I never approach players if I see them. But at the UConn/Maine football game (they almost beat us!!) I saw Rodney and had to say "howdy" and that I enjoyed watching him get better each season. I ended by saying I hoped he didn't think I was out of bounds just coming up to him like that.

He chased me all the way to Cabela's

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
mr purvis was a good, but not great baller. he had energy, and could score. he also wasn't the sharpest tool on the floor. i think he's got a case of the crankies cuz he spent his entire youth listening to folks telling him that he's great. clock ran out, and he wasn't. gotta blame someone, right?

mr ollie was the coach of a championship ncaa basketball team, which makes him one of aboot 50 or 70 ever on this planet. i looked it up, still true, he was the coach and we did win. great for me, cuz my team won. i think either a mid life crisis (pretty common, they make movies aboot that) or girl troubles, fried his cpu, and he turned into a 'who cares?' kind of bloke. his work, especially recruiting, went straight into the toilet, and so we pulled up the welcome mat, like we're supposed to do. next! he found his juice one more time, and left with an eight figure parting gift, much to the consternation of many here, with people like me not caring either way. and that's like a thousand pages of beagletalk threads i never read, either. that's two big victories in the game of life for him (and 2 for me!). maybe his brain is reset now, too.

my only complaint with mr ko was that getup pictured here a while back, with him wearing clamdigger/highwater/capri pants making him look like urkel. dude, i don't know you.
other than that, all this stuff here sounds like hens squawking in a barnyard. that movie is over, other than the disgruntled being perpetually disgruntled.

Reaction Score
mr purvis was a good, but not great baller. he had energy, and could score. he also wasn't the sharpest tool on the floor. i think he's got a case of the crankies cuz he spent his entire youth listening to folks telling him that he's great. clock ran out, and he wasn't. gotta blame someone, right?

mr ollie was the coach of a championship ncaa basketball team, which makes him one of aboot 50 or 70 ever on this planet. i looked it up, still true, he was the coach and we did win. great for me, cuz my team won. i think either a mid life crisis (pretty common, they make movies aboot that) or girl troubles, fried his cpu, and he turned into a 'who cares?' kind of bloke. his work, especially recruiting, went straight into the toilet, and so we pulled up the welcome mat, like we're supposed to do. next! he found his juice one more time, and left with an eight figure parting gift, much to the consternation of many here, with people like me not caring either way. and that's like a thousand pages of beagletalk threads i never read, either. that's two big victories in the game of life for him (and 2 for me!). maybe his brain is reset now, too.

my only complaint with mr ko was that getup pictured here a while back, with him wearing clamdigger/highwater/capri pants making him look like urkel. dude, i don't know you.
other than that, all this stuff here sounds like hens squawking in a barnyard. that movie is over, other than the disgruntled being perpetually disgruntled.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and oh, danny, bringing around old farts who are pissed off is not really a good look for all of us now, is it. what is the point?
you've already made folks here swing 2x4s at each other with this nonsense.

Reaction Score
“mr ollie was the coach of a championship ncaa basketball team, which makes him one of aboot 50 or 70”

sorry d00d, that was mr. calhoun’s team. jonathan could’ve coached that team and won a title

1659237668680.jpeg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seems tough to believe that Calhoun would have fallen for the supposed act many of you are saying KO put on. Doesn't seem like Calhoun would be one easily taken, but perhaps his perception of KO the former player skewed his judgment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom