Reminder: what Geno has accomplished in 30 full seasons as HC at UConn | The Boneyard

Reminder: what Geno has accomplished in 30 full seasons as HC at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Now that Geno has 30 seasons under his belt as head WBB coach at UConn, let's recap what he's got in the books:

• 10 national championships, exactly one in every three seasons.
  • With 16 Final Four appearances, he makes them 53.33% of the time.
  • 917 wins against 134 losses, or an average season of 30.6-4.5.
  • Just as a tangent to the above, he's now 171 wins from 1,098, the record held by Pat Summitt. If he's got five or six more seasons in him, he'll probably break that record.
  • He's won some form of a conference championship (regular season and/or league tourney) in 24 seasons, or 80% of the time.
  • He's coached 18 different players to at least one form of first-team AA recognition and eight to at least one NPOY award. Meanwhile, he's coached four seasons that produced three WBCA AAs.
  • Of UConn's 10 NC-winning seasons, eight featured one loss or less. Amazingly, Pat Summitt has "only" one such season.
  • Geno took the job in 1985, a year after USC had successfully defended a national championship. Since then, only Geno and Pat have successful NC defenses. Of course, Geno has five such defenses to his teams' credit (2003, 2004, 2010, 2014, 2015), whereas Pat has three (1997, 1998, 2008).
  • Don't forget those two FIBA tournament gold medals, along with an Olympic gold. And probably another Olympic gold next season.
  • Finally, let's talk winning streaks: he's got winning streaks of 90 and 70, the two longest in WCBB history. Meanwhile, 47 is fourth-longest. Of course, he's at 37 now and is bringing a VERY strong team into the 2015-16 season. If UConn starts the season off with 18 in a row, UConn would be at 55, good for the third-longest streak in WCBB history on top of the two longest UConn already has.
Basically, Geno has done it all, and he's going to keep doing it. What else is there to say? I guess all I can say is that I hope Geno keeps it going for a long, long time...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
  • He's coached 18 different players to at least one form of first-team AA recognition and eight to at least one NPOY award. Meanwhile, he's coached four seasons that produced three WBCA AAs.
Just so everyone knows
AA - Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, and Jefferson
NPOY - Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore and Stewart

Reaction Score
I hope that Geno and CD keep coaching as long as they keep enjoying it.

Reaction Score
How about academic performance? That, too, has been superb!!

HGN

Reaction Score
I hope that Geno and CD keep coaching as long as they keep enjoying it.
They will Chris.........If Geno can keep that 30+ win annual average , I don't think he will quit until he catches Pat Summitt in about 6yrs. And puts the NC total in the Stratosphere. As long as he has the health and CD by his side , its totally possible.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the most scary thing about Geno's numbers?

There were at least 5 seasons during this amazing run where we suffered a season ending injury to a very key player. 1997 (Shea ACL), 1998 (Nykesha), 1999 (Sue Bird), 2001 (Svet/Shea), and 2008 (Mel/Kalana). Another year of note is the 2011 season where we lost Samarie mid season with a transfer that ended up killing us that year.

We would have had 3 more Final 4's for sure in 1997-1999 had those injuries not occurred. And who knows how many national titles during those 5 years had the injuries not happened. I estimate it at National Champs- 1997, 2001 Runner Up- 1998, 2008 and Toss Up- 1999.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe it would be correct to say that if you went one stage further and made it 'seasons with a conference regular season or tournament title or a national championship' the number would be 25 or 83% of his seasons - 2013 I believe was the only year when they lost both conference titles but won an NC.

And while 30 wins is the average over the last 30 years, the average for the last ten is probably 35+ so I think 5 years rather than six is the reckoning for the record win total.

Reaction Score
Now that Geno has 30 seasons under his belt as head WBB coach at UConn, let's recap what he's got in the books:

• Just as a tangent to the above, he's now 171 wins from 1,098, the record held by Pat Summitt. If he's got five or six more seasons in him, he'll probably break that record.
  • He's won some form of a conference championship (regular season and/or league tourney) in 24 seasons, or 80% of the time.
  • Of UConn's 10 NC-winning seasons, eight featured one loss or less. Amazingly, Pat Summitt has "only" one such season.
  • Geno took the job in 1985, a year after USC had successfully defended a national championship. Since then, only Geno and Pat have successful NC defenses. Of course, Geno has five such defenses to his teams' credit (2003, 2004, 2010, 2014, 2015), whereas Pat has three (1997, 1998, 2008).
  • Don't forget those two FIBA tournament gold medals, along with an Olympic gold. And probably another Olympic gold next season.
  • Finally, let's talk winning streaks: he's got winning streaks of 90 and 70, the two longest in WCBB history. Meanwhile, 47 is fourth-longest. Of course, he's at 37 now and is bringing a VERY strong team into the 2015-16 season. If UConn starts the season off with 18 in a row, UConn would be at 55, good for the third-longest streak in WCBB history on top of the two longest UConn already has.
Basically, Geno has done it all, and he's going to keep doing it. What else is there to say? I guess all I can say is that I hope Geno keeps it going for a long, long time...

Domination: record from 1986 through 1993: 162 - 78 (8 seasons)
record from 1994 through 2015: 755 - 56 (22 seasons)
average record from 1994 through 2015: 34.3 vs 2. 5

Reaction Score
I believe it would be correct to say that if you went one stage further and made it 'seasons with a conference regular season or tournament title or a national championship' the number would be 25 or 83% of his seasons - 2013 I believe was the only year when they lost both conference titles but won an NC.

And while 30 wins is the average over the last 30 years, the average for the last ten is probably 35+ so I think 5 years rather than six is the reckoning for the record win total.
He can get there in 6 years averaging 31 wins/year. Must average 37 wins/year to get there in 5. A couple more 40-win years allows a couple 33's - I'm betting on 5 years.

Reaction Score
The problem is, by the time Geno gets to 1098, that will no longer be the record in all likelihood. He did say after the parade that he will keep coaching as long "they will have me."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well - over the last 10 years he has averaged 36 wins a year, over the last 8 that goes up to 37 wins a year, and the last five years his total wins is 182 which is 36.4 wins per year.

j66kicker - not sure how you are doing your math, but 171/5 = 34.2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The problem with.the win total it's that it is more than just catching Pat. There are several other active coaches who stand in the way.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problem is, by the time Geno gets to 1098, that will no longer be the record in all likelihood. He did say after the parade that he will keep coaching as long "they will have me."
True - but ...
Stringer is currently 35 wins ahead but the last five years her average is 20.4 - total wins last 5 years = 109. If rates stay the same Geno will pick up 16 wins a season and pass her during the third year.
Sylvia is 44 ahead - her average is 26 wins per year, Geno picks up 10 wins per year on her so he would pass her in the fifth year
Tara is 36 ahead - her average is 32 wins per year and if she can find another pair of O sisters she will get there well ahead of Geno as he is only picking up 4 wins a year. But ... this year she dropped from an historical aberration of four years with 33+ wins per year to 'only' 26 - if that, which historically more accurately reflectives Stanford's win totals, is a return to average then Geno would be picking up 10 wins a year on her too, and would pass her in year four.

Obviously all of this is speculative, but at the rate Geno has been winning for the last decade, and without a huge jump in performance by the active coaches in front of him ... They should get to 1000 ahead of him in the next two/three years, but he should be passing them shortly thereafter.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What about number of games played (mostly won) without losing two in a row.

Goes back to about 1992-1993 season. I lost precise count. One of you stats experts, bail me out, please.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Domination: record from 1986 through 1993: 162 - 78 (8 seasons)
record from 1994 through 2015: 755 - 56 (22 seasons)
average record from 1994 through 2015: 34.3 vs 2. 5

Looks like about a 93.1% winning percentage. I can live with that.

Reaction Score
Well - over the last 10 years he has averaged 36 wins a year, over the last 8 that goes up to 37 wins a year, and the last five years his total wins is 182 which is 36.4 wins per year.

j66kicker - not sure how you are doing your math, but 171/5 = 34.2
My math is OK, but I have a different current total for Geno that Alex apparently does. I have Geno at 917 now (he got #900 against Cincinnati on Feb 3, and they have won 17 games since then). This is 181 away from tying 1098, not 171. 182 to pass the current record.

182/5=36.4

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just so everyone knows
AA - Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Sales, Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Taurasi, Montgomery, Charles, Moore, Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stewart, and Jefferson
NPOY - Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore and Stewart
I was a little surprised that Montgomery was an All-American. I don't mean to diminish her but I don't remember her having that stature. That is a very impressive list, isn't it?

Reaction Score
I do think you're wrong. The others are not winning with the regularity that Geno is and his pace should exceed theirs, maybe not to 1000 wins but to the 1098 total.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised that Montgomery was an All-American. I don't mean to diminish her but I don't remember her having that stature. That is a very impressive list, isn't it?
Renee was a 2-time WBCA All-American, I believe. Her senior year, the top 3 players in the country were Maya, Angel, and Renee. Field General Montgomery was a vocal leader and helluva player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno was the college coach of 50% of the 2012 Olympic team and 80% of the starting unit of the FIBA world championship team. The best of the best.

Reaction Score
Renee was a 2-time WBCA All-American, I believe. Her senior year, the top 3 players in the country were Maya, Angel, and Renee. Field General Montgomery was a vocal leader and helluva player.
I had a brain duckt because when I saw the name Montgomery, I was thinking of Mel Thomas instead. Why I thought of her instead of Renee I have no clue. It's obvious Renee was most deserving of AA acclaim.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You must have not followed her closely... if you can see Hartley as an AA its very easy to see Renee as one.

She was a TOP DOG

(sorry I didnt scroll down enough to see you retraction)

Reaction Score
Does Geno already have more NCAA wins than Pat. She piled a bunch of wins in the old AIAW.

Reaction Score

Geno's first years were tilling the soil and planting the seeds and it took a little time to bloom but in the last twenty years or so, there has never been that level of dominance in women's basketball or in almost any other sport. What Geno and Jim Calhoun had to overcome to jumpstart their programs was deeper than the Grand Canyon and now Geno's peak exceeds that of Everest. He and Chris are so deserving of every award and acknowledgement that they've ever received. What a fantastic tandem and I commend Chris because she's done so much in her own right and had to adapt to Geno's style. They've really helped so much to put Storrs Connecticut on the map and how many sports fans in other parts of the country DON'T know a great deal about our state university because of what they've accomplished. The likelihood that both the men's and women's programs would attain the heights they have over the same span of time is crazy and yet they have. I think UConn's AD John Toner is owed a serious amount of gratitude for his foresight in their respective hirings. Being a New Britain guy, I remember when he led our Golden Hurricane football team to much success in the 50's and he had an illustrious career. The legacy that Geno and Chris leave behind is going to be one for the AGES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom