Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know everything Im about to say is wrong, but UConn Football has been a joke in the college football world over the past 7 years to the point of being one of the worst teams to ever play the sport going back 100 years. Nobody goes to the games anymore, and do you really think to the casual football fans theres really much of a difference between Tulane, ECU, Memphis, or SMU, vs any of the schools we will face in a different conference thats still outside the Power 5? I know the real answer is $$$, and UConn football will lose $$$ not playing in the AAC anymore, but I honestly believe football attendance will rise if the team is more competitive in a lesser league compared to being historically bad in the AAC.

Thats just my opinion that I know will be destroyed, but in all seriousness, what happens to the games we already have scheduled vs Duke and other non conference schools for football? I would assume they are still binding contracts...
Not sure about football but I do hope it will improve one day to at least be watchable.

Reaction Score

Emphasis on UConn will not drop football and will not drop to FCS.

Financially, the best case scenario would be to keep football in the AAC, but there have been multiple reports over the years that the AAC would not accept UConn as a football only member. Maybe Aresco will change his mind after coming to the realization that he put UConn athletics in a real bad spot with this new TV deal and that most likely was the final push UConn needed to get out of this league and make a move to save basketball.

Reaction Score
Travel costs are insane for the olympics. I would think that's a big part of it along with schollies.

How do you lose $8 million in football annually and $22 million in Olympic sports.
At least if we lost $22 million in football, I would know we were trying.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the clock on the entire NCAA is ticking. At some point, the pressure of having to pay players will come into fruition. Not saying this makes the NBE good or bad. It just is what it is. Might as well enjoy it now while we can.
I think that might be a big part of this. We can't compete now, what happens when they start paying players?

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Financially, the best case scenario would be to keep football in the AAC, but there have been multiple reports over the years that the AAC would not accept UConn as a football only member. Maybe Aresco will change his mind after coming to the realization that he put UConn athletics in a real bad spot with this new TV deal and that most likely was the final push UConn needed to get out of this league and make a move to save basketball.
Not only wont they accept Uconn football only they will be happy we are leaving. They are trying to be a southeast/middle American football conference, like an SEC light. We were terrible and out of place.

Reaction Score
Not only wont they accept Uconn football only they will be happy we are leaving. They are trying to be a southeast/middle American football conference, like an SEC light. We were terrible and out of place.

I'm not an expert on this stuff but doesn't us leaving hurt the TV deal they were so proud about? Not saying they will or should keep up football only, but I don't think us leaving is good for the American

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’m struggling to understand how you can go back to a place you’ve never been. The New Big East is not the Big East. We were never in the New Big East.

As I told @August_West offline, this is like going to Dead & Company and saying you are so happy to be seeing the Dead.
I love speaking to you strictly through bitmojis.
Sorry the rest of the yard doesn’t have our relationship. Not sorry though.

#goals

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on this stuff but doesn't us leaving hurt the TV deal they were so proud about? Not saying they will or should keep up football only, but I don't think us leaving is good for the American
Im no expert either but that seems to make that most sense. You take UConn out of the picture completely, the AAC TV deal looks a lot different.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As a UConn basketball fan I have mixed emotions and thoughts about this. From an emotional stand point, this is awesome getting to see some of the old conference rivals back on the schedule and the tournament back in MSG. From a rational stand point, this is disappointing becuase it is us waiving the white flag on any chance at an ACC or P5 invite in the future. Also I think people are short changing how big ESPN+ will be in a few years compared to Fox and their affiliates. I've said it on this forum before, ESPN will eventually get ESPN+ bundled into their cable package / force consumers to pay up for in another way and the number of subscribers on that platform will explode within 5 years.

Edit: and its not just football fans disappointed in this move. I think it hamstrings our programs ability to be flexible in the long run. Should have at least waited until the next round of conference realignments / TV negotiations in the next few years before jumping ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom