Report Card vs Villanova | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Villanova

Reaction Score
J. Hawkins- 9.0: Best game of the season so far. XL Center shooting difficulties don't apply to #24. In addition, his defense shined throughout the game. Team high points (22) AND rebounds (7), golf clap. Mean mug mean mug mean mug mean mug
Karaban- 8.5: Was phenomenal tonight. Had a couple huge offensive boards, a few big 3’s and stellar defense. He is the king of fundamentals and a massive reason we are able to win consistently.
Diarra- 8.0: My brain dead brother has frequently questioned why Hurley continues to give him minutes. That’s why, Tim. His defense is Vital'esque. Tenacious game, however, let’s put that 3 back in the bag for now.
Clingan – 7.0: Great game overall. Got more comfortable as the game went on. Seemed like nothing got by him in the 2nd half. Should he have gotten more minutes?
Jackson- 7.0: Roller coaster tonight. Andre deserves credit for still having faith in his three. I'd give anything to know what he said to that silly Coach after that first three ball. He obviously has a problem with "getting caught in the moment". But I'll tell you what, if it's unfixable, I'm still here for it. His erratic, psycho behavior is a big reason why we’re 14-0.
Alleyan- 6.5: Great contributor, 1 missed open 3. Seems like every game he's owed us one open 3.
Sanogo- 6.5: Credit to Villanova + Dixon here. Love to see that dish to Andre.
Newton- 5.0: Rough game. Got targeted on defense. Good to know we have a hungry backup if things aren’t going his way. On the plus side, took a nice charge + made all his FT’s.
Calcaterra- 5.0: Had a busy week shipping out all his newly purchased NIL gear, look for a strong bounce back game against Xavier.
Player of the Match – J. Hawkins: Jordan has the Super Bright High Pigment Fluorescent Green shooting light.

Match Notes:- How Hurley didn’t receive a tech tonight is beyond me. If I go to work and someone calls me a “F&$% Clown” 8 times to my face, I’m either getting arrested or I'm crying.
  • Neptune bumping into Hawkins then looking for a tech was a clear look into the contrast of characters between him and Coach Wright. Their teams follow suit.
  • Always get a kick out of seeing a priest on Villanova’s bench - I guess Jesus needs to work on 3pt close outs.
-Hurley rules.

Over n Out – Report Card

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
I do actually like how UConn handled Nova today. Nova's game plan was something different from previous teams and it worked pretty well for awhile.

UConn did a fabulous job of limiting three point attempts from Nova all game (minus the last minute).

Next comes another good offensive team in Xavier. Their team is also a team that can play five out and shoot the ball very well from all five starting positions. Their bench is another matter, but they do play a decent amount from the bench.

Georgetown being an anomaly, the only two teams to get over 65 against UConn were Nova and Bama, both top 20 (kenpom) offenses. Xavier also falls in the top 20 on Kenpom, so expect a good amount of points from X.

Reaction Score
I do actually like how UConn handled Nova today. Nova's game plan was something different from previous teams and it worked pretty well for awhile.

UConn did a fabulous job of limiting three point attempts from Nova all game (minus the last minute).

Next comes another good offensive team in Xavier. Their team is also a team that can play five out and shoot the ball very well from all five starting positions. Their bench is another matter, but they do play a decent amount from the bench.

Georgetown being an anomaly, the only two teams to get over 65 against UConn were Nova and Bama, both top 20 (kenpom) offenses. Xavier also falls in the top 20 on Kenpom, so expect a good amount of points from X.
Fremantle looks tough to deal with, last night vs St.John’s.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I also have no idea why Hurley didn't get a technical but that's they way the cookie crumbled.

Reaction Score
This may be the best thread for me to relay that I saw the replay of the Jackson incident and he definitely deserved it; and I don’t think he deserved the GTown one. Last night he clearly, purposefully, and unnecessarily took extra steps well out of bounds, basically in the bench next to the coach, then said something right in the coach’s ear. Idk what exactly he was thinking he would get away with there.

Also, I would consider the fact that he may be developing an unfortunate reputation, fair or otherwise; and refs will be more likely to T him

Reaction Score
J. Hawkins- 9.0: Best game of the season so far. XL Center shooting difficulties don't apply to #24. In addition, his defense shined throughout the game. Team high points (22) AND rebounds (7), golf clap. Mean mug mean mug mean mug mean mug
Karaban- 8.5: Was phenomenal tonight. Had a couple huge offensive boards, a few big 3’s and stellar defense. He is the king of fundamentals and a massive reason we are able to win consistently.
Diarra- 8.0: My brain dead brother has frequently questioned why Hurley continues to give him minutes. That’s why, Tim. His defense is Vital'esque. Tenacious game, however, let’s put that 3 back in the bag for now.
Clingan – 7.0: Great game overall. Got more comfortable as the game went on. Seemed like nothing got by him in the 2nd half. Should he have gotten more minutes?
Jackson- 7.0: Roller coaster tonight. Andre deserves credit for still having faith in his three. I'd give anything to know what he said to that silly Coach after that first three ball. He obviously has a problem with "getting caught in the moment". But I'll tell you what, if it's unfixable, I'm still here for it. His erratic, psycho behavior is a big reason why we’re 14-0.
Alleyan- 6.5: Great contributor, 1 missed open 3. Seems like every game he's owed us one open 3.
Newton- 5.0: Rough game. Got targeted on defense. Good to know we have a hungry backup if things aren’t going his way. On the plus side, took a nice charge + made all his FT’s.
Calcaterra- 5.0: Had a busy week shipping out all his newly purchased NIL gear, look for a strong bounce back game against Xavier.
Player of the Match – J. Hawkins: Jordan has the Super Bright High Pigment Fluorescent Green shooting light.

Match Notes:- How Hurley didn’t receive a tech tonight is beyond me. If I go to work and someone calls me a “F&$% Clown” 8 times to my face, I’m either getting arrested or I'm crying.
  • Neptune bumping into Hawkins then looking for a tech was a clear look into the contrast of characters between him and Coach Wright. Their teams follow suit.
  • Always get a kick out of seeing a priest on Villanova’s bench - I guess Jesus needs to work on 3pt close outs.
-Hurley rules.

Over n Out – Report Card
agreed with Hawkins being Player of the Match. however, special mention to Diarra. almost like Joey California against Gtown, Diarra’s energy, defense, speed and assists iginited Uconn’s rally.
lucky team to count a such backup when Newton is off.
Also: no mention of the crowd? sounded like it was the 6th man on the floor.

Reaction Score
Calling it how I saw it. We played about as bad as I've seen up play for most of the first half and definitely the first 10 minutes. Every single shot was rushed and many were bad shots. Not much driving. Instead tightly contested. Many early shot clock shots. Overall it felt like this team was really nervous going into this game for whatever reason.

With that the second half we played much better. Defense was phenomenal. I thought the game was fairly called but terribly called. Many fouls I was left wondering, many non calls looked pretty obvious on both sides.

Glad we escaped with a win against an underrated (for now) nova team.

Reaction Score
Am i the only one concerned at how badly Dixon outplayed AS? He absolutely handed his lunch to him. D him up where he couldnt get open for a pass. When he did it was as if he was surprised and rushed the shot or turned it over. Dixon owes some rent money for taking up a room in AS head. In the rematch AS needs to send a message.

Reaction Score
Am i the only one concerned at how badly Dixon outplayed AS? He absolutely handed his lunch to him. D him up where he couldnt get open for a pass. When he did it was as if he was surprised and rushed the shot or turned it over. Dixon owes some rent money for taking up a room in AS head. In the rematch AS needs to send a message.

It wasn't just Dixon. It was Dixon + a percentage of every other defender in the area that wasn't stuck to Hawkins.

If we had hit our normal percentage of 3's, we would have won by about 15. Basically that just means we, by normal standards, should have hit at least 2 more 3's. That makes 14

Reaction Score

Dixon just has Sanogo's number. It is what it is. He's smaller, quicker and more skilled but has the bulk to defend him banging in the post.

Plus they were double and triple-teaming Sanogo. Sometimes the best player on the court doesn't have to score. That defense left our shooters wide open. Without Sanogo, we wouldn't have had that luxury.

Reaction Score
Great stuff as always. I will say no way Sanogo was better than Newton this was a 5 or less for Adamo his worst in a while. Newton picked up a nice charge and besides a couple indecisions getting in the middle he was ok.

Reaction Score
It wasn't just Dixon. It was Dixon + a percentage of every other defender in the area that wasn't stuck to Hawkins.

If we had hit our normal percentage of 3's, we would have won by about 15. Basically that just means we, by normal standards, should have hit at least 2 more 3's. That makes 14
Dixon just has Sanogo's number. It is what it is. He's smaller, quicker and more skilled but has the bulk to defend him banging in the post.

Plus they were double and triple-teaming Sanogo. Sometimes the best player on the court doesn't have to score. That defense left our shooters wide open. Without Sanogo, we wouldn't have had that luxury.

The few times Sanogo did get the ball in the paint and was allowed to go 1-on-1, he did very well. I only remember one time where they let him get the ball and then sent a double, and it led to a cut by Andre and a great find from Sanogo for an open dunk

Part of the reason why the box scores ended up that way is because Villanova refused to let Adama Sanogo touch the ball, whereas UConn let Sanogo play Dixon straight up. Dixon is a good matchup against Sanogo for the reasons husky429 said, so he did very well against that matchup. But when you have to commit 1.5-2 defensive players on 1 guy every single possession, and your starting C is running around from the perimeter to take advantage of a speed difference, your defense will eventually wear out. Part of what makes our team so dangerous

Reaction Score
We had good defense, but if there is one thing Nova always has is players who draw contact and make layups backing down or otherwise. They seek contact. High % shots.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Calling it how I saw it. We played about as bad as I've seen up play for most of the first half and definitely the first 10 minutes. Every single shot was rushed and many were bad shots. Not much driving. Instead tightly contested. Many early shot clock shots. Overall it felt like this team was really nervous going into this game for whatever reason.

With that the second half we played much better. Defense was phenomenal. I thought the game was fairly called but terribly called. Many fouls I was left wondering, many non calls looked pretty obvious on both sides.

Glad we escaped with a win against an underrated (for now) nova team.
Ahem. So what you're saying is we played the first half like the following:

Reaction Score
The few times Sanogo did get the ball in the paint and was allowed to go 1-on-1, he did very well. I only remember one time where they let him get the ball and then sent a double, and it led to a cut by Andre and a great find from Sanogo for an open dunk

Part of the reason why the box scores ended up that way is because Villanova refused to let Adama Sanogo touch the ball, whereas UConn let Sanogo play Dixon straight up. Dixon is a good matchup against Sanogo for the reasons husky429 said, so he did very well against that matchup. But when you have to commit 1.5-2 defensive players on 1 guy every single possession, and your starting C is running around from the perimeter to take advantage of a speed difference, your defense will eventually wear out. Part of what makes our team so dangerous

Another reason they were able to make it hard for him to get the ball was our better lineup was not a very good offensive lineup. When Diarra and AJ are in at the same time they won’t be afraid to double down when in half court O. Lot less doubling down if Joey C, Alleyne, Newton and Karaban are on the perimeter. But the defense was very good so not much you can do. Well actually there was, play Clingan more than 14 minutes and throw it over them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom