Recruiting update from Rich | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruiting update from Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will let you know if Ms M. shows up too, but IMO, after today's news, its a waste of time. Although things can always change. The above is only my opinion and no knowledge of future events is actually known by me, just a guesstimate.
Why do you think this makes it a waste of time?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The discussion about UConn recruiting a Canadian, Nurse, has been of special interest to me because my beloved wife, Mrs. Kibitzer here, is indeed a Canadian nurse.

But on 9/11 she takes her US Constitution test, and unless she "takes the 5th," that is the final hurdle before she becomes sworn in as a US Citizen.

And I am very proud of my Canadian nurse.

Good for Mrs. K! And you, too, Kib. My brother also married a foreign nurse who is one step, so to speak, removed from being Canadian - she hails from England. They met while he was stationed at a NATO air base in Great Britain. She, too, eventually became a US citizen.

My brother plans to become a Husky WCBB season ticket holder this year and we are planning on meeting up in Nashville.

JS

Reaction Score
images

Is this diagram common core accepted? Does it reflect the new smarter balanced testing?

No idea about its relevance to current educational methods. I grabbed it because it suited my purpose. I do notice the structure resembles a frequently recommended structure for an entire article, not just for a paragraph.

Personally, I like a lot of paragraphing, especially for online posting. One or two-sentence paragraphs are fine with me. When a paragraph gets to be more than three or four sentences, I get uneasy and start looking for ways to break it up.

I tell myself, "There must be more than one thought or topic in this paragraph." My feeling is that each paragraph should encompass discussion of one basic thought, and I search for the "seam" in the paragraph.

It is, of course, arguable that most of my paragraphs fail the test of containing one basic thought, and it isn't because they contain too many thoughts.

But in the absence of bona fide thoughts, I reserve the right to present a well-organized and tersely-stated series of inanities. The latest of which had best now end, not with a conclusion but with the notation that I have no thought what to say next.

Reaction Score
UcMiami, I don't agree with you at all regarding the practices that Geno has and that others are no different. He has 8 championships and all the coaches you mentioned have maybe 3(correct me if necc.) total. My point which noboby seemed to comment on, was the growth and development of Griner and Dolson.
What would Griner be like now if she played for Geno? Where would Dolson be now if she did not attend Uconn? Geno is the best in the game and before you start throwing other names up there, lets see the championships first. Sure they are all very good coaches and recruiters and isn't true greatness measured by chamoionships? Geno, Summit, Jordan, Russell, Magic, Bird, Jeter, Brady, Aikman, Wayne G. etc

U

UCONNfan1

I certainly think there are some basketball programs out there that do not demand the same intensity as Geno and Uconn, but I doubt you would find a hair's breadth of difference, between Geno and Kim and Muffet and JPMcC, Tara, and CViv, and Jeff and ....
I certainly wouldn't want to be the one that raised my hand during a practice run by any of those folks and said, 'umm, can we slow down a little bit here, I seem to be sweating too much'! And for the most part those are the programs that are signing the players we wanted.
I disagree with this a little bit too. I've read numerous times other elite teams (Duke was the latest last year) to play UCONN and opine that they were not ready for the 40 minutes of intensity that UCONN puts on the court with all 5 players every minute of every game. I've also read comments (maybe from the UCLA coach, and possibly Walz?) when they attended a UCONN practice that they were shocked at how much fitness training there was and how intense the practices were. Or something like that...

As a side note, I'm disappointed we are putting all our eggs for size in one basket. We either lost out on, or stopped recruiting, every other post player in the class. Never understood why we never went after Jatarie White. Unless she just doesn't want to leave the south. All the schools on her list are down there... But still, and i know we will be fine if we don't land Wilson, it still seems like we are short in the post...

Reaction Score
No idea about its relevance to current educational methods. I grabbed it because it suited my purpose. I do notice the structure resembles a frequently recommended structure for an entire article, not just for a paragraph.

Personally, I like a lot of paragraphing, especially for online posting. One or two-sentence paragraphs are fine with me. When a paragraph gets to be more than three or four sentences, I get uneasy and start looking for ways to break it up.

I tell myself, "There must be more than one thought or topic in this paragraph." My feeling is that each paragraph should encompass discussion of one basic thought, and I search for the "seam" in the paragraph.

It is, of course, arguable that most of my paragraphs fail the test of containing one basic thought, and it isn't because they contain too many thoughts.

But in the absence of bona fide thoughts, I reserve the right to present a well-organized and tersely-stated series of inanities. The latest of which had best now end, not with a conclusion but with the notation that I have no thought what to say next.

LOL... sorry I meant nothing by it... just joking around with the ever changing educational world.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UcMiami, I don't agree with you at all regarding the practices that Geno has and that others are no different. He has 8 championships and all the coaches you mentioned have maybe 3(correct me if necc.) total. My point which noboby seemed to comment on, was the growth and development of Griner and Dolson.
What would Griner be like now if she played for Geno? Where would Dolson be now if she did not attend Uconn? Geno is the best in the game and before you start throwing other names up there, lets see the championships first. Sure they are all very good coaches and recruiters and isn't true greatness measured by chamoionships? Geno, Summit, Jordan, Russell, Magic, Bird, Jeter, Brady, Aikman, Wayne G. etc
I think Geno is a great coach and better than any of those I listed, but coaching is not the same as intensity. And I think what Geno teaches (his 'system') is superior to most if not all of them. And generally his game coaching is better. And I think those are the differences you see in the development of Uconn players and not the intensity of the coaching demands. And while players that actually practice for the various coaches might notice some intensity level variations I do not think any of the recruits have a clue until they go through the first week of practice at any of these programs, so saying they are making any decisions based on something they haven't experienced is probably wrong. And I doubt anyone of us would use 'lazy' to describe any player that goes through a year with any of these coaches.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that knowing they (UConn) only wanted to take "X" number of 2014 recruits (4) and knowing that A'ja Wilson was their #1 target left on the board, that both Westbeld and Rooks were offered "conditional" offers while the Huskies were waiting to hear from Wilson. Or that simply Westbeld and Rooks are getting pressured from the other schools they are looking at to make a decision or lose their offer, or else the recruits are anxious to make a decision and end this process, and they informed UConn they can't wait any longer, that they need a firm offer or else they don't wish to be considered by UConn any longer?

I am not all that knowledgeable with the inner workings of "offers" to recruits. Can anyone shed some light on my possible theories?

One thing that distinguishes UConn from most programs is that they do not make conditional offers. They only seriously recruit the same number of recruits that they have open scholarship offers. They do not offer the same scholarship to multiple players the way most schools do. If they have only 3 scholarships open, they will only actively recruit 3 players at a time.

Now Geno makes that work partly because he isn't afraid to make the determination that a recruit isn't interested enough to ultimately choose UConn. And he'll stop recruiting that player, and start actively recruiting a new player. But as long as Geno believes a recruit is seriously interested he'll hold that specific scholarship for the recruit until the very end.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do typing. I do thinking. But are you suggesting that they go together?
I would never suggest BY'ers did that. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Scotter, excellent post. A lot of other schools over recruit and hope for the best.

Reaction Score
Is it naïve to believe there has to be another Jessica Moore or Jamelle Elliott type player still out there in the class of 20104?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is it naïve to believe there has to be another Jessica Moore or Jamelle Elliott type player still out there in the class of 20104?
20104, pretty sure Geno won't be coaching by then unless UCONN's cloning program makes some great advances.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I certainly think there are some basketball programs out there that do not demand the same intensity as Geno and Uconn, but I doubt you would find a hair's breadth of difference, between Geno and Kim and Muffet and JPMcC, Tara, and CViv, and Jeff and ....
I certainly wouldn't want to be the one that raised my hand during a practice run by any of those folks and said, 'umm, can we slow down a little bit here, I seem to be sweating too much'! And for the most part those are the programs that are signing the players we wanted.

Actually, UcM, any number of other coaches and former player/broadcasters have consistently noted the difference between UConn practices and those of other programs. They note things like no tolerance for taking a play off, that Geno is willing to stick with one thing for a very long time until he gets what he wants, and a disciplined move from one exercise to another (no time off).

Jeff tells the story of his asking Geno if he and his team could watch a practice (this was a few years ago) and Geno surprised him by saying yes and Jeff said it was an eye opening experience for all those sitting in the bleachers.

Reaction Score

Not sure what you mean. But if you're trying to ask if there's an under the radar player that UConn could still swoop in and get ... the answer is No.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually, UcM, any number of other coaches and former player/broadcasters have consistently noted the difference between UConn practices and those of other programs. They note things like no tolerance for taking a play off, that Geno is willing to stick with one thing for a very long time until he gets what he wants, and a disciplined move from one exercise to another (no time off).

Jeff tells the story of his asking Geno if he and his team could watch a practice (this was a few years ago) and Geno surprised him by saying yes and Jeff said it was an eye opening experience for all those sitting in the bleachers.
Yes I liked that Jeff story and think it reflects well on both of them - but that was also I believe in Jeff's first year as a head coach and I doubt he ignore his lesson - certainly his teams seem to not lack intensity since. (Might have been his second year but the first year Uconn visited Louisville under his watch.) And you will notice I did not include his previous HC in my list of names - though she does have an intense game face that would scare the bejezzus out of me! And I have never seen anyone make that comparison with Muffet or Tara or Kim or Pat. Again, I am not saying Geno is not a unique and exceptional coach, but this started because someone said a lot of post recruits are lazy and go to other programs because they are afraid of Geno actually demanding they work. And I think that is unnecessarily derogatory about both HS post players and Geno's fellow D1 coaches many of whom I admire.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
All of these WCBB programs and many others are intense and demanding in ways that most BYers are only partially aware of, because demands take many different forms. Whether the intensity of the 8-on-5, and women vs. men UConn practices are just a hair's-breadth more intense than a Duke or Louisville practice is debatable, but "intensity" by itself is a meaningless term since there could be no more intense a practice than doing continuous wind sprints for an hour with a sack of b-balls on your back, though its contribution to a team's success would be minimal.

What makes for success is a system that integrates the strategy, execution, and flexible thinking with the repeated practice of plays in intense challenging conditions that gives a team the edge to win 8 or 9 titles. A haka dance performed with the most intensity ever will still not get you an NC unless you put in the necessary hours on the practice court -- though Stef doing a haka before the NC game in Nashville would probably go a long way toward sewing up another championship for the Huskies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
20104, pretty sure Geno won't be coaching by then unless UCONN's cloning program makes some great advances.

Star Trek has already anticipated such exigencies. I like their solution.

We should put Geno, CD and Jen R. under glass like this and preserve their coaching acumen for future millenia.

gamesters.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr