Refs... | The Boneyard

Refs...

Reaction Score
This will be a teaching moment for the team to understand to keep fighting when calls don't go our way. Gotta execute and keep battling even when there is bad officiating. I will say the second half Charlton did not stay true to the strengths of the offense and keep running the ball down their throats with Burns the bruiser. Even though burns is no Nate Carter, I believe he would have got the job done to gas them out and then use Rosa has a change of pace guy to light them with speed of the edge. I will say what hurts the most is ZT being indecisive, but Charlton also needs to dial up better packages to get the ball to our best WRs during crunch time. I did not agree with Estes and Flynn out there on that last drive, I rather have Joly, Turner, and Clericius who are our play makers going out there to make a play on the ball. This game will sting because it is a game we should have won, but when defense is giving it everything they have and offense is out there and we cough up the ball right back to the other team, it wears them out. Rosa needs to do a better job at knowing its 3rd and long, no need to be a hero and run into traffic and cough up the ball, just get down, Estes gotta make that catch, Our o-line gotta stay in composure and not panic fuel by emotion which one caused us a flag and the other a holding call.

The refs I will say were bad, because I do not think I have seen so many chop blocks and holding by a team in which the ref just let it go, but when its our turn, we are getting penalized. Penalties hurt us this game, but the kids should be proud they fought all the way. Some of it falls on the kids and some of it falls on the coaching. I think Mora can get the team to 6 wins but the team will have to play all 4 quarters instead of 1st half and put their foot on the gas all game long.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This will be a teaching moment for the team to understand to keep fighting when calls don't go our way. Gotta execute and keep battling even when there is bad officiating. I will say the second half Charlton did not stay true to the strengths of the offense and keep running the ball down their throats with Burns the bruiser. Even though burns is no Nate Carter, I believe he would have got the job done to gas them out and then use Rosa has a change of pace guy to light them with speed of the edge. I will say what hurts the most is ZT being indecisive, but Charlton also needs to dial up better packages to get the ball to our best WRs during crunch time. I did not agree with Estes and Flynn out there on that last drive, I rather have Joly, Turner, and Clericius who are our play makers going out there to make a play on the ball. This game will sting because it is a game we should have won, but when defense is giving it everything they have and offense is out there and we cough up the ball right back to the other team, it wears them out. Rosa needs to do a better job at knowing its 3rd and long, no need to be a hero and run into traffic and cough up the ball, just get down, Estes gotta make that catch, Our o-line gotta stay in composure and not panic fuel by emotion which one caused us a flag and the other a holding call.

The refs I will say were bad, because I do not think I have seen so many chop blocks and holding by a team in which the ref just let it go, but when its our turn, we are getting penalized. Penalties hurt us this game, but the kids should be proud they fought all the way. Some of it falls on the kids and some of it falls on the coaching. I think Mora can get the team to 6 wins but the team will have to play all 4 quarters instead of 1st half and put their foot on the gas all game long.

Turner is still real bad with the zone reads. He has 4-6 times a game where he should keep it for easy runs and forces the RB in to a no gain or loss of yardage play.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Turner is still real bad with the zone reads. He has 4-6 times a game where he should keep it for easy runs and forces the RB in to a no gain or loss of yardage play.
He read those exact plays beautifully in the first half and… not so much in the second half

Reaction Score

One of the most one-sided officiating performances I can recall

Reaction Score
We saw one replay of the PF on J Stafford. It was not on a physical act but a verbal one. If you see the play Jelani was shoved to the ground and it may have been after the play was blown dead. He got up walked by the Ball St O lineman and said something. I hope Mora sticks up for him.

Reaction Score
We saw one replay of the PF on J Stafford. It was not on a physical act but a verbal one. If you see the play Jelani was shoved to the ground and it may have been after the play was blown dead. He got up walked by the Ball St O lineman and said something. I hope Mora sticks up for him.
Another bad call.

Reaction Score
Mora seemed to be yelling at him as he walked off the field.

Reaction Score
12 to 2 is pretty far fetched for penalties especially with the OK of the helmet to helmet hit. Refs dropped the ball on their end.
Depth hurt again today with second half fatigue. Carson Steele held in check the first half ran wild in the second ending up with 179 yards.
The more I think about this game the more ticked I am at Charlton. We had no plan in the second half and blew it. Refs helping Ball St aside.
Why not more carries for Burns who came out on fire as a seasoned veteran with beer keg thighs ??? This rather than Rosa taking a constant pounding and having to run back kicks also. Something seems amiss with Burns or the staff. He ran for 71 yds today on 11 carries for a 6.5 average. Hope to see more of him in the near future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s obvious they don’t trust Zion to go out and win a game when that’s what’s on the line. Whether that’s in indictment on Zion or Charlton. I think we’re going to find out in the next couple games.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
12 to 2 is pretty far fetched for penalties especially with the OK of the helmet to helmet hit. Refs dropped the ball on their end.
Depth hurt again today with second half fatigue. Carson Steele held in check the first half ran wild in the second ending up with 179 yards.

Why not more carries for Burns who came out on fire as a seasoned veteran with beer keg thighs ??? This rather than Rosa taking a constant pounding and having to run back kicks also. Something seems amiss with Burns or the staff. He ran for 71 yds today on 11 carries for a 6.5 average. Hope to see more of him in the near future.
The hit on Turner was definitely targeting. He was already on the ground when the second player hit him on the side of the helmet and his head and neck snapped back. That was too close to doing some serious damage

Reaction Score
Listened on radio. Announcers were all over the bad officiating . Like coach said don't blame the refs if you want to improve.

Reaction Score
Yeah that sucked, but this team has shown resilience throughout the year so far. I think they bounce back and beat BC handedly.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this game the more ticked I am at Charlton. We had no plan in the second half and blew it. Refs helping Ball St aside.
How do you know he had no plan? I assume the penalties were not part of the plan anyway. I think Charlton has done a great job under the circumstances (injuries) we've faced.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The hit on Turner was definitely targeting. He was already on the ground when the second player hit him on the side of the helmet and his head and neck snapped back. That was too close to doing some serious damage
Unfortunately Aaron popped up too quickly. If he milked it they wouldn’t have called off the flag.

Anyone else see the Ball St player laying on the ground like he was paralyzed after a clean shot to the ribs late in the fourth quarter just to jog off? It was like he was laying there until they threw a flag. I’m actually surprised they didn’t throw one.

Reaction Score
Old news, bad away calls happen (especially with away opponent's conference refs, e.g., Saturday), possibly a fun-spirited David Benedict conversation with his ex-UConn 2nd-in-command / recently departed Ball State AD (Beth Goetz, recently moved to UofI, hat tip to Medic for updated info), and some questionable O calls also happen (perhaps a few too many 2H pass plays after running well 1H), etc. It's safe to guess there's no way MAC refs will be on the Rent's field when UConn hosts Ball State in 2025, but Mora and company likely turned the corner. Go UConn, beat BCU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it winning teams never complain about officiating :confused:
This board doesn’t seem to hyper focus on officiating - especially after the game is over.

But Saturday’s game stood out for the tinkering of the game by the refereeing. It went beyond a few bad calls and took away from the game.

Even with Jelani he was thrown down after whistle, he had enough.

Might make some sense to cross Ball State off the list, not a good series to maintain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom