Rest The Usual Starters? I'm Serious. Maybe. | The Boneyard

Rest The Usual Starters? I'm Serious. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The next opponent, Memphis, poses little threat to the best team in WCBB. So, why not give Stewie, Tuck, Chong and MoJet a night off? Here's why it makes sense:

1- Each player is coming off an injury, and extra time for healing makes sense. While Saniya isn't a starter, the benefit still applies.
2- We would see Ek, Lou, Pheesa, Nat, and maybe even T-Law get more minutes to facilitate their growth.
3- More players with meaningful minutes helps us at tournament time.

Here's why not:

1- Not Geno's style
2- According to players, the games are easier compared to practice
3- Somewhat disrespectful or insulting to the opponent / the game
4- Some ticket buyers might grumble

I doubt that anybody rests much vs. Memphis, but who knows? What have I failed to note?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the statistically minded AA voters, it matters. Just shave some minutes. Sorta like lowering the rev count on a performance engine for durability's sake. Stress it, then rest it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a rhythm to playing basketball or any sport and it is important to maintain that rhythm during the season as much as you can - starters start, bench players get used in particular ways at particular points in a game, everybody maintains their rhythm. Rest Moriah for a game and it throws everyone else off in that game and throws Moriah off in the next one. Doesn't mean you play them 35 minutes, but you start them at the beginning of the game and again coming out of half time. And the same for bench players - they need to get into the flow of warming up before the game, sitting, and then controlling the adrenaline rush that comes when coach points to them and they run to the scorers table.

And respecting the game is a big part of what the coaches preach. That includes playing the best basketball you are capable of every second on the court, and carries over to the coaches putting the best team available on the floor when the score is tied 0-0.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I co-sign everything UcMiami said. Also, I'm still a little peeved over the time that the Sky sat their starters (on Fan Appreciation Night!) when I had made a special effort to go. Not fun to spend money and spend an hour on public transit only to watch EDD warm up and then plant herself on the bench for 40 minutes. You owe it to the fans to have your best players play at least some if they are healthy and available, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
The next opponent, Memphis, poses little threat to the best team in WCBB. So, why not give Stewie, Tuck, Chong and MoJet a night off? Here's why it makes sense:

1- Each player is coming off an injury, and extra time for healing makes sense. While Saniya isn't a starter, the benefit still applies.
2- We would see Ek, Lou, Pheesa, Nat, and maybe even T-Law get more minutes to facilitate their growth.

Here's why not:

1- Not Geno's style

I doubt that anybody rests much vs. Memphis, but who knows? What have I failed to note?
I don't think so. It's not a case of just 5 or 6 players anymore that can be trusted. Geno's got 8 or 9 now he has to get ready. So many possible combinations to evaluate. He has to determine which combinations work the best.

Jim

Reaction Score
The way Geno and the staff run practices, getting to play in games is the way the players are rewarded. I understand the wear and tear argument, limit the minutes for someone who is dinged up, but let the kids, who came to UCONN to play basketball, play basketball.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno has wisely stated that wcbb is a form of entertainment, competing currently for expenditure of entertainment dollars ot tv ratings with Star Wars, NFL playoffs, NHL, NBA and mbcc. This is an incomplete list, of course, and soon to be joined by Super Bowl, March Madness, Masters Golf, Stanley Cup, NASCAR and MLB.

Thus, to support Geno's unassailable logic, it would be beyond stupid to deliberately "treat" paying or viewing customers to an inferior product.

Geno is right. Give 'em their money's worth. :)

Reaction Score

Here's why not:

1- Not Geno's style

Obviously you never played or coached competitive sports. It starts with your heading I'm serious / maybe. No bashing here as I realize you are a fellow fan, but you have to pick a side of the fence.:)
Nobody spends thousands of hours to hone their game, get accepted at a premiere institution with a scholarship to sit and watch players of lesser talent. This unless it is time for a blow / injury or the game has been decided.
Yes they are all teammates and get the camaraderie thing but they also know here the only goal is the NC. To achieve that goal Geno has to work multiple combinations due to what may come down the road injuries etc and get starters valuable time against other than teammates.
I guess what you failed to note is simply second guessing Geno which few tend to do....:D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is one point here in favor of the thread originator.

Undoubtedly the time off greater assisted Morgan who was more mobile last game than she has been in weeks, perhaps since the start of the season.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Here's why not:

1- Not Geno's style

3 things:
.Healthy players want to play
..Practices are harder than games
...At this stage of his career; at this stage of the season, an experienced coach(as Geno) pretty well knows which players he will use when the final game of the season is on the line.

Reaction Score

Here's why not:

1- Not Geno's style

The players, I do not think they would like not playing if they are not hurt. Me I'd want to play no matter what. Just saying.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
When warranted I want to see Geno have Gabby, Natalie, Napheesa, Katie-Lou and Kia on the floor at the same time. This most likely with the possible exception of replacing Saniya for Gabby COULD be next years starting lineup. While Morgan has said she is coming back, there's no guarantee. When the games are out of control let as many of next years starters get as much playing time together as possible. Due to the Olympics team won't have an overseas trip next year which would have been an ideal time to have one.

I'm more concerned about recruiting and wish Geno had already gotten more verbals for 2017. While Geno and coaching staff are working with the Senior Team, other teams are going to actively involved with the Elite 2017 players. Geno only signed Saniya during the 2012 Olympic Year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When warranted I want to see Geno have Gabby, Natalie, Napheesa, Katie-Lou and Kia on the floor at the same time. This most likely with the possible exception of replacing Saniya for Gabby COULD be next years starting lineup. While Morgan has said she is coming back, there's no guarantee. When the games are out of control let as many of next years starters get as much playing time together as possible. Due to the Olympics team won't have an overseas trip next year which would have been an ideal time to have one.

I'm more concerned about recruiting and wish Geno had already gotten more verbals for 2017. While Geno and coaching staff are working with the Senior Team, other teams are going to actively involved with the Elite 2017 players. Geno only signed Saniya during the 2012 Olympic Year.
I am not sure anything would warrant resting the NPOY and the Best PG in the nation & and a future AA in Tuck. Next years players have the remainder of this season to play with and practice against three of the best UCONN players of all time-they should take advantage of every minute of that because it will only make them better. Only 9 (1 to UCONN) of the top 60 kids from the class of 2017 have committed. Saniya HS class '13 is the one perpetually leaking with transfers so Geno and UCONN made out alright.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I would be quite surprised if the coaching staff did "rest" his starters... More than likely they might "tweak" the rotation so the starters play less time as a group and more time (but less than they normally would play) being teamed up with the non-starters...

As Geno said in one of his post game interviews, they still haven't replaced KML's threes and Kiah Stokes' defense... We have the tools but they need to be worked into greater contributions with the starters...

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Obviously you never played or coached competitive sports. It starts with your heading I'm serious / maybe. No bashing here as I realize you are a fellow fan, but you have to pick a side of the fence.:)
I guess what you failed to note is simply second guessing Geno which few tend to do....:D

All I did was to identify two options that are in front of our coaches. Just two of the many that may exist. I was wondering at my keyboard which action seemed most reasonable to my fellow BY'ers. That isn't "second guessing" at all. It's called a hypothetical situation. And no, in this instance I don't have to pick a side of the fence, as there is no fence, and I have no position on the question. I thought it might be fun to chat about it. I think most of those who replied understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom