Red Shirt Question | The Boneyard

Red Shirt Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Historically, which UConn players have been awarded an extra red-shirt year? Of those which players chose to play an extra year, and which chose to forgo that year?

To start, Carolyn Doty stayed her extra year, while Nicole Wolff chose to forego hers. Not sure if Brittany Hunter got an extra year.

I'm sure boneyarders will know the answer to these questions.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Geesh, been many with the BattleBot, JMo, Shea, Greene Machine, Doty, etc. Hunter was severely restricted from her Duke injuries before coming over, and Wolff was physically unable to play anymore and obviously did not want a 5th year. And Tonya Boone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only UConn players I can think of who didn't use up their eligibility are Wolff and Kirsten(? I forget her last name, not sure if I got the first name right), who IIRC was the K in the TASSK force with Sue, Swin, Tamika, and Ashja. Both left due to chronic injury problems; K never played much at all before her knees gave up on her.

Reaction Score
Heather Buck

No. Heather used up all her eligibility, I just checked the site archive rosters to make sure I'm not making this up. It was especially handy for her because the demands of her degree often result in students needing a fifth year to finish, and she got her fifth year for free.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The only UConn players I can think of who didn't use up their eligibility are Wolff and Kirsten(? I forget her last name, not sure if I got the first name right), who IIRC was the K in the TASSK force with Sue, Swin, Tamika, and Ashja. Both left due to chronic injury problems; K never played much at all before her knees gave up on her.
Walters (sp)

Reaction Score
No. Heather used up all her eligibility, I just checked the site archive rosters to make sure I'm not making this up. It was especially handy for her because the demands of her degree often result in students needing a fifth year to finish, and she got her fifth year for free.

Note that Heather is in a different category than the others. She didn't require a medical hardship waiver (sometimes known as a redshirt) and didn't have to provide medical evidence or get any NCAA waiver. That is because she didn't play in any games her first year. Every player automatically has five years to complete their allowable four seasons of competition without needing any kind of waiver. She just didn't play her first year and then played the next four. It was irrelevant for her eligibility that she had mono. Her case was a true redshirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom