Richard Springs Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Commits to UConn

pj

Reaction Score
Video has been posted a few times but there are a few highlights from Springs(#13) and shows the connection he'll have straight away with Bouknight. Springs easily looks like the tallest, longest guy on the court. Great assist to Bouk towards the end.

Impressed with Bouknight. When he wants to turn on the quickness, he flashes right by guys.

Reaction Score
Yeah, as someone with zero inside knowledge, I just get the feeling that somehow we will have three scholarship available in 2020. Thomas, Jackson, and a solid big man would be a great class to me.

I can’t seem to find the reference but I’m pretty sure that one of the Horde’s articles (I thought Borges at the Register) announcing Springs had listed we’d be going after 3-4 players in 2020. I hesitate to even mention this because it looks to have been edited but I’m wondering if others read the same thing?

Reaction Score
I can’t seem to find the reference but I’m pretty sure that one of the Horde’s articles (I thought Borges at the Register) announcing Springs had listed we’d be going after 3-4 players in 2020. I hesitate to even mention this because it looks to have been edited but I’m wondering if others read the same thing?
I read that too and was a little surprised

Reaction Score

I believe it was Amore’s in the Courant but it appears to have been edited as well.

Reaction Score
Springs commitment should put us around #18 in 247's class rankings for 2019. They haven't moved him to the 2019 class yet so used the closest graded player they had (ironically Paul Mulcahy who we recruited)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Lol

Great get!! Congrats to the staff for getting this done!! And I know I speak for all TRUE fans when I say thank you to those on this board that provided legit info on the progress of this recruitment. Vs the CASUAL fan who is only on here for self-aggrandizement and brought nothing real to the table. What’s next Chief, are you gonna break the story to “stay tuned, we are not done recruiting for the future”??

Good job by the staff, none of which Chief knows better than anyone else on this board!!
Excuse me while I stand up for the casual fan. Self-Aggrandizement! this post is nothing but your trying to stake a claim to self-glory while trying to elevate yourself to some level of insider while putting down us casuals. I come to the table to with thanks, but it is not your table. There are some who provide interesting tid-bits. Which is actually the level of real information. Its fun to speculate on rumors, innuendos and assumptions. But in the end of the day there are only 8-10 real insiders and about 90% of them report to Dan Hurley. Go UConn, Go Hurley (BTW Chief, I enjoy your notes and the provocative way you spice up the board.)

Reaction Score
Welcome Richie Springs to UConn Nation! Glad to have you here. Looking forward to having you on the team for the next few years.

Really pleased that Hurley filled this roster spot with a good prospect, one who will develop, but will also get minutes this year, filling a serious need we have at the power 4 spot. I welcome the addition of Richie Springs, an active interior player with height, length and IQ, who gets after it on the boards, and provides versatility and depth on both offense and defense. Did not want to see us play this year with no muscle at the 4 spot.

We are a better more complete team; feeling much better about this year now.

Reaction Score
Interesting how our road to the big-time came when we recruited nationally successfully and the key to our rejuvenation seems to be how well we can continue to recruit locally.

It’s not that simple. We have to reestablish that local recruiting foundation.

pj

Reaction Score
Interesting how our road to the big-time came when we recruited nationally successfully and the key to our rejuvenation seems to be how well we can continue to recruit locally.

That was in an era when ESPN was new, national television exposure was exciting to kids, and the Big East brought great TV exposure that other conferences were lacking, so Calhoun could sell to players all over the country. Now those advantages over other conferences are gone, and what matters most is relationships with the AAU and prep school coaches, and player networks generally. Those are best cultivated locally, because there's no substitute for frequent in-person contact. We have a terrific local talent base and if we re-establish ourselves as the top program of the northeast, local recruiting will be enough to make us a consistent top-10 program.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Full game footage of Springs. Solid passer from the elbow and blocks. Lots of room a for improvement!

This kid understands the game. I take back my comparison to Facey. The last big to big passer we had was Daniel Hamilton. In this game Richie looked better than that. He’s the anti Selvie play wise.

He moves to the basket for rebounds the moment the ball is released. More impressive is he has an eye for how the ball comes off the rim.

The Macduffie coach knows how to teach his players. I would have pulled the trigger for this kid on this game alone.

My take is that coach Hurley preferred securing a back up five to Carlton this year and maybe take Richie next year depending on how the chips fell.

UConn fans are going to love Bouknight. He’s exciting and does things that will make opposing coaches lose sleep before playing us.

Richie is a player who will go unnoticed by many fans but will be a major contributor. The one thing that is a question mark is whether this kid can become strong and fast enough to play at this level and if so when.

If the scholarship situation and needs weren’t so critical taking Richie is a no brainer. If we had more depth with the four and five positions Hurley would have the option of red shirting Richie. That likely won’t happen.

I’m not sure the type of conditioning Sal will have Richie do given the likelihood he’s still growing but he has the frame to be big and muscular.

IMO Richie has a very small probability (2%) of being a bust, a 48% chance of being an important role player and a 50% chance of a Hilton trajectory.

This is the type of recruit that could make or destroy the reputation of Hurley. Richie is not without risk. But if he reaches my optimistic potential Dan will look like a genius.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Excuse me while I stand up for the casual fan. Self-Aggrandizement! this post is nothing but your trying to stake a claim to self-glory while trying to elevate yourself to some level of insider while putting down us casuals. I come to the table to with thanks, but it is not your table. There are some who provide interesting tid-bits. Which is actually the level of real information. Its fun to speculate on rumors, innuendos and assumptions. But in the end of the day there are only 8-10 real insiders and about 90% of them report to Dan Hurley. Go UConn, Go Hurley (BTW Chief, I enjoy your notes and the provocative way you spice up the board.)

Thank you. The Grind continues after celebrating last night. Next man up?

C

Chief00

This kid understands the game. I take back my comparison to Facey. The last big to big passer we had was Daniel Hamilton. In this game Richie looked better than that. He’s the anti Selvie play wise.

He moves to the basket for rebounds the moment the ball is released. More impressive is he has an eye for how the ball comes off the rim.

The Macduffie coach knows how to teach his players. I would have pulled the trigger for this kid on this game alone.

My take is that coach Hurley preferred securing a back up five to Carlton this year and maybe take Richie next year depending on how the chips fell.

UConn fans are going to love Bouknight. He’s exciting and does things that will make opposing coaches lose sleep before playing us.

Richie is a player will go unnoticed by many fans but will be a major contributor. The one thing that is a question mark is whether this kid can become strong and fast enough to play at this level and if so when.

If the scholarship situation and needs weren’t so critical taking Richie is a no brainer. If we had more depth with the four and five positions Hurley would have the option of red shirting Richie. That likely won’t happen.

I’m not sure the type of conditioning Sal will have Richie do given the likelihood he’s still growing but he has the frame to be big and muscular.

IMO Richie has a very small probability (2%) of being a bust, a 48% chance of being an important role player and a 50% chance of a Hilton trajectory.

This is the type of recruit that could make or destroy the reputation of Hurley. Richie is not without risk. But if he reaches my optimistic potential Dan will look like a genius.
Great post. It’s good to see the appreciation of Big to Big passing and respect for rebound positioning and instinct - before the ball hits the rim.
I know Jim Calhoun always taught how important desire is in rebounding. This kid recognizes the importance of it and goes out and does it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great post. It’s good to see the appreciation of Big to Big passing and respect for rebounding positioning and instinct - before the ball hits the rim.
I know Jim Calhoun always taught how important desire is in rebounding. This kid recognizes the importance of it and goes out and does it.
I agree. People should watch this game just to observe what we’ve been missing for a long time. I’m hoping there will be opportunities for Richie and Carlton get some playing time together. I can’t imagine Dan will do this early in the game because Richie will be needed as a backup to let Carlton rest or gets in foul trouble but that combo on the floor together has me excited.

C

Chief00

I agree. People should watch this game just to observe what we’ve been missing for a long time. I’m hoping there will be opportunities for Richie and Carlton get some playing time together. I can’t imagine Dan will do this early in the game because Richie will be needed as a backup to let Carlton rest or gets in foul trouble but that combo on the floor together has me excited.
They are both good kids and coachable and Coach Hunter does a good job, in Chief’s opinion.

Reaction Score

Richie is a player who will go unnoticed by many fans but will be a major contributor. The one thing that is a question mark is whether this kid can become strong and fast enough to play at this level and if so when.

C'mon man, a 3 star recruit who was picked up out of necessity will in no way destroy Hurley's reputation if he is a bust.

If the word redshirt ever came up with Springs he would have stayed at Brewster, so even if we had the depth that was never an option.

Reaction Score
The rebounding and general smash-i-ness of Springs is what I like. And frankly, we just haven't had guys like that recently. And it's still a gaping hole on this roster. We get pounded in and when we shoot poorly, there's zero margin for error.

I think so long as people maintain perspective on him and what he is - he'll be a guy people like. IMHO - he's no NBA kinda guy. Four year banger with the potential to expand his game a little bit; but even if he just gets better at what he does well already - he'll be a good piece to have.

C

Chief00

The rebounding and general smash-i-ness of Springs is what I like. And frankly, we just haven't had guys like that recently. And it's still a gaping hole on this roster. We get pounded in and when we shoot poorly, there's zero margin for error.

I think so long as people maintain perspective on him and what he is - he'll be a guy people like. IMHO - he's no NBA kinda guy. Four year banger with the potential to expand his game a little bit; but even if he just gets better at what he does well already - he'll be a good piece to have.
Good post / somehow it’s become fashionable to minimize the importance of rebounding and quite frankly Chief doesn’t understand that. There have been just too many teams that have eaten our lunch on the offensive glass the last few years creating losses.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
@Towney007 you mentioned in the other thread there was a backstory on why we picked up Springs for 2019 (other than the fact the staff liked him)... can you share any of that yet?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom