Recruits at game tomorrow? | The Boneyard

Recruits at game tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard of any recruits attending? You'd have to think for this big game at home we will have a couple ladies sitting next to the legend championship teams that will be honored tomorrow. :)

I haven't checked their high school schedules, but if they don't have games I wouldn't be surprised to see Olivia Vukosa in attendance again....and fingers crossed, would absolutely love to see Sarah Strong at the game!

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong has a game at the same time. Pretty sure she is a heavy UNC lean at this time considering she was at another one of their games last weekend, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong has a game at the same time. Pretty sure she is a heavy UNC lean at this time considering she was at another one of their games last weekend, unfortunately.

I know someone said she was at a Duke game recently. Didn't hear about another UNC game.

Too bad she has a game tomorrow. Would have been an awesome atmosphere for her to experience!

Hopefully we have some other recruits in attendance. :)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
need? it would be terrific. but if this need can't be met, uconn & geno will just have to go with they've whoever got. .... like this year. and that's been pretty successful this season.

fact is, the huskies have never gotten every player someone thought they needed to be winners. they've done well without 'em for about 20 years. and fans seemed to enjoy what they put on the floor, despite it all.

obviously, i don't dig 'need.'

Reaction Score
I don't see Sarah coming to UCONN. UCONN is no longer the " sure thing" team to arrive at the NCAA finals. And UCONN has
two " bigs" in hand...Jana and Ice Brady ( Probably neither of which have the skill set of Sarah). But she doesn't want to go somewhere and sit on the bench. For whatever reason, UCONN's pipeline to top Bigs from the US High School circuit, is pretty empty. South Carolina, by way of contrast, has about 4-5 bigs and more on the way. UCONN has become a guard team with maybe a 6'3" "wing " player struggling to play the post. End of story. I think it can take us to the final four ( when all is well ), but not beyond. Maybe what we need is to find those 6'4" guards that will soon emerge.

Reaction Score
I don't see Sarah coming to UCONN. UCONN is no longer the " sure thing" team to arrive at the NCAA finals. And UCONN has
two " bigs" in hand...Jana and Ice Brady ( Probably neither of which have the skill set of Sarah). But she doesn't want to go somewhere and sit on the bench. For whatever reason, UCONN's pipeline to top Bigs from the US High School circuit, is pretty empty. South Carolina, by way of contrast, has about 4-5 bigs and more on the way. UCONN has become a guard team with maybe a 6'3" "wing " player struggling to play the post. End of story. I think it can take us to the final four ( when all is well ), but not beyond. Maybe what we need is to find those 6'4" guards that will soon emerge.
We do have a 6’5” post sitting on the bench due to injury. People seem to forget that has things gone to plan we’d have a reasonably deep from court.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe shes coming to UConn and attending those games because theyre close to home. My reasoning is Duke and UNC have roster spots open and she hasnt committed to them. I think shes waiting to see what happens, JMO

Reaction Score
It was reported recently that she does not want to play in the front court. She wants to play SG or Wing. That being the case, I hope she chooses my Gamecocks. I still believe she's UCONN's to lose.

I just can't see her going to UNC. I think in the end, she will choose a National Power; UCONN or Carolina.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is, Strong is still 6'2" regardless of her skillset, so how is her coming to UConn a matter of life or death? Several teams will have bigs a lot taller than that, so what is her presence going to do to change the height disparity. Now I agree a healthy Jana, more experienced Ice AND a Freshman Strong make a more formidable front court, not to mention a returning and health Ayanna and maybe Aubrey too. However, I simply don't agree with this dire strait attitude if we somehow don't get her. Based on the past championship teams, having a one two punch like Jana and Ice can be more than enough to win a natty. We have won several natty's with essentially one big and four guards (2003, 2004, 2009, 2010), so having two legitimate bigs (based on how I feel Ice will develop next season and how I saw Jana play on video) next season with the guards we have should be enough.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn misses the Final Four for the first time in 14 years and you say they are no longer a sure thing and was in the Final against SC two years ago. I want what you are smoking so I can relax watching tomorrow's game against the Irish.

Reaction Score
UConn misses the Final Four for the first time in 14 years and you say they are no longer a sure thing and was in the Final against SC two years ago. I want what you are smoking so I can relax watching tomorrow's game against the Irish.
We are oh so spoiled... Other teams would dream to have what we huskies fan call a "bad season". Like I said earlier, I would consider it a good season if Uconn makes it to the sweet 16, even if they loose. The injured players we have on our bench can easily be a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
I don't really consider Strong a big at only 6'2. I think UConn does a good job with players 6'3 and below, not so much with tall players. Other than Liv they really haven't had a traditional post player that is taller than 6'4 that I can remember.

This is not a knock, UConn has proven you can win with an athletic 6'3 against teams with much more height and it looks like they will do it again this year. It is frustrating when they have height and don't use it but the fact of the matter is Geno still wins more than anyone else so maybe he knows what will work for him.

So in summary I think they will have a bunch of players around 6'2 to 6'3 and continue to use athleticism to overcome superior height.

Reaction Score
No team is ever a “sure thing” to get to an NCAA final need I have to point out so car last year
Completely inaccurate regarding sc with 4/5 bigs
On their 8 player rotation they play 1 post player
The other 6/2 to 6/3 players are wing players if Cardozo leaves for wnba they will not be playong
With a true center next year
Sara Strong may or may not come to UConn
You show complete lack of how recruiting works
Players chose a school for a myriad of reasons some very logical many not ..the one constant is do they connect with the head coach
And a player of her caliber playing time would
Not be.(what may influence the decision is knowing
That she will play for 3 years with a great backcourt)

In the 2022 class IB and AP were the highest ranked power forwards in there class
Injuries have obviously impacted their contributions

The 2023 with JEL A center who if she was a us
Hs player would have been similarly highly regarded

From a basketball perspective this constant
Focus on big players is so puzzling

South Carolina imho is a better team this year
Due to generally playing 3 guards
And play well when Cardozo is out.

LSU generally seen as the next most tslented
Team play with a 6/3 forward as their biggest playet

Iowa went to the finals with a 6:3 center

Stanford won a championship with Cameron brink at center another foward

And while Ucla has effectively used l betts
The loss to utah where she had to be taken out of the game due to her inability to guard away from the basket

And yes s car won with a boston
And that was because she was a generational
Player

With all players healthy this year Uconn was
Arguably the most talented team and one of the favorites to win a championship

Why the need to create a negative false
Narrative ?

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is, Strong is still 6'2" regardless of her skillset, so how is her coming to UConn a matter of life or death? Several teams will have bigs a lot taller than that, so what is her presence going to do to change the height disparity. Now I agree a healthy Jana, more experienced Ice AND a Freshman Strong make a more formidable front court, not to mention a returning and health Ayanna and maybe Aubrey too. However, I simply don't agree with this dire strait attitude if we somehow don't get her. Based on the past championship teams, having a one two punch like Jana and Ice can be more than enough to win a natty. We have won several natty's with essentially one big and four guards (2003, 2004, 2009, 2010), so having two legitimate bigs (based on how I feel Ice will develop next season and how I saw Jana play on video) next season with the guards we have should be enough.
UConn will be fine with or without Sara Strong
But to minimize not getting a yes from a player
Who many consider “generational” is interesting
I’ve seen SS play and given her unigue physical
Stature she plays “bigger “than any current hs
Players and a physical presence not currently on the UConn roster
Think C Barkey with ball handling skills
Great court vision and great 3 pt shooting
in Short she is really really good player who
Would make UConn a potentially better team

Remember
UConn has not won a championship without
A “generational player”

We have one now and that’s why we have a chance this year!!

Would be ecstatic to get another

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I don’t know what the roster situation is for all the contenders, but if the one program you wanted to attend was the one withe the biggest questions in regards to roster space, might that lead you to “wait and see” before committing?

To put it another way, Strong may have internal reasons for choosing late, but if there are external reasons we know that for UConn that reason might be the uncertain roster space. What external reasons do other programs provide that would lead to Strong waiting until spring?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Master Sargent, I totally agree with your assessment! Missing the final four last year was an aberration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom