Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Replacing HuskyFanDan & Plea to Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Negotiate a sleepover for tomorrow night with you and J Lo. When you fail, it will prove you are a bad negotiator and that I or anyone else could have achieved a different result if we were just better negotiators.

As stupid as that paragraph was, it is close to exactly your logic.

When you're an athletic director that knows/has worked with athletic directors at schools such as Arkansas and Boston College and Michigan, wouldn't one think that you will be playing those schools sooner or later?

Reaction Score
Celebrity hood? No thanks - just trying to get some points across here.
Message board posters here, myself included, suffer from OCD. Whatever you've stated has been gone over multiple times. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Message board posters here, myself included, suffer from OCD. Whatever you've stated has been gone over multiple times. Just saying.

And? Looks like that has accomplished a lot in this current situation.

Reaction Score
Except we play Michigan at home next year in a 40,000 seat stadium. And Tennessee in two years. So, yes, negotiation works. It only doesn't for those that either 1. don't know a thing about it or 2. are completely clueless and don't know how to do it

So your rationale behind this is Tennessee won't want to play UConn anymore because UConn is no longer a member of the Big East?
Well at least in theory, those games were going to played against a BCS opponent, when those games were scheduled. In actuality now you have BCS teams that will be traveling to a non bcs school to play football games. How often do Mac, Sun Belt and Conference USA teams get the Michigan's and Tennessee's to play at their stadiums?

I think you will find that the allure of playing against our basketball teams will be less and less as times go by if were not scooped up by a power 5 conference. Maybe not the women, not for a while anyway, in men's hoops, teams like Duke and Kansas offer a similar product and I don't think it comes with a condition that the opposing football team must play at their stadium.

You're not totally wrong, but UConn football is not negotiating from anything resembling a position of strength, and if our basketball had that MUCH influence, we would have gotten picked ahead of other teams.

Reaction Score
Well at least in theory, those games were going to played against a BCS opponent, when those games were scheduled. In actuality now you have BCS teams that will be traveling to a non bcs school to play football games. How often do Mac, Sun Belt and Conference USA teams get the Michigan's and Tennessee's to play at their stadiums?

I think you will find that the allure of playing against our basketball teams will be less and less as times go by if were not scooped up by a power 5 conference. Maybe not the women, not for a while anyway, in men's hoops, teams like Duke and Kansas offer a similar product and I don't think it comes with a condition that the opposing football team must play at their stadium.

You're not totally wrong, but UConn football is not negotiating from anything resembling a position of strength, and if our basketball had that MUCH influence, we would have gotten picked ahead of other teams.

We are not a MAC school

Reaction Score
And? Looks like that has accomplished a lot in this current situation.
Now you're really becoming like HFD. Do you really think the administration gives a duckk about a message board?

Reaction Score
When you're an athletic director that knows/has worked with athletic directors at schools such as Arkansas and Boston College and Michigan, wouldn't one think that you will be playing those schools sooner or later?

BC wants to play us even less than J Lo wants to sleep with you. Deals require not just negotiating skills, but two parties that have a mutual interest in doing something together. No, that is not as exciting as thumping your chest and talking tough, but it is how things work.

Reaction Score
Independence in football is a non-starter for many reasons. You could not schedule. Have you seen BYU's future schedules? 5 BCS schools in 2012, 6 BCS schools in 2013, 2 BCS schools in 2014, 3 BCS schools in 2015. And, BYU has been playing Division 1 football forever and they have some historical rivals. What about a media contract? Good luck finding one as an independent. Bowls? You won't get invited. Playoff? How could you qualify as you would have to get an exception passed.

BYU may only h ave 2-5 BCS schools on their schedule in the next few years, but that's more than we do. I think some people are over estimating how terrible our schedule would look. It wouldn't be pretty, but we'd probably be scheduling home and homes against MAC an CUSA teams, and probably even NNBE. Would a home and home against Bowling Green really be a step down from home and homes against Memphis/Tulane? Whether we went indy or NNBE our schedule is going to take a step down unless WM pulls some magic out of his hat. Some of you are making it like we'll be playing 7-8 BCS games a year if we stay in the NNBE, but that's not the case.

I don't think there's much difference between a Miami(OH)/Army/SouthernMiss versus a Tulane/SMU/Temple in terms of generating fan interest, but at least we could keep the BE tournament, which although diminished is still probably the most attractive sporting event on our schedule, and can keep some regional bball games which will generate more interest than SMU and company. Indy some could argue is higher profile than a lousy conference anyway. Idaho aside most Indy schools have some tradition and I'd say garner more overall respect than a CUSA team. Sure we missed a bowl as Indy 9-3 several years ago, but at that point we were basically Western Kentucky in terms of football and now we'd be in a better position. Especially since the bowl games seem to be looking towards moving to a more flexible scheduling system.

Does anyone really think we'll have a better chance of scheduling a Tennessee/Michigan type team in the future as a member of the NNBE as opposed to Indy?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Man, I really didn't need a new hfd. Apart from the promotion aspect, which I think almost all of us agree has been underwhelming, the rest of this is just the ramblings of another poster disconnected from reality.

First you must acknowledge the OBVIOUS.
1. UConn would like to be in the B1G, ACC or even Big 12.
2. UConn has no control over whether it gets in the B1G, ACC or Big 12.
3. At most UConn can try to make itself attractive to those leagues.
4. UConn is going to be in a league with Tulane, SMU, UCF, Memphis etc. no matter how superior we may think we are to those schools.
5. UConn was lucky as hell to be in a BCS conference for football as a new FBS level program. Never happened before, and won't ever happen again. In the eyes of many others we were unworthy of the honor.
6. UConn cannot play football as an independent. It is not feasible. We are not an attractive enough opponent.

Those are the facts. It's not whining. It's not complaining. If UConn wants to improve it's future reality, it better damned well understand the current reality. That starts with us being a little less arrogant and a little more realistic about our overall appeal. You can bitch about Tulane all you want, but it's a damned fine school, and an AAU member, with an endowment over $1B.

Reaction Score
So your rationale behind this is Tennessee won't want to play UConn anymore because UConn is no longer a member of the Big East?

Actually, probably yes.

Just by virtue of being in a weaker conference, a game against UConn will now hurt opponents strength of schedule more.

Reaction Score
Actually, probably yes.

Just by virtue of being in a weaker conference, a game against UConn will now hurt opponents strength of schedule more.
Just the departure of WVU and Louisville hurt. And maybe the additions of Tulane and Memphis. But I also think Tulane and Memphis can better their football programs, easily.

Reaction Score
Idaho aside most Indy schools have some tradition and I'd say garner more overall respect than a CUSA team.

Who are the Indy teams? Notre Dame, BYU, Navy, Idaho and New Mexico State?
I guess three out of 5, would constitute most. Good luck getting ND, BYU and Navy on the schedule every year. The other two would love to have us on the schedule every year.

The idea of staying in a New Big East would be that over time, you could come to to hate temple and Cincy and view them as rivals. In addition putting together a schedule for your teams wouldn't be a 24-7, operation if you knew you were gauranteed 7,8,9, conferece games a year.

Our current predicament is not pretty. Seperating football and basketball just to stay with the C7, makes no sense to me, and apparantly to the UConn admins as well. If they want to do that, just go all in and drop football.

Reaction Score
Our current predicament is not pretty. Seperating football and basketball just to stay with the C7, makes no sense to me, and apparantly to the UConn admins as well. If they want to do that, just go all in and drop football.
It's not the end of the world, either. As stated before, the Big East would equal the ACC after it is poached.

Reaction Score
It's not the end of the world, either. As stated before, the Big East would equal the ACC after it is poached.
Nothing is the end of the world except the end of the world.

Like I said, I'm with sportsart, I'm simply going to go to the games and enjoy them. Be it Tulsa, Tulane, Idaho or whomever. I have a feeling I will get the opportunity to increase quality of my seats tremendously. Que sera, sera!

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the thought of going Indy in football...

tumblr_lvqpekztow1qgneyro1_500.gif

Looks damn intriguing @ first glance but in reality - not so much so and you'll end up regretting it!!!!

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Negotiate a sleepover for tomorrow night with you and J Lo. When you fail, it will prove you are a bad negotiator and that I or anyone else could have achieved a different result if we were just better negotiators.

As stupid as that paragraph was, it is close to exactly your logic.

J Lo? We really need to update your trendy female reference points BL.

Let's start with Kate Upton and Mila Kunis

Reaction Score
J Lo? We really need to update your trendy female reference points BL.

Let's start with Kate Upton and Mila Kunis

I thought of Mila Kunis but was afraid I would misspell it. I have not a clue who kate Upton is.

As I've said before, not a pop culture guy.

Reaction Score
BC wants to play us even less than J Lo wants to sleep with you. Deals require not just negotiating skills, but two parties that have a mutual interest in doing something together. No, that is not as exciting as thumping your chest and talking tough, but it is how things work.

That's why during negotiations you give them something that sparks their interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom