Remembered that rumored game against the Irish at Fenway | The Boneyard

Remembered that rumored game against the Irish at Fenway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My guess is that rumored game was contingent upon us joining the ACC. ND has to play X amount of games vs ACC opponents. The minute they chose Louisville instead, I'm sure our deal died. No way ND is using one of its few non-ACC games against us. Just my opinion...I could be wrong, but I feel that's how this all shook out.

Reaction Score
BC will be the road team.
ooh, that hurts... couldn't happen to a nicer group. What is the football capacity of Fenway? Going to be some terrible seats.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
ooh, that hurts... couldn't happen to a nicer group. What is the football capacity of Fenway? Going to be some terrible seats.
It depends if they put temporary stands in front of the Monster. If not, then football capacity is the exact same as baseball capacity (about 37,500).

Reaction Score

There's terrible seats there for baseball, never mind a sport the stadium wasn't even designed for. I can't imagine seeing a football game in that place.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's terrible seats there for baseball, never mind a sport the stadium wasn't even designed for. I can't imagine seeing a football game in that place.
You don't go Fenway to watch football. You go for the novelty and to say you were there. It hasn't hosted a football game since 1968. Fenway probably has better sightlines in the actual park than it will for TV. They televised much of the soccer game from the center field cameras, which overlooks the corner of a football/soccer field.
th

Reaction Score

BC gets a ND home game out of the deal.

Reaction Score
They played football there for years. BC used to play its big games there in the Fifties.At one point BC-Holy Cross was played there several years in a row. BU played an occasional game there back then, too. And the Patriots played there in the early days of their history. I went to a Pats game as a kid, against the Bills, which was played at Fenway. I don't remember the sight lines being partiularly bad, but I can't say I would have known the difference either.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
BC hosts ND in 2017 so there's really no downside for BC and the tickets look like they MAY be split 50/50 between the two schools.
Care to make a wager on that? Why would they agree to split ticket revenue for a "home" game?

Reaction Score

Fan comfort is not even close to the point of playing at Fenway. It's a one-off that creates a little bit of buzz that UConn could really use. Hope WM didn't stumble in negotiating this the first time around.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Whoever mentioned that the ACC probably had something to do with UCONN being replaced with BC, is most likely spot on. You know full well that BC politicked hard for this game within the conference after ND was partially accepted. They probably played the "New England is our turf" card (they've done it before) . Somewhere along the lines, somebody pulled some strings to get BC in that game thinking it would be a great day for the ACC. But to the logical and intelligent fan, watching Fenway Park turn into Notre Dame Stadium against an ACC school that is supposed to deliver that market, it will be very comical.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Home game for Irish means they take the money to the bank. It's called the Shamrock series... not the Shamrock- Show series.

Reaction Score
Irish Illustrated‏@NDatRivals
Swarbrick says Fenway game will be a “premium ticket” price, says ND needs to clear similar revenue to home game. Seating less than half.
IF, and that's the big IF... we ever play them again, I want us to field the same type of team that played them out there. Smashmouth, knocking helmets off. Beating ND and the refs. That said, I don't care where, when, or how much they take from it.

Reaction Score
UConn should up the anty on ole BC by hosting Penn St at Gillette Stadium. Right under their noses the Huskies get a bigger draw(and paycheck) in a "real" football stadium with the biggest regional rival any school in the Northeast could hope for.

Reaction Score
UConn should up the anty on ole BC by hosting Penn St at Gillette Stadium. Right under their noses the Huskies get a bigger draw(and paycheck) in a "real" football stadium with the biggest regional rival any school in the Northeast could hope for.

I wouldn't mind see a PSU-UConn game there...Most of the people at Fenway for the BCU-ND game will be ND fans.

Reaction Score
That game at Fenway should be ND vs us. Can't believe Warde let BC shove us aside again!

Reaction Score
That game at Fenway should be ND vs us. Can't believe Warde let BC shove us aside again!

Will give WM benefit of the doubt on this one. Sunday they announced the ND-UConn hoop series is continuing. Between that and Diaco MAYBE there's a football tie-in. I hope so.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If bcu is fredo does that make us the baby kay didn't keep?

No, we're the kid that Sonny has with Lucy Mancini. It takes what feels like forever before anyone recognizes us but eventually we end up in charge of the whole damned thing.

Reaction Score
Will give WM benefit of the doubt on this one. Sunday they announced the ND-UConn hoop series is continuing. Between that and Diaco MAYBE there's a football tie-in. I hope so.
You must be kidding. There is no relationship between women's basketball and men's football. Given the situation for ND, there is no room for UConn on it's schedule in football unless UConn was a member of the ACC. Given the current CR scenario, that is very unlikely to happen. Even if it did, it will be maybe a decade before the two would meet on the football field. ND had to break over relations with some B1G teams that they had for years to comply with their ACC commitment. If you believe that there could be a tie in with football, you are truly a dreamer. ND is for ND. UConn should demand mega bucks to resume the basketball rivalry.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would LOVE to play games at Gillette. Schedule anybody there, I don't care who. Penn St would seem like a good fit since they are close. Could also schedule them at MetLife, Citi or Yankee. Just about any B1G team would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom