RIP Ron Bushwell | The Boneyard

RIP Ron Bushwell

Reaction Score
Guard on basketball team from 1953-1956
BushwellRon_team.jpg

Reaction Score
RIP Ron. Here is a partial snip from his obituary.

“Ron’s successes at UConn were plentiful; from receiving his bachelor’s degree in Insurance, to leading the Huskies to multiple basketball wins, to the lifelong enduring friendships he made. Ron was a tried and true, blue-bleeding Husky, and always spoke fondly of his times spent in Storrs. Most of Ron’s cherished memories from this time of his life center around basketball. As Captain, Ron led the team to the Yankee Conference Championship and earned All-Conference Recognition, the highest recognition of individual athletic accomplishment. His memorable last two games go down in the UConn basketball history books – played in the old Madison Square Garden building in NYC, Ron singlehandedly scored 24 points against Manhattan in the semifinals, and 26 points against St. Louis in the finals.

During his freshman year at UConn, Ron also met the love of his life, Rosemary (“Rose”) Gaffney. Rose was a senior in high school at the time, and often took the train up to Connecticut from her home in New Jersey to watch Ron play in his games. Ron graduated from UConn in May of 1956, and by June of that same year they were happily married.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
During his freshman year at UConn, Ron also met the love of his life, Rosemary (“Rose”) Gaffney.
Didn't realize there were family ties!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
RIP Ron. Here is a partial snip from his obituary.

“Ron’s successes at UConn were plentiful; from receiving his bachelor’s degree in Insurance, to leading the Huskies to multiple basketball wins, to the lifelong enduring friendships he made. Ron was a tried and true, blue-bleeding Husky, and always spoke fondly of his times spent in Storrs. Most of Ron’s cherished memories from this time of his life center around basketball. As Captain, Ron led the team to the Yankee Conference Championship and earned All-Conference Recognition, the highest recognition of individual athletic accomplishment. His memorable last two games go down in the UConn basketball history books – played in the old Madison Square Garden building in NYC, Ron singlehandedly scored 24 points against Manhattan in the semifinals, and 26 points against St. Louis in the finals.

During his freshman year at UConn, Ron also met the love of his life, Rosemary (“Rose”) Gaffney. Rose was a senior in high school at the time, and often took the train up to Connecticut from her home in New Jersey to watch Ron play in his games. Ron graduated from UConn in May of 1956, and by June of that same year they were happily married.”
RIP Ron. Before my time but always sad to hear of the passing of a true bleed blue Husky.

One qualm on the obit... what points are scored not singlehandedly?

Reaction Score
RIP Ron. Before my time but always sad to hear of the passing of a true bleed blue Husky.

One qualm on the obit... what points are scored not singlehandedly?
I thought the same thing. Maybe the rules were different back then and you could get on someone's shoulders?? But he chose not to??

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. Maybe the rules were different back then and you could get on someone's shoulders?? But he chose not to??
He only used his left hand. He was right handed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Know the name. He was even before my time. RIP.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
No problem. I Had to share when I read the story about calling coach Greer and being told he was out trapping. Can’t shake that image out of my head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom