Renovation Of Freitas Has Gone Out For Bid > New Home for UConn Women Volleyball | The Boneyard

Renovation Of Freitas Has Gone Out For Bid > New Home for UConn Women Volleyball

Reaction Score
The rumor of a conversion to a dedicated facility to support UConn Volleyball still has legs…

Reaction Score
Freitas will become the new home of UConn Women Volleyball. Should be a very nice facility.

Safari.pdf

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Our facilities across sports are incredible. The master plan is absolutely something beyond Big East.

Reaction Score
Our facilities across sports are incredible. The master plan is absolutely something beyond Big East.
A new athletic master plan is in the planning stage. Mostly likely will include renovations to Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if this will elevate the volleyball program? They will have pretty amazing facilities.

Reaction Score
A new athletic master plan is in the planning stage. Mostly likely will include renovations to Gampel.
This is what I can't wait to see. Really curious what they can do to it and how much they are going to pump into it. If it's a lot of money I have to think XL losses more games. Similar to XL and Toscano.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is what I can't wait to see. Really curious what they can do to it and how much they are going to pump into it. If it's a lot of money I have to think XL losses more games. Similar to XL and Toscano.
My guess is, it will be a wraparound second-story concourse that makes a semi covered walkway around Gampel. Three of the corners will have both concession and bathrooms. The last corner is where the natatorium is. Just a guess.

CL82

Reaction Score
“It’s going to amplify the progression of the program and the trend of the program and the sport itself, especially in the region,” said coach Ellen Herman-Kimball. “There are a minimal amount of volleyball programs in the country that have their own specific facility that they don’t have to share with another sport.”

This was my thought as well. Having a dedicated volleyball facility seemed unique to me.

Freitas was a bit of a white elephant once Toscano was completed and the demolition and renovation is being funded by private contribution, so it seems like a great solution.

Reaction Score
$2.5 million is really nothing, about the same amount to build the hockey rink in the first place. I would think maybe building something more modern rathe rather than renovating a generic metal barn would be a better way to go but this might be the cheapest route to a nice facility. A brand new facility could include a beach volleyball court with a retractable roof or open-air type setup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom