Recruits? | The Boneyard

Recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The issue for the kids is whether you stand pat and hope the new coach is someone you want to spend 5 years with or take what's out there. Some early observations - Watch:

Penn State. They just found themselves w/an extra 5 seats and are aparently after Noye and Bloom.
UMass. I'd expect them to go after Rodrick.
Look for kids like Chasz Wright to take a step back and consider other options.

The problem with waitting till December to hire a coach (which is the right thing, unless you are going adter an unemployed guy) is that you just put targets on all of your recruits. And hunting season will stay open for at least 10 weeks.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Realistically most of them will be giving it a second thought, however because its TJ running the show (as oppose to anyone else on the staff) - I expect many will stick around. TJ in his short time here has already demonstrated solid recruiting capability. I mean, whats not to like by TJ? I know a young student athlete's decision is never that simple, but seriously, what's not to like...

Reaction Score
Coaching changes invariably hurt one year of recruiting. It's a price you have to pay. Saving one year's recruiting class is not worth limiting your search to unemployed coaches just for the sake of getting a new hire in now. It's too important that the right guy be in charge.

Reaction Score
I believe the basketball program went through this same issue with Ollie a few months ago, and the basketball arm of the UCONN fan base was livid about it. Let's all learn something from that. We won, it all turned out fine. same thing in football - we win, and we're competitive from here, it will all work out in recruiting. It always does when you win. If we're losing the rest of the season, we would have the same issues with recruiting no matter what is done with the coaching staff, except we'd be transitioning head coaches later, and have less stability between the cruch time in recruiting between November and February.

when the time is right to fire a head coach, it's right, and it was right in this instance.

Reaction Score
The issue for the kids is whether you stand pat and hope the new coach is someone you want to spend 5 years with or take what's out there. Some early observations - Watch:

Penn State. They just found themselves w/an extra 5 seats and are aparently after Noye and Bloom.
UMass. I'd expect them to go after Rodrick.
Look for kids like Chasz Wright to take a step back and consider other options.

The problem with waitting till December to hire a coach (which is the right thing, unless you are going adter an unemployed guy) is that you just put targets on all of your recruits. And hunting season will stay open for at least 10 weeks.

Agreed - You will have some kids that UConn is just where they want to play and go to school and are probably fine (Newsome for example) and others that have built a relationship w/ their recruiter (Wilkins w/ DeLeone for example) that will go. I think TJW. Wholley, Wilcz, Buggs and others will do their damndest to hold it together as everyone starts to try to poach the commits/offered, but there is still some uncertainty whether they remain. I also think the change also opens up conversations with kids that didn't see an opportunity w/ UConn with PP and GDL on staff.

Collateral damage with coaching change.

Reaction Score
Havent seen any bad news yet on TOS--they have checked in with a lot of the commitments already

Reaction Score
ConnPostSports 8:47pm via TweetDeck
Ansonia's Newsome remains comittied to UConn in wake of coaching change: Post original url/1bsbbtM #cthsfb
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Newsome-plans-on-remaining-committed-to-UConn-4864432.php

>>"I like (UConn's) program and their offensive style," Newsome said shortly after his commitment. "There was a real interest in me, and that's one of the reasons I made my decision."

While he felt bad about Pasqualoni's firing, according to Brockett, Newsome isn't looking to abandon his commitment. UConn athletic director Warde Manuel and Weist both said the program will honor the commitments of current recruits.<<

Reaction Score
ConnPostSports 8:47pm via TweetDeck
Ansonia's Newsome remains comittied to UConn in wake of coaching change: Post original url/1bsbbtM #cthsfb
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Newsome-plans-on-remaining-committed-to-UConn-4864432.php

>>"I like (UConn's) program and their offensive style," Newsome said shortly after his commitment. "There was a real interest in me, and that's one of the reasons I made my decision."

While he felt bad about Pasqualoni's firing, according to Brockett, Newsome isn't looking to abandon his commitment. UConn athletic director Warde Manuel and Weist both said the program will honor the commitments of current recruits.<<

Newsome is currently averaging 22 yards per carry. Holy crap.

Gotta keep Marchi too. Warde's comments about wanting a coach with a wide open passing style probably helps.

Reaction Score
I wonder what TJ's recruiting philosophy will be, hopefully it's an abundant of speed.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Coaching changes invariably hurt one year of recruiting. It's a price you have to pay. Saving one year's recruiting class is not worth limiting your search to unemployed coaches just for the sake of getting a new hire in now. It's too important that the right guy be in charge.

Who knew that adversity would put us on the same page, so often?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Newsome is currently averaging 22 yards per carry. Holy crap.
His stats are skewed by a bunch of long runs. If you took all of his long runs out, he'd be averaging like 3 yards per carry. :)

Reaction Score

Coaching changes, and they're impact on recruiting, can cut both ways. Who's to say UCONN doesn't get the type of recruiter with a following that that decides to "follow?"

Reaction Score
can't find any recent news on this Nick Apostolu kid out of Springfield, PA(6'5" 307lb OT). UConn and a handful of schools showed reasonable interest in him but can't find any recent news.

from Aug. 30th Philly news-

Springfield (Delco) at Interboro, Friday, 7:30 p.m., at the South Avenue Athletic Complex: Interboro is the defending District 1 Class AAA champions and Springfield is a team that could threaten a Bucs’ repeat down the line. The Bucs went 11-3 last year, while Springfield finished 7-4. The true battle comes in the trenches between behemoths Nick Apostolu, Springfield’s 6-5, 310-pound two-way lineman, and Interboro’s Matt Gould, who’s 6-6, 315. For anyone interested in a heavyweight fight, here it is.
Prediction: Interboro 24, Springfield 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc