RJ Cole Expectations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Expectations

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A big time player would be fun. Considering our recent history with transfers, I don't expect much more than Tarin Smith production. Not that I'd be upset with that - it just seems that he is reaching Ferarri in the garage boneyard hype.
You know this kid averaged like 25 ppg his first two years? Tarin Smith? Cmon man!

Reaction Score
The fact that he is left-hand-dominant will open the floor and scoring.

Reaction Score
I love the stat projection threads... When we did this for Majok someone had him at 20 and 10 with seriousness. One year someone did the whole team and inadvertently had us averaging about 98 points a game.

And for what it's worth, Tarin Smith averaged 8-3-2. Give me a bucket more and double the assists and we should be happy.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Gilbert leaves, both Gaffney and Cole will get a ton of minutes next year, and will spend a lot of it playing together.
Agreed, just saying I look forward to their battle for minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty optimistic, mostly because I think Hurley knew exactly what he was getting with Cole given that he played for his father and was willing to spend a schollie for a year in which we were shorthanded to get him. Add to that that Hurley sees him in practice and didn't show any interest in bringing a guard in for 20-21. Could care less what that translates to in stats.

Reaction Score
Honestly I’m not expecting a lot. He was player of the year for a really low mid major. If he had t played for aDaddy Hurley I suspect he doesn’t get a return phone call. My guess is he is a depth player. 5-10 minutes/game to spell the starting point.

Reaction Score
You are badly mistaken.
Yeah the MEAC is the lowest rated conference in the country. It is generally among the bottom 3 or 4. It’s possible but unlikely that a kid who starred there will star in a major conference. More likely he will be a back up. The gap in level of play is huge. He is playing against teams we would crush night in and night out. If we get competent play from him that would be a huge bonus.

Reaction Score
He'll average 11 and 5 in 28 mins by the end of the season. He'll have to prove that he can hoop at this level. Big East isn't the conference he played in.
If he put those numbers up id be over the moon excited.

Reaction Score
Honestly I’m not expecting a lot. He was player of the year for a really low mid major. If he had t played for aDaddy Hurley I suspect he doesn’t get a return phone call. My guess is he is a depth player. 5-10 minutes/game to spell the starting point.

I don't have very high expectations immediately but you're logic is stupid. Like breathtaking stupidity. Anyways, you think Danny just threw RJ a bone because his dad coached him? More like the exact opposite situation. Danny wouldn't have offered unless the intel was great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just for some perspective...

PGs at UConn in my lifetime to average 15+ and 5+ assists...
Earl Kelley 85-86 - 19 and 6
Doron 95-96 - 16 and 6
Khalid 99-00 - 16 and 5
Bazz 13-14 - 18 and 5 (4.9)

so expecting that from Cole will put him statistically as one of our all-time great PGs and be an accomplishment that AJ (14.5 and 5.8 and 14.7 and 4.7) Marcus, Kemba (23 and 4.5), Boat, or Jalen (18.1 and 4.7) were unable to do (without rounding.)

Reaction Score
Projecting stats is kind of silly, but what would be a reasonable comparison for his game?

Sterling Gibbs with a little more athleticism?
Sterling was not a true PG but could shoot some and was a tough kid.
I worry Cole has been a tad overhyped but Gaffney is there if he fails.
Hope he is as good as advertised that would be great.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I'm very leery of expecting too much. I'm not sure how being the POY in the MEAC will translate to his performance in the Big East. I am cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
If Gilbert leaves, both Gaffney and Cole will get a ton of minutes next year, and will spend a lot of it playing together.
I really hope Gilbert stays. Can never have enough guards. Not sold on Gaffney at all. Can’t depend everything on cole

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah the MEAC is the lowest rated conference in the country. It is generally among the bottom 3 or 4. It’s possible but unlikely that a kid who starred there will star in a major conference. More likely he will be a back up. The gap in level of play is huge. He is playing against teams we would crush night in and night out. If we get competent play from him that would be a huge bonus.
Ja Morant sucks because he played in the Ohio Valley

Reaction Score

Well this confirms you’ve never seen him play. He was the best player on his team by a mile. Almost every team they played focused their defensive efforts on him. Let’s not make believe there aren’t any players in low major schools that aren’t capable of playing high D1.

Reaction Score
Well this confirms you’ve never seen him play. He was the best player on his team by a mile. Almost every team they played focused their defensive efforts on him. Let’s not make believe there aren’t any players in low major schools that aren’t capable of playing high D1.
UConn seems to get torched by a few of them every year.

Reaction Score
This is what I wrote in another thread:

"We're not getting Ja Morant. He's not an explosive athlete. Cole is crafty, deceptively quick and strong, has a very high basketball IQ and strong handle. Quick release on his jump shot and can create space for his shot but is a streaky shooter."

He can absolutely play against top level competition. He dropped 27 against Indiana and Georgetown. I think 15 and 5 is a bit much to expect, but 12-13 and 4 or 5 is reasonable. His ceiling will depend on whether he can consistently finish in traffic against high major bigs. Those thinking that we're getting another Tarin Smith or that he's a backup at this level are too dumb to engage with.

Reaction Score
That college basketball players improve year to year.

You don’t think he’s been underwhelming? Sure if he has an unreal offseason he should be in the rotation. But if he’s competing for a starting spot? We are in trouble. One cause I dont Think he’s good enough and two it means Cole isn’t that good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom