Regression is concerning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Regression is concerning

Reaction Score
I expect a coach to recognize this and adjust roster accordingly. Instead he doubled down on the same kids that you speak of and here we are. He is gonna lose the fan base before he has won them over.

a 9:00 start at gampel against Tulane On Wednesday spells record small crowd....

Reaction Score
I expect a coach to recognize this and adjust roster accordingly. Instead he doubled down on the same kids that you speak of and here we are. He is gonna lose the fan base before he has won them over.

a 9:00 start at gampel against Tulane On Wednesday spells record small crowd....
Shocked that the game results under Hurley have been as bad if not possibly worse than under KO. $3 million should buy a lot better than we’ve been getting. I’ll temper my expectations for the remainder of the year and reserve judgment on him until he has more of his guys next year but this is deeply concerning.

Reaction Score
Bouk oozes talent every time the ball touches his hands
Agree.
Though I hope he gets out of his shooting slump. I dont think he’s made a jump shot the last few games. However , he is getting to the line and getting rebounds.

I think him starting the second half is an indication that Hurley realizes he needs him in the lineup more so I expect that he will be starting the next game.

Reaction Score
The team is supposed to improve throughout the year and yet we've managed to regress.

Our offense, which was inconsistent at times, has become practically non-existent if the team isn't running with the ball on the break.

If Carlton sees any physical play, he becomes a train wreck, missing layups or turning it over.

I couldn't count the number of missed shots with guys RIGHT at the rim, inside 3 feet!

But more concerning is the defensive energy and toughness that's disappeared of late. Today we got bullied by an AVERAGE USF team.

It's as much on the players (Carlton, the seniors) as it is on Hurley. Lots of blame to go around.

It was all Hurley when the players showed improvement last year but now it’s the players because now they’re back to “KOs players” lol. Starting to wonder myself it’s not good at all. Better at whining at the officials all game than adjusting from what I’ve seen.

Reaction Score
Our best athletes are bean poles. We need some serious girth. Length and width that can jump. We’re getting manhandled
Same problem different year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The team is supposed to improve throughout the year and yet we've managed to regress.

Our offense, which was inconsistent at times, has become practically non-existent if the team isn't running with the ball on the break.

If Carlton sees any physical play, he becomes a train wreck, missing layups or turning it over.

I couldn't count the number of missed shots with guys RIGHT at the rim, inside 3 feet!

But more concerning is the defensive energy and toughness that's disappeared of late. Today we got bullied by an AVERAGE USF team.

It's as much on the players (Carlton, the seniors) as it is on Hurley. Lots of blame to go around.
We’re playing the same lineup and rotations we did at the beginning of the year that was causing us problems. The young guys need to play the majority of the minutes.

Reaction Score
It was all Hurley when the players showed improvement last year but now it’s the players because now they’re back to “KOs players” lol. Starting to wonder myself it’s not good at all. Better at whining at the officials all game than adjusting from what I’ve seen.
You have to figure KO is laughing hysterically now. What bothers me is all the references Hurley made the past two years to losing habits and rebuilding this program but as of now that was all just taking swipes at the previous guy with no evidence beyond the appearance of better recruiting to back it up.

Reaction Score

it may ooz snooz fest... :)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You have to figure KO is laughing hysterically now. What bothers me is all the references Hurley made the past two years to losing habits and rebuilding this program but as of now that was all just taking swipes at the previous guy with no evidence beyond the appearance of better recruiting to back it up.
Hurley will at least have talent to help him out if doesn’t make any coaching adjustments

Reaction Score
appearance of better recruiting?? SMH!!Head bang

Reaction Score
Why? He built this failure.
Just following this and seeing the team lose like his teams did. He has to be getting some satisfaction out of this. Because recruiting is better and Hurley seems to actually care and have a strong work ethic, I’ll take him over KO any day, but nobody can intelligently argue the on court results have been significantly better the past 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, Adams, Cole, Springs, Jackson, Ferguson
Thought you meant future recruits. But those 8 will be insufficient without additional talent in the Big East.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I don’t care who they have talent wise this year or in the future, Hurley’s half court offense is brutal. Bringing bigs that far away constantly on offense is just dumb. Not to mention the lack of space doesn’t allow the guards to penetrate. I’m not drinking the Hurley in game coaching Kool Aid.

I would also love to see a good full court press on defense as well. Calhoun lived off that too- we have the speed, let’s do it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don’t care who they have talent wise this year or in the future, Hurley’s half court offense is brutal. Bringing bigs that far away constantly on offense is just dumb. Not to mention the lack of space doesn’t allow the guards to penetrate. I’m not drinking the Hurley in game coaching Kool Aid.

I would also love to see a good full court press on defense as well. Calhoun lived off that too- we have the speed, let’s do it.
We need a big who we can dump the ball into and he can score reliable or pass out of a double. Would like to see akok post up and shoot over his defender

Reaction Score
That’s what scares me. I’m not seeing the player or team development. I’m seeing regression. You keep losing in the Big East and we could be in a perpetual hole.
Ironically, though not a football supporter due to our position in the national scene, being a cellar dwelling b-ball team at footballs expense would be the greatest of ironies and could kill the AD as a whole.

Reaction Score
I like our assistant coaches - they seem to be great recruiters and really solid guys. But do we need 3 great recruiters or could we live with one less in favor of a very strong Xs and Os / gameplan guy? With the exception of Tom Moore, who worked under the GOAT, it doesn’t look to me like anyone else has experience working under notable coaches.

Love Hurley but he’s relatively young himself and I think we’ve seen enough that’s it’s fair to ask the question - not as a criticism of our existing coaches but more about allocation of resources. Even JC had a George Blaney.

I think Geno would be ideal for this (kidding - is too soon after a bad loss?)

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. If Hurley can’t fix this, who can?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom