RIP Marvin Hagler | The Boneyard

RIP Marvin Hagler

Reaction Score
My brother met him in an empty New Hampshire bar about 15 years ago and talked to him for hours. Said he was a down to earth great guy and my brother didn't even realize who he was until the bartender told him after he had already been talking to him for about two hours. RIP Marvin. Great guy and great fighter.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The late 70’s to the early 80’s were truly memorable for boxing fans with Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and the Spinks brothers all in their prime. I was really into boxing, watching all the big fights with friends like it was the SuperBowl. Today, I can’t even tell you who the heavyweight champion is.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
That round one of Hagler/Hearns is linked over on the men's board. Go to the OT thread on the topic and it's just a few posts down. I just saw it and it is 3 minutes of absolute mayhem.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Marvelous Marvin Hagler nee Marvin Nathaniel Hagler - Since the fight announcers didn't use his nickname "Marvelous," He legally changed his name to "Marvelous Marvin Hagler". He had the highest KO ratio of any middleweight. For 12 years he was the man. Just learned Marvelous for quite a while lived in Milan, Italy where he became a well-known star of action films. "His roles included a US Marine in the films Indio (1989) and Indio 2 (1991). In 1997, he starred alongside Terence Hill and Giselle Blondet in Virtual Weapn . Hagler also provided boxing commentary for British television. Another foray into the entertainment field included work in the video game Fight Night: Roud 3." He was my favorite fighter. At his death he lived in New Hampshire. Full Hagler vs. Hearns fight follows.

Reaction Score
Another giant. What a fighter! Incredible chin – one of the best in boxing history. Did he ever even go down?

Technically talented. Could fight both right and left. Terrific heart, and great finisher. Hard to believe that he ever lost. And I don’t count the decision against Sugar Ray Leonard. As the reigning champ, I agree with Hagler at the time: “that man never beat me.“

Unquestionably, one of the greatest middleweights of all time.

Reaction Score
The late 70’s to the early 80’s were truly memorable for boxing fans with Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and the Spinks brothers all in their prime. I was really into boxing, watching all the big fights with friends like it was the SuperBowl. Today, I can’t even tell you who the heavyweight champion is.
I wonder if it’s an age thing. I also never missed a televised fight. Now it’s who knew Marvelous Marvin lived in my state. Who’s the weight class champions. Although I did jump on the Rhonda Rousey bandwagon for about 5 minutes

Reaction Score
He was a true class act, you can remember him and his epic battles with Sugar Ray & Duran. This was when boxing was at his peak. Rest in Peace!!! You will be missed..

Reaction Score
One of Hearn’s right crosses buzzed Hagler for a brief second. After that, it was lights out.

Since some are sharing their history with boxing, here’s mine while we wait for the Tourney to start. (The selection show announcing the seeding offers no excitement for me. Play the games. Everything else is like watching a soap opera.)

Anyway, my grandfather was a big boxing fan. He was a bartender at the local Elks Club in Belleville NJ. At that time, the Elks Club was the biggest social club in town. The place was huge, banquet rooms, bowling allies, bandstands, dance floors, etc, and they held amateur boxing matches. No head gear and they were brawls. My grandfather took me to a some of them. I watched the Rocky Marciano/Jersey Joe Lewis ll fight with him on his 12 inch TV and I was hooked.

I went to all the big fights shown in theaters and Floyd Patterson became my favorite fighter. When Johansson knocked him out in their first fight, I was in a funk for days. When Patterson knocked Johansson out in the second fight, I was drunk for days.

I would go to Madison Square Garden every year for the Golden Glove Finals. Loads of beer and we bet on every fight not knowing anything about the fighters.....loads of beer. A great night. I paid $30 for nose bleed seats at MSG to see a great card, two championship fights: Emile Griffin/Nino Benvenuti and Joe Fraser/Buster Mathis.

Still a big fan. I watch them all. Joined ESPN+ and DAZN. ShowBox on Showtime is very good. They match top young boxers against each other. No mismatches. Great fights.

I had 3 amateur fights. Won the first two and fought a southpaw in the 3rd. I spent the whole fight wondering where the punches were coming from. I think I accused the ref for hitting me. A career ending experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom