Rick Neuheusel's Prophecy of DOOM... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rick Neuheusel's Prophecy of DOOM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If earlier reports are accurate, Dan and Andrea have said that they love living in New England. By itself, that may not be a strong enough reason to stay, if a strong KY offer were put on the table. However, when you factor in how close he is to his parents and how many games they attend each season, it's hard to imagine him moving away from the northeast to Kentucky. As long as his folks are able to make the short drive from northern NJ, I don't see Dan doing anything to disrupt something their entire family values and enjoys greatly. Besides that, Bob Sr. is a coaching icon in the northeast ... don't think Dan would take him away from that either.
Yeah, while there are some places that they would like every bit as much as here, I doubt there is anywhere that they would like more than living here. I imagine Lexington Kentucky, as a linf term home, at this point in their lives would have much appeal to either Dan or Andrea.

I would imagine suburban Philly, through to suburban Boston would pretty much cover their sweet spot, maybe going as far south as the Baltimore-DC area, but I imagine they know they won't find a better place than here for what they want.

I personally believe that Dan has a lot of his father in him. His father remained at St Anthony's for his career. He had some offers to run a college program but he felt none was the right fit for him. I'd wager that Dan views his current situation as being as good a first as possible at the collegiate level.

Reaction Score
where does this nba nonsense keep coming from? can someone please cite to hurley himself saying he has any interest in the nba. hurley is a very self aware person and he would be the first to acknowledge that his coaching style (not the x's and o's but his personality) would not work in the nba for a second.
He has said it a few times. He's also admitted very recently that his coaching style is not a good fit for the NBA.

Indeed, when he was introduced in Cleveland, Beilein expressed his desire to coach basketball without the constraints of the college game. That leads one to wonder if Hurley, 46, despite his family’s long association with high school and college basketball, harbors similar NBA aspirations.

“That would be my goal,” said Hurley, starting his second season at UConn, where his contract run through 2024. “I would love to win a couple of championships, get UConn back on top of the mountain. I think in the long term, you have to have goals. You have to have things you continue to drive and reach for. I want to be a championship level coach here and someday, down the road, that’s something I’d think about.”

Reaction Score
He has said it a few times. He's also admitted very recently that his coaching style is not a good fit for the NBA.

Indeed, when he was introduced in Cleveland, Beilein expressed his desire to coach basketball without the constraints of the college game. That leads one to wonder if Hurley, 46, despite his family’s long association with high school and college basketball, harbors similar NBA aspirations.

“That would be my goal,” said Hurley, starting his second season at UConn, where his contract run through 2024. “I would love to win a couple of championships, get UConn back on top of the mountain. I think in the long term, you have to have goals. You have to have things you continue to drive and reach for. I want to be a championship level coach here and someday, down the road, that’s something I’d think about.”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Calipari's salary - ~$8.5M/yr.
Hurley's salary - ~$5.3M/yr.
I'd say that $3.2M/yr would be the detailed reason.
I think DH is the type to go full Paul O'Neill.

Reaction Score
I don't have any quotes or anything to base this on but gut feeling, but I just don't see Kentucky in his future. I think as Hurley gets older, I think sticking close to his roots and being able to enjoy things like having his father at almost every game, the job he has just becomes more enjoyable for him.
UConn is a perfect fit for him because he has enough resources to recruit pretty well and disrespected enough that he can use that chip on his shoulder to really get the most of the talent that trusts him enough to go to Storrs.

Reaction Score
You sound like a Kentucky fan with their "everybody's got a price" shtick. If he was making $400k/year at UConn you might be on to something. If he had a connection to Kentucky you might be on to something. If his wife was from Kentucky you might be on to something. But just showing a bigger number compared to an already big number doesn't move the needle for a lot of people.
I hope you're right about that when it comes to DH. But I don't know him and can't guess what will and won't motivate him. He hasn't yet earned a ton of money in his career, and he says he plans to retire by 60. So, his window to cash in is relatively short. Is UConn money enough? For most of us it is. But for a lot, once they get a taste of living wealthy, it's intoxicating. Again, I hope he's satisfied right here.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right about that when it comes to DH. But I don't know him and can't guess what will and won't motivate him. He hasn't yet earned a ton of money in his career, and he says he plans to retire by 60. So, his window to cash in is relatively short. Is UConn money enough? For most of us it is. But for a lot, once they get a taste of living wealthy, it's intoxicating. Again, I hope he's satisfied right here.
UConn money is about to be a lot more.

Reaction Score
You don't think Hurley is getting a new contract at the end of the season?

They need to put a codicil that his buyout moves to $100 million in the case of Kentucky just to stop these incessant threads.
I hope so. But UConn Athletics is already under water financially. He just got a new contract last year and is the highest paid state employee by a wide margin. Even with the success of the past two years, the school may not be able to open the checkbook far enough if UK throws $10M per at him.

And I think the discussion here for most of us is a way of exorcising our anxiety about possibly losing DH just when he's got things cooking. Personally, I'm a bit comforted by the reality that Kimani could step in and probably keep things rolling - especially if Luke stays here.

Reaction Score
And I think the discussion here for most of us is a way of exorcising our anxiety about possibly losing DH just when he's got things cooking
You need an exorcism alright. Plenty of other threads on this. Didn’t need to bump one that’s a week old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom