Rick Neuheusel's Prophecy of DOOM... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rick Neuheusel's Prophecy of DOOM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also, Just because you're a p5 school doesn't mean you're automatically a football school. ASU football is garb. Haven't had more than 8 wins in a decade. Well, I guess there are probably a few crappy restaurants in Paris.

Reaction Score
There are something like 25 to 30 million reasons why there won‘t even be an opening at Kentucky within tne next 12 months.

Reaction Score
Figured this was about another one of his high dollar NCAA tournament pools.

Reaction Score
I hope Dave doesn't go, but I can see why Arizona St. would be attractive since he is from Tempe, worked at Arizona St., and his wife was an All-American at Arizona St. If he does leave, I will thank him for everything he has done and wish him good luck. Again, I hope he doesn't.

Now, if Benedict did leave, my first phone call would be to Brian White the AD at FAU. Father was AD at Duke, Notre Dame, Arizona St., Tulane,... Brothers are AD at Tennessee (and UCF, Buffalo) and men's basketball HC at Georgia. Hired Dusty May as basketball coach and Tom Herman as football coach at FAU. Played the conference realignment game moving FAU from CUSA to the AAC.
Very interesting. Keep this in your mental Roladex and if Dave Benedict does end up leaving you should write to the UConn Athletic Dept. Seriously, these are very good points assuming you are telling this accurately.

Reaction Score
There are something like 25 to 30 million reasons why there won‘t even be an opening at Kentucky within tne next 12 months.
That's what I was going to state as well. Calipari, if I am not mistaken has a $33M buyout. And then on top of that, Kentucky might have to pay a buyout of the coach they hire depending on the new coaching hire's contract.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Every Kentucky fan thinks the can just go get Dan Hurley, which is funny because when he came here their fans (& most around college basketball) thought he was a clown show on the sideline and not cut out to be a successful high major college coach.

Now every team wants Dan Hurley.

Everyone is under the impression UConn has no money, UConn has poor facilities, UConn can't win without being in a P5, etc. None of these talking heads or Kentucky fans know anything about UConn, our facilities, our NIL or Connecticut's commitment to college basketball (literally all the way up through the Governor's Office).

Not saying it couldn't happen, but Dan Hurley going to Kentucky would take something insane like $100 million for 6 years. If they want to give him $18 million per year to coach a game, more power to them.

Reaction Score
Not that this means anything, but a friend of mine who's in his 60s, huge ASU fan, alum, and resident, said, just last week, that it's so hard to succeed at ASU (besides baseball) because the fan base has so many other pro teams to divert their attention. Which is why ASU football and basketball have struggled for so long. The interest in sun devil sports is not really there.
I can't say for certain if this is true, but I'll trust the boots on the ground more than the boots on the internet.
I don’t buy that. “So many pro sports” lmao let’s not act like Phoenix is Boston or NY or Chicago or LA. Not that that’s some excuse for not succeeding anyway; just look at us.

As far as why there isn’t some huge fan base, first off, if ASU were consistently good, they’d show up. But I have a feeling a very big portion of ASU alums came in from out of state for four cheap years of partying and then they move on. My fiancé went there and of her circle of friends, not one was from AZ.

Reaction Score
I heard the Craft family offered the buyout for Calipari but then they got stuck over paying the contract for the new replacement and who it would be.

Hurley is never leaving for another college job.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What an idiot Neuheusel is

Those who can do, those who can't talk, but idiots just make it up and throw it against the wall

Buffoon

Reaction Score
Calipari's salary - ~$8.5M/yr.
Hurley's salary - ~$5.3M/yr.
I'd say that $3.2M/yr would be the detailed reason.
You don't think Hurley is getting a new contract at the end of the season?

They need to put a codicil that his buyout moves to $100 million in the case of Kentucky just to stop these incessant threads.

Reaction Score
DH has been moderatly open to the idea of moving to the NBA. That seems more likely.
where does this nba nonsense keep coming from? can someone please cite to hurley himself saying he has any interest in the nba. hurley is a very self aware person and he would be the first to acknowledge that his coaching style (not the x's and o's but his personality) would not work in the nba for a second. just like saban and the nfl. you cannot be a control freak in the pros where the players are grown men.

i'm not worried about him leaving for the nba at all. maybe if we won 3 chips in the next 5 years and he got bored and needed a new challenge and another school doubled his salary, but that's not happening.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
idiots just make it up and throw it against the wall
But if this were true it would mean like 95% of people on the boneyard are…

Oh.

Reaction Score
I heard the Craft family offered the buyout for Calipari but then they got stuck over paying the contract for the new replacement and who it would be.

Hurley is never leaving for another college job.
Yep. Don’t know about the Crafts or any other big Kentucky donors, but I figure that the same people that will be asked to pay for the buyout, are also paying for the players, and those costs have risen, and will continue to rise since NIL. Then as you’ve noted, there’s the high cost of a replacement.

Its hard enough to keep asking someone keep opening their wallet for ever increasing amounts in what at point will be an unsustainable system. But thirty million to squid so he can go play golf? A bridge too far I think.

Then, if it were happen, the University now painfully aware of the risks associated with these long term mega contracts, would have to do their best to mitigate them in the next contract, which will make their offer package less attractive, which …….They are screwed.

Reaction Score
I get that. That salary bridge can be closed with a new contract. But he will be able to monetize the press/fame/gravitas that he will get from taking Uconn to heights never before reached, even by the great Jim Calhoun. He already did accomplish things Calhoun never did: back to back final fours, Widest margin of victory in tourney for an Uconn team, in back to back years, and soon maybe back to back titles. At Kentucky he will be the "new Cal". I could be wrong, but I think DH likes being the man. And he is the man here.

Reaction Score
If earlier reports are accurate, Dan and Andrea have said that they love living in New England. By itself, that may not be a strong enough reason to stay, if a strong KY offer were put on the table. However, when you factor in how close he is to his parents and how many games they attend each season, it's hard to imagine him moving away from the northeast to Kentucky. As long as his folks are able to make the short drive from northern NJ, I don't see Dan doing anything to disrupt something their entire family values and enjoys greatly. Besides that, Bob Sr. is a coaching icon in the northeast ... don't think Dan would take him away from that either.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
where does this nba nonsense keep coming from? can someone please cite to hurley himself saying he has any interest in the nba. hurley is a very self aware person and he would be the first to acknowledge that his coaching style (not the x's and o's but his personality) would not work in the nba for a second. just like saban and the nfl. you cannot be a control freak in the pros where the players are grown men.

i'm not worried about him leaving for the nba at all. maybe if we won 3 chips in the next 5 years and he got bored and needed a new challenge and another school doubled his salary, but that's not happening.
I'm not going to find it for you, but he has stated this before in interviews.

IMO, which isn't DH's, it would take a lot of money to get him to move right now - I think he's a hell of a lot more motivated to build something and win than the dollar (because it's not like he's poor).

Reaction Score
I would hate to be forced to ever hate DH...but if he left UConn for KY (or any other CBB) he would be dead to me. If he "retired" from UConn and then at some point decided to get back into coaching and went elsewhere, that's kosher....but jumping ship directly, dead to me.

NBA is fine to jump ship to but not another CBB program....we are UConn.

Reaction Score
DH has been moderatly open to the idea of moving to the NBA. That seems more likely.
Don't do it Dan!

I'm not going to find it for you, but he has stated this before in interviews.

IMO, which isn't DH's, it would take a lot of money to get him to move right now - I think he's a hell of a lot more motivated to build something and win than the dollar (because it's not like he's poor).
I've read it too, forget where, but maybe he changed his mind too.

As long as his folks are able to make the short drive from northern NJ
Meh, the family and DH are rich enough, if that's the case what's a private jet (rental) vs a short drive. Private jet to Kentucky a few times a year might be fun and even more comfortable. Granted that's merely a HYPOTHETICAL and I'm sure it's never going to happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is great regardless of this years outcome but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. We have zero indication he’s going anywhere and he has expressed no dissatisfaction with his pay. Why can’t fans just enjoy the moment without bringing this up pointlessly during Final Four week?

Reaction Score
Does this include performance bonuses for Hurley? That might get him closer to Cal.

Reaction Score
Think you put this to bed by guaranteeing more money for him and his assistants. Maybe 2 more a year for Dan and another million to spread around. They have earned it.

Doing that takes away the incentive for he or his agent to pick up the phone. 3 million (or whatever the actual number) now will turn into a lot more if we make him make us counteroffer.

Reaction Score

You sound like a Kentucky fan with their "everybody's got a price" shtick. If he was making $400k/year at UConn you might be on to something. If he had a connection to Kentucky you might be on to something. If his wife was from Kentucky you might be on to something. But just showing a bigger number compared to an already big number doesn't move the needle for a lot of people.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I think you all put too much emphasis on the money aspect. I love where I live, and if I were making 5 million a year here and running the most successful men's college basketball program in the country, no amount of money would get me to move to Kentucky.

Reaction Score
You sound like a Kentucky fan with their "everybody's got a price" shtick. If he was making $400k/year at UConn you might be on to something. If he had a connection to Kentucky you might be on to something. If his wife was from Kentucky you might be on to something. But just showing a bigger number compared to an already big number doesn't move the needle for a lot of people.
I really don't get some of our fans, they're in some constant state of dread even though things simply don't get better than this...

We're currently doing something that's unprecedented in the sport, we have the best program in the sport, we have the best coach in the sport, we have a whole state behind us, more and more people from around the country are becoming UConn fans, and we've shown over and over again basketball is paramount to the University and the state of Connecticut.

I don't understand why this gets talked about over and over. He's not leaving for another college job. IMO there's a decent chance he's not going to grow old here as a coach and at some time down the road he may want to try the NBA if the right head coaching job opens up but leaving for another college job is a total non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom