Rich with more on Dolson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rich with more on Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
“You need a four-man that can score to take some of the pressure off there,’’ Auriemma said. “Not having somebody like Maya makes it so much easier for them to trap her. And when you get a big kid who’s not quick enough to get out of the double teams, it’s just a problem. Big guys don’t mind playing against other big guys because you can handle that. But when big guys are playing against smaller guys that are quicker than they are and can get there – it’s like what we did to (Baylor 6-8 All-American) Brittney Griner last year at our place. You surround her with a bunch of little guys – they can’t handle that. And Stefanie’s not handling that real well right now. But Kiah’s getting better, and we’re going to have to make some changes in how we attack defenses from here on in.’’

LINK
now I really understand why CD isnt giving Kiah praise... they dont want her to settle, there's more growing to be done to help Dolson become the threat she as last season

Reaction Score
We are having trouble running offense and you want to further limit us by using Buck? Seriously?

Ya think?

Seriously? Nah, you just gotta be messin'.

I think I was not "just gotta be messin'."

I guess the whole compare their stats part (interpolating) was too much to ask. It was not to definitively suggest anything other than she at least deserves some time on the floor.

My opinion is that despite Buck's reluctance to shoot, she runs the offense just fine as her lateral quickness is superior to the other posts - meaning she can get to her spot, set a proper screen at the high block (without moving) and rotate low as well, if not better than the other bigs. She also - in limited action - has shown that she can help on the offensive boards.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think I was not "just gotta be messin'."
Bummer. That's too bad. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I guess the whole compare their stats part (interpolating) was too much to ask.
Yea, not really needed. Just watch. There's a world of talent difference between Dolson and Buck.

It was not to definitively suggest anything other than she at least deserves some time on the floor.
She is getting the deserved time on the floor.

My opinion is that despite Buck's reluctance to shoot, she runs the offense just fine as her lateral quickness is superior to the other posts - meaning she can get to her spot, set a proper screen at the high block (without moving) and rotate low as well, if not better than the other bigs. She also - in limited action - has shown that she can help on the offensive boards.

umm, just no.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've been a bit philosophical the last few days; caused one of my best posts to be ignored...too wordy, but here goes again:

This thread reminds me of the UTenn. board after one of their disastrous losses, everyone chiming in with their coaching solutions to save the team, mostly involving lineup changes or substitution patterns and here we are doing the same thing; I know its driving Nan nuts.

Why are we doing this?

For one thing, there is a pattern of...lets call it loyalty in the starting line-up. You know who is going to start and you know who the first sub is and you know (although not discussed so much this year) that there is no anointed point guard this season. You also know (as the season developed) who is going to sub for Steff. you know that Kelly probably won't score much although you can't be sure of that.

You also know that you're probably not going to see much of Heather (unless you're playing Baylor), likewise Brianna, and certainly not Lauren and Michala unless its a blowout.

And herein lies the rub; we have a lot of very intelligent, knowledgable fans on this board, they even have a few over there...and there is just too much we don't know because of the closed nature of the preparation process.

We have to rely on the forever repeated mantra "its how they do in practice," reminds me a bit of the faith required by organized religions. Its all fine when things are going swimmingly but when there's some concerns then imaginative (rational?) thinking takes over and belief is suspended (reminds me a little of the young priest and mentor at St. Thomas, fifth Avenue, who after working at the 9/11 site for a few months, decided he didn't in god anymore). i know that I'm tired of it.

The hard questions, that might offer real insight into the process are never asked or answered.
Is the team physically or mentally exhausted? Why are several of our key players seemingly performing well off their norms and especially: Is there no one at the recess of the bench that can help?

The program has a long and illustrious history of unusual success. But at least for the last few years it has played with a very short roster. Perhaps, this year, that is going to come back and really bite us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The hard questions, that might offer real insight into the process are never asked or answered.
Is the team physically or mentally exhausted? Why are several of our key players seemingly performing well off their norms and especially: Is there no one at the recess of the bench that can help?
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were really tired. Geno said during his show before the SJU game that the Huskies had 4 games in 9 days - on the road to Duke, home to Storrs, then out to Oklahoma then home for an emotional Senior Day. Fatigue is definitely an issue. Tomorrow they head to Pittsburgh, come back for a couple of days before heading out to Milwaukee. The ND game is in Hartford 2 days after the Marquette game. It's a grueling schedule. (on a side note: I really want UConn to go to the ACC. Can you imagine going to Texas, Memphis Tennessee, and another team in Florida in addition to Chicago, South Bend, Milwaukee, Louisville and Cincinnati?)
The program has a long and illustrious history of unusual success. But at least for the last few years it has played with a very short roster. Perhaps, this year, that is going to come back and really bite us.
Geno had no choice last year with injuries (Caroline, Michala sort of) and attrition (Samarie). The year before, though, he went 8 or 9 deep, getting solid contributions from Lorin and Kaili in key games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I think the team is both physically and mentally exhausted. The past few weeks have been grueling, with a number of Sat/Monday-Tues games in which one of the two has been on the road and the Mon/Tues games have been against tough opponents and in hostile arenas. Kelly is just not herself and I wonder if guarding different types of players, including bigger fowards, has taken a toll on her. Bria's perimeter shot is off which is also a sign of fatigue. Geno has been very stubborn with Banks and can not bring himself to allow her to play through her mistakes. The result is a shortened guard rotation which becomes even shorter when Doty is unable to play a lot of minutes because of ineffectiveness, a sore knee or losing her teeth like Saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom