RIP Pete Carril | The Boneyard

RIP Pete Carril

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
92 years old and still a monument in college basketball. Princeton was always an underdog, but always scared the living dodo out of their opponent in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I first heard of Pete Carril when I was at Lehigh. He grew up in Bethlehem and played at Lehigh's biggest rival, Lafayette, just a town away. However he moved on to Princeton after only one year at Lehigh and what an amazing job for 30 years at Princeton.

Reaction Score
I was witness to one of Princeton's biggest upset in Indianapolis when they beat UCLA in 1996. I was there for UConn's victories over Colgate and Eastern Michigan as well.

Great coach who lulled teams to sleep with their deliberate offense and backdoor cuts. Unbelievable night in Indy as most fans were rooting for Princeton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RIP Pete. Loved his Princeton teams. Creative offensive mind got a lot of the talent he had.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pete C and the Princeton weave - pure brilliance
Drove John Thompson insane to the point that he had to send his son there to learn it!!!
Loved watching the Tigers play the big boys

RIP PC

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll never forget the UCLA upset or the Georgetown near-upset

Reaction Score
I was witness to one of Princeton's biggest upset in Indianapolis when they beat UCLA in 1996. I was there for UConn's victories over Colgate and Eastern Michigan as well.

Great coach who lulled teams to sleep with their deliberate offense and backdoor cuts. Unbelievable night in Indy as most fans were rooting for Princeton.
As I recall, almost all of the players were good outside shooters, and the center was a good high post passer.

Great coach with players who fitted his scheme.

Obviously not the same talent level as Jay Wright's Villanova teams, but similar with respect to a structured scheme, a focused coach, and players willing and able to execute the scheme.

Reaction Score

Similar to you, I was lucky enough to be at the Providence Civic Center in 1989 when Princeton almost beat Georgetown. An absolute clinic by Carril in coaching an undersized, less talented, but way more disciplined and methodic team to the brink of victory. It would have been a much better story if Princeton had won, but I felt honored to have witnessed a truly classic game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom