Research | The Boneyard

Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello, Husky Fans!

The Experimental Anthropology Lab and The Center for the Ecological Study of Perception and Action are conducting a study with fans of UConn’s basketball teams!

If you are a fan who regularly watches games of the basketball teams and/or follows the news, you are eligible to participate in our study!
We are interested in your behavior during the time you attend the home games at Gampel Pavillion (Storrs-CT), or during the time you watch the away games on TV in our lab.
We will measure your physiological responses using noninvasive technology, and will ask you to fill in some short questionnaires about your experience as a fan.

As a reward for your participation, you will enter a raffle for 20 prizes of $400 that can help you buy your next season ticket!

More importantly, sports fans are the driving force behind sporting events. Scientific research can help us understand and improve fans’ experience. We are researchers (and fans ourselves!) motivated by our research interests and our love of sports, and we have no financial or other commitment to any particular team or any for-profit organization. We simply want to understand the experience of fanship!

Click the link below to read more about this project and to answer our recruitment questionnaire: http://tinyurl.com/h5d9qab

This research was approved by UConn’s Institutional Review Board, which reviews all research involving human subjects to guarantee their ethical treatment.

We would like your support!
The Research team

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Is this a study "with fans" (as stated) or "of fans" (implied)?

If the latter, I'll save the Center for the Ecological Study of Perception and Action and the Experimental Anthropology Lab a lot of time and trouble.

Proceed to your pre-ordained conclusion: We're all nuts!
Head bang

Reaction Score
Is this a study "with fans" (as stated) or "of fans" (implied)?

If the latter, I'll save the Center for the Ecological Study of Perception and Action and the Experimental Anthropology Lab a lot of time and trouble.

Proceed to your pre-ordained conclusion: We're all nuts!
Head bang

As a psychology major during my undergraduate years who is a big fan of UConn WBB, I "liked" this post. That is all.

Geez, we might end up damaging their equipment ...and replacing it might come out of the basketball budget. :eek:

I'll respectfully abstain. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Geez, we might end up damaging their equipment ...and replacing it might come out of the basketball budget. :eek:

I'll respectfully abstain. :rolleyes:

Experimental Anthropology Lab
I thought that would be right up your alley!!
Big question----what experiments shall they conduct on the "subjects"???/
Where will the electrodes /sensors be applied/? Hmmmm?

Reaction Score
Experimental Anthropology Lab
I thought that would be right up your alley!!
Big question----what experiments shall they conduct on the "subjects"???/
Where will the electrodes /sensors be applied/? Hmmmm?
The link below has some explanations with images of the equipment.
It was carefully prepared to inform you about the experiment. In short, no electrodes are being used, and equipment is going to be in your upper arm and chest.

Reaction Score
The link below has some explanations with images of the equipment. It was carefully prepared to inform you about the experiment. In short, no electrodes are being used, and equipment is going to be in your upper arm and chest.

Respiration and Bp--why not use a nystigmus (sp) to monitor eye movement, with a recorded / recording the game--and time stamping on the eye movement and scene--you'll have accurate analysis of what the Fans were actually looking at. to go along with they physical measurements. Uconn Psychology used this method.

Reaction Score
The link below has some explanations with images of the equipment.
It was carefully prepared to inform you about the experiment. In short, no electrodes are being used, and equipment is going to be in your upper arm and chest.
Gabrela ---Obviously you are a nice/good person--. It just dawned on me this study is designed to make the viewing of Uconn WBB at site or on TV more enjoyable--and not for medical or psychological reason. I'm dense at times, with horse blinder or tunnel vision.
If we were closer --we'd participate. Took part in Hartford Hospital studies on Diabetes treatment (as the control group).

Reaction Score
I am reminded of Ghostbusters and worry that those who view and lack sufficient vigor will not enjoy the stimulus.

Reaction Score
Gabrela ---Obviously you are a nice/good person--. It just dawned on me this study is designed to make the viewing of Uconn WBB at site or on TV more enjoyable--and not for medical or psychological reason. I'm dense at times, with horse blinder or tunnel vision.
If we were closer --we'd participate. Took part in Hartford Hospital studies on Diabetes treatment (as the control group).

Thanks for your support!
If you happen to be close in any home or away game let us know!
It is always great to have a dense fan perspective!

Reaction Score
Gabriela has already collected information on the BY just by virtue of folks responding to her post. Watch out for those tricky psych majors:cool:

Do not worry about that.
We are using the blog just to communicate with the fans.
So, feel free to be yourselves and say what you want!
This is a space of fun for many and we do not want to mess with that.
;)

Reaction Score
Will there be anything available for me to throw???

In the attendance and lab studies you will have a chair!
However, I believe you have to hold yourself in both cases. We cannot afford new chairs in every game, and the manager of Pavillion will not be happy with people breaking things...
Of course, you are free to scream and say whatever you want! :)

Reaction Score
I am reminded of Ghostbusters and worry that those who view and lack sufficient vigor will not enjoy the stimulus.

Let's wait for the results of the study, so we can discuss that in a more scientifical way!

Reaction Score
Thanks for your support!
If you happen to be close in any home or away game let us know!
It is always great to have a dense fan perspective!

Gabriela--I'll be home watching games ---try not to miss them. But I'm 400 miles away from Gampel or Civic Center. However if you have some thing you'd like my wife and I to do to assist your research--give me a run down and we'll try to accommodate you. If you want phone and other details contact me via Conversation on the home page.

Reaction Score
In the attendance and lab studies you will have a chair!
However, I believe you have to hold yourself in both cases. We cannot afford new chairs in every game, and the manager of Pavillion will not be happy with people breaking things...
Of course, you are free to scream and say whatever you want! :)
Perhaps Nerf offers group discounts.

Reaction Score
This is a great idea for a research study, Gabriela! I'm amazed no one's done it with us before.

Thanks Samantha.
Definitely research with fans are hard to make. Usually sports leaders forget that fans are in the basis of nowadays sports movement.
Sometimes they do not want to have any relationship with fans at all, because they fear losing their support...
You or any other fan that you know are more than invited to participate with us!

Reaction Score
We are still in need of participants! Mainly real fans!
If you can participate, please answer our recruitment questionnaire and we will get in touch to confirm soon!

Reaction Score
This research will go on until the end of the 2016-2017 season.
We are constantly recruiting participants.
So, if you would like to participate or have some doubts drop me a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom