RIP Jimmy Buffett | The Boneyard

RIP Jimmy Buffett

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hope they serve Margaritas in heaven

One of my favorites. Saw him a couple times in the early 1980's (before there was an army of parrot heads and long before he became an entrepreneur) and a couple times after he was no longer an unknown (still fun but not as much as the earlier shows).

May he rest in peace.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
“I blew out my flip-flop/Stepped on a pop-top/Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home/But there’s booze in the blender/And soon it will render/That frozen concoction that helps me hang on...”

Reaction Score
I was in college in Marietta, Ohio when Margaritaville came out. We used to happily sing, "Wasted away again in Mariettaville", which was more or less true in my younger days. He was a truly great musician. Goodbye, old friend.

Reaction Score
I hope they serve Margaritas in heaven

One of my favorites. Saw him a couple times in the early 1980's (before there was an army of parrot heads and long before he became an entrepreneur) and a couple times after he was no longer an unknown (still fun but not as much as the earlier shows).

May he rest in peace.
Yes, because he needs something to wash down that Cheeseburger in Paradise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This makes me very sad. Have been a fan for a long, long time. Wished I caught the Labor Day weekend shows at Great Woods back in college. Did see him in three states. Jimmy‘s music just made the world seem better, more fun, less serious. We all need that.

He‘s off to that one particular harbor now. Never got to write A Pirate Looks at 80.

Reaction Score
Another one gone. This one is sad. I’ll be throwing a couple of his songs into my set this afternoon. RIP Jimmy. He was an original.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I first saw Buffett in the late 70's when I lived in Key West. He was playing at the West Key Bar. I became an instant fan. While never reaching the status of Parrot Head, I have followed his career since.
Some lesser known favorites:
God's Own Drunk
He went to Paris
Let's get drunk and screw
The great filling station holdup
The Captain and the Kid
There's a girl going crazy on Caroline St
My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I first saw Buffett in the late 70's when I lived in Key West. He was playing at the West Key Bar. I became an instant fan. While never reaching the status of Parrot Head, I have followed his career since.
Some lesser known favorites:
God's Own Drunk
He went to Paris
Let's get drunk and screw
The great filling station holdup
The Captain and the Kid
There's a girl going crazy on Caroline St
My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love

When I was in my mid twenties I would occasionally joke that when I got married the wedding song would be Why Don't We Get Drunk (and Screw) by Jimmy. I was never serious but I felt it made a great joke. A guy who was one of the scrubs on our softball team for a couple of years thought it was such a great idea that a few years later, when he got married (a far less formal event than many weddings) he took the mike and sang it to his bride. The clown spent about a year and a half afterward hunting me down just so he could brag to me about it.

Reaction Score
Hoisted a large Landshark Lager in Jimmy's memory and to wash down my Cheeseburger in Paradise. RIP Mr. Buffet. View of the resort from the Landshark Bar. Every time I think I might like to chuck it all and go "home" (CT), afternoons like this remind me of why I put up with the noise, traffic, tourists, expense and inconvenience of living on the beach.

1693679634174.png
1693680153476.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another amazing songwriter with how fortunate we were to have in our life. On a boat, in a bar, or with a loved one.
If I couldn't laugh I just would go insane
If we couldn't laugh we just would go insane
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane
RIP and cheers to you!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From Paul McCartney:

It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people.

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was.

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him.

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’.

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole.

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away.

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend.

Love, Paul

Reaction Score
I never thought his music was anything special. But he was the pied piper of the beach life, margarita, laid back vibe and he led a bunch of people to a lot of buzzed sunburned sunsets and he's an icon for that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I never thought his music was anything special. But he was the pied piper of the beach life, margarita, laid back vibe and he led a bunch of people to a lot of buzzed sunburned sunsets and he's an icon for that.
Too many people think of Buffett's music as Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise. I remember reading that the former was one of his least favorite recordings. Try some of his lesser known songs.

Reaction Score
Will head up to the local Margaritaville for a Landshark and cheeseburger in paradise around noon. :-(
I saw that you made good on your promise. Walk-On's Sports Bistreaux, which is in Viera FL on the space coast, will be having $3 Landsharks today (9/3) along with an artist singing Jimmy Buffet's songs. I will try to catch that this afternoon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom