RIP John Chaney | The Boneyard

RIP John Chaney

Reaction Score
Saw them in NCAA opening rounds at the HCC in '88 ish. Chaney got mad at a ref, so during a timeout while his team was in the huddle he stood on the sideline and just stared/sneered at the official in an attempt to intimidate him. Bush league move.

Reaction Score
Over the last few years, Chaney's death, Fran Dunphy's "stepping down" and Phil Martelli's firing has really taken a hit on the Big Five of my childhood and early adulthood. All three Philly legends.

RIP John. One of the first mens' basketball personalities I learned about as a kid. Legend.

Reaction Score
chaney put temple on the map. when i was in junior high in ct, i thought temple was the same level program as unc

Reaction Score
Usually you let the body at least go cold before crapping on a deceased person's legacy.

Not here.
My apologies to all the members of the Chaney family who are avid BY readers.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed him back in the day. Temple was tough as nails as was Chaney. I believe in a press conference after a tough loss to UMass he went after Calipari. The look on Caipari's was priceless, almost got to him to. RIP.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He is one of the few coaches that got a matchup zone to work as a base defense. Usually it only works as a change of pace because it opens up so many holes inside the way most teams play it that teams can't stay in it very long. Chaney committed to it, and it worked for him.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Rest in Peace, Coach!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Loved watching him coach and his teams play. Got everything out of them. Love his passion for the game his community and players. And of course wished they let him get to Calapari!

Reaction Score
Saw them in NCAA opening rounds at the HCC in '88 ish. Chaney got mad at a ref, so during a timeout while his team was in the huddle he stood on the sideline and just stared/sneered at the official in an attempt to intimidate him. Bush league move.

Yeah thank god Calhoun never tried to intimidate an official. Good lord what a stupid post for a thread about a guy who just died.

Chaney was a good man and a hell of a coach. To take a school like Temple to a bunch of Elite Eights and have them nationally relevant is no small accomplishment, and he made a positive impact in a ton of peoples' lives. Not a bad legacy. Plus he tried to kill Calipari.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Vowelguy I don't see it as a bush league move either. Trying to bully refs has been around since sports started having refs. Our guy now is no shrinking violet as far as working refs go. Our hall of fame coach was damn good at it too. Yelling I'm going to kill you at Calipari is bush league. Actually killing Calipari HOF worthy. Kidding

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom