Reminder: what Geno has accomplished in 30 full seasons as HC at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reminder: what Geno has accomplished in 30 full seasons as HC at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We talk of the last 20 years of 'dominance' but the reality is from 1995 - 2008 Uconn was not dominant. they one five titles, Pat won five titles and 4 titles were won by other teams. That is being at the top of the heap, but sharing that standard with another team and being nipped at by a bunch of others.

Dominance is what has happened since - 5 titles in 7 years is DOMINANCE especially as the two missed titles were split by two other teams. Put anther way - they have accomplished in 7 years what TN took 13 years to accomplish and what Uconn previously took 10 years to accomplish.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Renee was a 2-time WBCA All-American, I believe. Her senior year, the top 3 players in the country were Maya, Angel, and Renee. Field General Montgomery was a vocal leader and helluva player.

Field General? Or Field Marshal?

Reaction Score
Just so everyone knows
AA - Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, and Jefferson
NPOY - Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore and Stewart

You know what's crazy about this list? Before Stewart arrived and I had to pick my all time starting 5, Asjha Jones was always on the list.....and she isn't one of the 18 AA listed, nor is her name on the Huskies of Honor(which is a shame that she doesn't meet the criteria). She is the most underrated UCONN player of all time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know what's crazy about this list? Before Stewart arrived and I had to pick my all time starting 5, Asjha Jones was always on the list.....and she isn't one of the 18 AA listed, nor is her name on the Huskies of Honor(which is a shame that she doesn't meet the criteria). She is the most underrated UCONN player of all time.
Yes kind of a shame Jones isn't on the wall, but she never quite made it to 1st team AA status. She was kind of in the same boat Tuck was this year, too many other good UCONN players. She was playing with Ralph, Abrosimova, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, 5 other AA's.

Starting 5 is easy now.
Bird
Taurasi
Moore
Stewart
Charles

2nd and 3rd 5 is harder

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the first team AA status - was the ten player first team always available. I thought that was a more recent innovation say in the last ten years. It seems there has been a proliferation of AA teams since around 2000 - don't remember when Wooden started for women, and I think a few others appeared after they started for the men much earlier.
If a ten player team was not available say in 2000, might Uconn go back at some point and look at the second team of a five player first team and add a name or two.

Specific to the Jones. Cash, Williams period - Cash had a more unique skill set and averaged in the 27+ minutes as a senior and 23+ as a junior. Jones was at 24+ and Williams at 21+ as seniors, but as juniors and sophomores were both under 20. That definitely hurt their national profile.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On the first team AA status - was the ten player first team always available. I thought that was a more recent innovation say in the last ten years. It seems there has been a proliferation of AA teams since around 2000 - don't remember when Wooden started for women, and I think a few others appeared after they started for the men much earlier.
If a ten player team was not available say in 2000, might Uconn go back at some point and look at the second team of a five player first team and add a name or two.

Specific to the Jones. Cash, Williams period - Cash had a more unique skill set and averaged in the 27+ minutes as a senior and 23+ as a junior. Jones was at 24+ and Williams at 21+ as seniors, but as juniors and sophomores were both under 20. That definitely hurt their national profile.
USBWA had 10 player teams as far back as 1997
WBCA (Kodak) had 10 player teams as far back as 1991

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member