Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I bought tickets to one UConn football game when I was a student. I didn't use them. One of the best decisions I made in college.

UConn football is and always will be third rate.

I am ok with that.
And this is exactly why I didnt inform you in advance I had made the trip to the syracuse game last year.

Reaction Score
And this is exactly why I didnt inform you in advance I had made the trip to the syracuse game last year.

Bad form. I would have gone to meet a BYer.

UConn football games do provide opportunities to accomplish something other than watching UConn football sometimes. For example, I always wanted to see Touchdown Jesus, so I flew out for our game in South Bend. Also, my dad is a West Point grad, so I used to travel for the UConn-Army football games when we played them.

UConn football. "It let's you watch the other team sometimes."

Reaction Score
@temery

Can you do us all a favor and finally delete the football forum now that the university admitted we don't have a football program? Or maybe just hide it from non-members like the Cesspool? I always thought it highlighted the school's shortcomings by being open to the public. Much better if it doesn't exist, but keeping it amongst the family is a good second option.

Thx.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

UConn football games do provide opportunities to accomplish something other than watching UConn football sometimes. For example, I always wanted to see Touchdown Jesus, so I flew out for our game in South Bend. Also, my dad is a West Point grad, so I used to travel for the UConn-Army football games when we played them.

you should have watched some of the games - you may have noticed that UConn won all of them

Reaction Score

I had football season tickets for 5 years. The last year, of the 6 games, I made it out of the parking lot to see one half of one game.

Reaction Score
you should have watched some of the games - you may have noticed that UConn won all of them

The little league team I coach is on a winning streak. What of it? You want to buy season tickets to see them play? I will give you a discount.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Practical? I am with Dooley. I am done.

Big East, what an absolute joke.

This isn’t the fault of only one person, it’s the culmination of years of horrendous decisions coupled with total lack of vision by the administration and athletic department.

People celebrating this move is bizarre.
post/handle?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
post/handle?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Aaaaaand...post/handle

:)

Reaction Score
The banter back and forth has been interesting However, no one knew this was coming. We have no insight on the discussions with Fox. Were we told we will get you three Big 12 games per year and two Big games through our connections with those conferences? I find it hard to believe the wheels are not in motion to either join a conference for football or go indie. Than again, the state is involved. Generally, I am glad we finally made a decision but will hope the powers that be already have a framework for the football program

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
@temery

Can you do us all a favor and finally delete the football forum now that the university admitted we don't have a football program? Or maybe just hide it from non-members like the Cesspool? I always thought it highlighted the school's shortcomings by being open to the public. Much better if it doesn't exist, but keeping it amongst the family is a good second option.

Thx.

Ouch.

Reaction Score

Not the best written piece. On one hand he is saying it wasn't right for UConn to move to the big east a couple years ago because of high exit fees and lost revenue but now it is even though he states we will have high exit fees and lost revenue now in the immediate future. Huh? It is definitely a basketball and Olympic sport move but not because it is the perfect time. I know nobody really knows the new terms will be with Fox and if the BE contract allows for a bump in revenue because of UConn being added so why even talk about contracts. The timing of this isn't perfect as we didn't even time this allowing for 27 month notice to the AAC. Just a poorly written article.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just when I thought the football board was the height of delusion the UConn baseball fans arrived.
What have the baseball fans posted that is delusional? It is a great program and this move will hurt it. Do you disagree with that? Football was probably a lost cause no matter, and baseball doesn't drive our economics, but I don't think there can be any serious dispute that this move is a negative for both.

Like most on this board I am far and away a men's basketball fan above all else, and I agree that this move is better for the basketball program and probably better for the university as a whole, but let's not act like it is a cure-all or that we have found salvation.

As two-time graduate of the university I am most concerned about its long-term viability as an institution. I believe this is a better situation for us than where we were, but there are winners and losers among the sports and baseball is definitely a loser, which is unfortunate. I don't see the problem with acknowledging that, while still being happy that it is an improvement for basketball.

Reaction Score
We’ve been having this same conversation the whole time you were gone. How people can’t wrap their heads around what you need to bring to a conference for an invite is still amazing.

I know people want to believe but this stuff will make your eyes bleed.

I don't think anyone believed we were going to to the ACC--seriously, where do you see that?

The talk was always that, hopefully, we'd join up with Iowa St., West Virginia,TCU and Baylor.

As for the rest of his analysis, I do find it hard to believe that a message board person did the TV audience internals years ago and saw that UConn was essentially valueless, but that the ACC didn't do these same internals when it chose Syracuse and UConn for expansion (only to have BC block it) and when UConn was "inked" in prior to Louisville.

Who to believe? The people that run the ACC or an anonymous message board poster?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
@temery

Thx.

You are such a scalitoing

Reaction Score
The banter back and forth has been interesting However, no one knew this was coming. We have no insight on the discussions with Fox. Were we told we will get you three Big 12 games per year and two Big games through our connections with those conferences? I find it hard to believe the wheels are not in motion to either join a conference for football or go indie. Than again, the state is involved. Generally, I am glad we finally made a decision but will hope the powers that be already have a framework for the football program

I think you'd be surprised at how desperate things are.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
HOLY # 2 THIS IS CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!!! I've never seen us play before and now we'll play in Omaha against my most hated team every year! And starting in 2020 so hopefully my boy 'Rique will still be here! I've wanted this forever and can't believe it's happening!
Who knows; maybe even David Wingett will reconsider the NBE now instead of Memphis to complete your Nirvana!

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone believed we were going to to the ACC--seriously, where do you see that?

The talk was always that, hopefully, we'd join up with Iowa St., West Virginia,TCU and Baylor.

As for the rest of his analysis, I do find it hard to believe that a message board person did the TV audience internals years ago and saw that UConn was essentially valueless, but that the ACC didn't do these same internals when it chose Syracuse and UConn for expansion (only to have BC block it) and when UConn was "inked" in prior to Louisville.

Who to believe? The people that run the ACC or an anonymous message board poster?
Thank god we didnt go acc.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty simple .... UConn can’t afford to maintain it’s football program.

UConn’s move to the Big East is necessitated by the university’s athletic department’s reported $41,000,000 deficit during 2018, which was made up for through student fees and university subsidy. The deficit has worsened dramatically since UConn joined the AAC. The eventual move of UConn’s FBS football to the FCS level (as Big East Schools Villanova, Georgetown, and Butler) will close the budget gap.

Who to blame for this setback: Richard Blumenthal.

A few years ago I had a business dealing with the senior Associate Athletic Director at an ACC school. I asked him if then Connecticut Attorney General Blumenthal’s asinine lawsuit against the ACC was a factor in my beloved UConn not being included in the ACC’s 2011 expansion and he replied “yes; Some people in the ACC have long memories”.

So yeah, UConn cannot afford to run a $41+M deficit in its Athletic Department so I accept the move to the Big East as the best current alternative for UConn athletics but I will never forget that Richard Blumenthal’s poor judgment may have forever cost UConn a seat at the Big Boy’s table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom