RIP Lloyd Price | The Boneyard

RIP Lloyd Price

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Early rock and roller LLoyd Price, who gave us hits such as "Lawdy Miss Clawdy", "Personality", and "Stagger Lee" has died at 88 years old. Great entertainer who led the way for many rockers through the years. Over and over, I'll be a fool for you!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I had the great pleasure to see Lloyd Price twice back in the early 60's when both "Stagger Lee" and "Personality" were big hits. Lloyd was also a major player in putting together the "Thrilla In Manilla". Love you Lloyd. RIP to Lloyd as another part of our culture passes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
One of the greats and honestly I didn’t know he hasn’t died several years ago. RIP.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't know when I began, but I use Lawdy Miss Clawdy as an interjection when stronger terms would be unacceptable.

This was the first version I heard, when I was probably 8 or 9, and remains my favorite:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One of my favorite songs of his was "Just Because". Do you remember that song? I was in elementary school when Lawdy Miss Clawdy was popular. I'm with "cohenzone" in that I thought he died some years ago.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
When Price recorded Stagger Lee it was a B-side tune on the flip of "You Need Love", but Dee Jays liked it so much it was selling out in stores. ABC considered the story of two men gambling and one being shot to death too violent, and so when Price appeared on Dick Clark's American Bandstand he wrote new lyrics about a squabble over a girl without the deadly ending. And now it is the only thing they talk about on local news!

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
When Price recorded Stagger Lee it was a B-side tune on the flip of "You Need Love", but Dee Jays liked it so much it was selling out in stores. ABC considered the story of two men gambling and one being shot to death too violent, and so when Price appeared on Dick Clark's American Bandstand he wrote new lyrics about a squabble over a girl without the deadly ending. And now it is the only thing they talk about on local news!
That song was about two guys who lived in St. Louis. Supposedly it was a true story. At least that is what I heard. Almost anything on Dick Clark's show had to be white washed. Dance With Me Henry was a clean version of the Hank Ballard and the Midnighters song Work With Me Annie. They supposedly went to jail for that.:confused:

Reaction Score
That song was about two guys who lived in St. Louis. Supposedly it was a true story. At least that is what I heard. Almost anything on Dick Clark's show had to be white washed. Dance With Me Henry was a clean version of the Hank Ballard and the Midnighters song Work With Me Annie. They supposedly went to jail for that.:confused:
Yes. It was a response song. It was originally recorded as “Roll with me Henry” Etta had to re- record it as Dance with me Henry. Oddly the song was titled “The Wallflower”. All three versions are really good.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I threw up my hands when the recording industry powers had Pat Boone record "Tutti Frutti" . There were two or three dee jays in Pittsburgh that insisted on playing the original versions of songs, and shunned the whitewashed versions.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Kaizen, per some of your "Likes", you must be familiar with the music of the fifties and early sixties, that is, the Golden Age of R&B and Doo Wop. Where were you living in the fifties?

Reaction Score
I think I bought Lloyd Price and Paul Anka's Greatest Hits albums at the same time (They had similar jackets). Wore them out on my crappy portable record player (with a crappier "diamond" needle). Unfortunately, my only other memory of Lloyd Price: My brother was working at the Saverin Restaurant on the new Rt 95 in Milford when Lloyd Price, some of his band and (I think) the Isely Brothers had come in after playing an outdoor concert at the (now Quigley) Stadium in West Haven - My brother's comment, "He didn't look like Mr. Personality that night" - 'course, he probably worked harder than my Bro that evening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom