Replacing a Legend and Recovering | The Boneyard

Replacing a Legend and Recovering

Reaction Score
I might be biased as a Celtics fan but I think he's legit outside the box possible hire if AD Dave does fire Ollie. He's interviewed for Georgia Tech and George Mason for their head coaching vacancies but decided to stay with the Celtics. I think UConn is much more appealing considering the program, its history, its facilities, and its proximity to his current job. He's been coaching with, in my opinion, one of the 2 most intelligent basketball minds in the world right now in Brad Stevens. He's been developing kids that are basically college aged for a couple years now, and they've showed massive improvements both from season to season and in season. I think if you give him $5ish mil a year for a few years he'd be interested and could be a great fit for what the program needs. Just a thought, and something I wanted to share.

Edit: $5 mil is too much

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I might be biased as a Celtics fan but I think he's legit outside the box possible hire if AD Dave does fire Ollie. He's interviewed for Georgia Tech and George Mason for their head coaching vacancies but decided to stay with the Celtics. I think UConn is much more appealing considering the program, its history, its facilities, and its proximity to his current job. He's been coaching with, in my opinion, one of the 2 most intelligent basketball minds in the world right now in Brad Stevens. He's been developing kids that are basically college aged for a couple years now, and they've showed massive improvements both from season to season and in season. I think if you give him $5ish mil a year for a few years he'd be interested and could be a great fit for what the program needs. Just a thought, and something I wanted to share.

I personally want to go with a guy who's successful in college right now. Minimize guesswork and projection of ability. He might be a good coach idk, but can he run a major college basketball program? Those aren't the same thing.

Jay aside, UCONN's giving nobody $5m per year. I'll be surprised if they even match Ollie's current $3m per.

Reaction Score
If sitting next to Brad Stevens during games make you a better coach, one would think South Alabama would be killing it in the Sun Belt. Alas.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I personally want to go with a guy who's successful in college right now. Minimize guesswork and projection of ability. He might be a good coach idk, but can he run a major college basketball program? Those aren't the same thing.
amen amen amen

If Larranaga takes over somewhere else and turns out to be the next Calhoun I'll be bummed we missed on him, but it's still not worth the risk of hiring him precisely for the reasons @intlzncster listed. We need a proven head coach who's shown he can run a program. Period.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Pat Skerry has completely turned around a awful program in Townson.. He was a assistant at Pitt , PC and URI where he had a great recruiting rep..IMO he has a stronger resume than Danny Hurley..

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is not respected in the NESPAC circles. The last good NE player he got was Jared Terrell in 2014. He does not develop players. This is why the coaches at Brewster are pushing players to the UCONN staff. No one is pushing anyone toward Danny.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is not respected in the NESPAC circles. The last good NE player he got was Jared Terrell in 2014. He does not develop players. This is why the coaches at Brewster are pushing players to the UCONN staff. No one is pushing anyone toward Danny.
All that being said he wins

Reaction Score
All that being said he wins
What did he won? He has not won a conference championship despite being in the NEC and the A10 for 8 yrs. He never develop an NBA player despite multiple 4 star recruits he got when he first arrive in Rhode Island. The recruiting is dropping off a cliff at URI. His team this yr is full of seniors. The URI team will be a mediocre for the next few yrs after this. He knows the time to exit is right now. He is a manure salesman and I deal with people like that all the time

Reaction Score
What did he won? He has not won a conference championship despite being in the NEC and the A10 for 8 yrs. He never develop an NBA player despite multiple 4 star recruits he got when he first arrive in Rhode Island. The recruiting is dropping off a cliff at URI. His team this yr is full of seniors. The URI team will be a mediocre for the next few yrs after this. He knows the time to exit is right now. He is a manure salesman and I deal with people like that all the time
Recruiting dropping off a cliff? He has a top 25 recruiting class coming in for next year.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He literally has the best class of his tenure coming in, including a high 3-star from Springfield.

I agree, though, that his New England recruiting hasn't been great.

Reaction Score
You can't even communicate the English language, I doubt you're dealing with any salesmen all the time.

Not even going to get into how wrong you are in these posts.

Reaction Score
Leonard Hamilton is 69 years old. I doubt he is even still coaching in 3 years.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Leonard Hamilton is 69 years old. I doubt he is even still coaching in 3 years.
Have you watched that team play? He's barely been coaching for the last 3.

Still a hell of a recruiter though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Edit: $5 mil is too much

It is an intriguing idea, and I think he's probably a very good coach. But we made a mistake in 2012 in hiring an unproven guy with NBA playing experience and only a couple of years as an assistant. We have to get a guy who has shown he can run a program.

The two guys at the top of this list would/should probably be at the top of our list.
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Ranking the 10 best mid-major classes of the 2018 early period
Pat Skerry would get a look and is a Massachusetts native.
I think Becker at UVM is worth talking to as well.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Have you watched that team play? He's barely been coaching for the last 3.

Still a hell of a recruiter though.
Ok, he's older than I thought and his 60% career winning % isn't great. He's a great recruiter and that's more where I was going. I was really hoping we'd have better recruiting under Ollie with city kids than we did with JC given his street cred and NBA story but it hasn't happened. I think recruiting is the key to our situation. I've coached another sport and can tell you with certainty, it's easy to coach a team of great players. The great coaches are the ones who can get the maximum out of their lesser talent and that's not something KO can do. I see now that Hamilton is still at Florida State.

Reaction Score
Ok, he's older than I thought and his 60% career winning % isn't great. He's a great recruiter and that's more where I was going. I was really hoping we'd have better recruiting under Ollie with city kids than we did with JC given his street cred and NBA story but it hasn't happened. I think recruiting is the key to our situation. I've coached another sport and can tell you with certainty, it's easy to coach a team of great players. The great coaches are the ones who can get the maximum out of their lesser talent and that's not something KO can do. I see now that Hamilton is still at Florida State.

The guy hasn't aged in 25 years.

Reaction Score
You can't even communicate the English language, I doubt you're dealing with any salesmen all the time.

Not even going to get into how wrong you are in these posts.
Those r all facts. Anyone here can look that up. Sorry for crushing you boy crust's bubble.

Reaction Score
Recruiting dropping off a cliff? He has a top 25 recruiting class coming in for next year.
No site list URI's recruiting as a top 25. U making stuff up for Dannyboy again. He got 1 four star and 2 three stars players. Ollie has 4 four stars coming in if u count Sid Wilson as a freshman

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom