Recruiting update from JA | The Boneyard

Recruiting update from JA

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's the first time i've seen UCONN linked with Canada. We are also looking at Calhoun and Drummer apparently. I tell ya - i think 2013 may end up a 0 or 1 person class, but 2014 will be epic...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Everybody is all over Wilson right now. She is the best player in the 2014 class hands down right now, imo.
Have you seen Brianna Turner? She sounds spectacular too.

Reaction Score
That's the first time i've seen UCONN linked with Canada. We are also looking at Calhoun and Drummer apparently. I tell ya - i think 2013 may end up a 0 or 1 person class, but 2014 will be epic...

UConn has been on Canada for a little while now. I hear she likes UConn too, but I have no clue if that means they are a leader or not. I know the Cali schools, Duke, Tennessee, are all involved with her.

Wilson's recruitment will be interesting. She seems to like North Carolina and South Carolina very much along with a few SEC schools. Will be interesting to see if she can be plucked out of the southeast.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, she is very, very good. I still think there are a few players ahead of her in the class though. However, she could prove me wrong.
HG ranked her #2 and wrote that she had the potential and athleticism to be #1 hands down--or something to that effect.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jordin Canada USA Bio - Link

Favorite Player: Sue Bird
What's not to love about Sue? Even injured, she's still one of the best PG's in the world. I wonder - these kids who list Maya or Sue or Tina as their favorite players - do they (the kids) ever actually try to contact them? I know it's probably against the rules for pros to reach out to high school players, but we see so many players involved in their communities, and at various hoops camps, etc. i was wondering how much, if any, contact former UCONN players have with prospects...

Reaction Score
Some recruiting information from the UCLA board. She has an offer from Tennessee. Reportedly, earlier this year Duke was her favorite, but that might change as Duke got a verbal from Kiana Holland.

Reaction Score
HG ranked her #2 and wrote that she had the potential and athleticism to be #1 hands down--or something to that effect.

I might have said that a couple of years ago before A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell made their marks. Wilson likely would have been considered the top player of the 2014 class for years now had she played against elite competition before this summer. This summer was the first time most people were able to see her against top players and teams, and she put on a show. She's a 6'6" guard who can do anything. Mitchell is a showstopper. Can score at will and best player off the dribble in high school regardless of class. Turner is very good and will be a great college player. I just think those two are better and there may be 1 or 2 others who end up better. I was a little disappointed in her play most of the summer, but she turnded it on with USA basketball. I think you'll find a few other analysts who agree. Clay Kallum for sure. If Hoopgurlz ever redoes their rankings, they will have Wilson at #1 most likely followed by Mitchell. The elite in this class will truly get sorted out next summer.

Reaction Score
My gut right now also tells me Wilson may be a UNC lean at this time. As we all know recruiting can shift on a dime though. She'll be at UNC with DeShields, Gray, Washington, Mavunga, etc. next weekend when they take their officials.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My gut right now also tells me Wilson may be a UNC lean at this time. As we all know recruiting can shift on a dime though. She'll be at UNC with DeShields, Gray, Washington, Mavunga, etc. next weekend when they take their officials.
Groan. :( Thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
I do think we will have at least 1 or 2 in 2013! As to who they will be I am not sure? As for 2014,it has the potential to be amongst the best classes ever in college womens basketball! I had heard for months that Jordan was on our radar! What we are looking at right now is
ASGR HG
#1 Wilson #2 Turner
#3 Turner #4 Canada
#4 Caldwell #6 Caldwell
#5 Canada #9 Calhoun
#8 Eckman #10 Wilson ****
#9 Drummer #11 Drummer
#11 Calhoun #13 Eckman
There may be a cpl of more!!!!!!! I do wish that Wilson was not going to UNC next weekend along with their 2013 class! I also wish we had a # of the 2014 class coming next weekend! I thought Eckman was coming? You take a look at this group and you are looking at the potential of a class that blows away the UNC 2013 UNC class! Our 2012 class with 3 far surpasses with the 3 amigos, the 4 of UNC for 2013! Now we need to actually put together this 2014 class:) to join Eckman!
Anyone know what the recruiting status is of Cohen 2014 from SC??

Reaction Score
What's not to love about Sue? Even injured, she's still one of the best PG's in the world. I wonder - these kids who list Maya or Sue or Tina as their favorite players - do they (the kids) ever actually try to contact them? I know it's probably against the rules for pros to reach out to high school players, but we see so many players involved in their communities, and at various hoops camps, etc. i was wondering how much, if any, contact former UCONN players have with prospects...
I might have said that a couple of years ago before A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell made their marks. Wilson likely would have been considered the top player of the 2014 class for years now had she played against elite competition before this summer. This summer was the first time most people were able to see her against top players and teams, and she put on a show. She's a 6'6" guard who can do anything. Mitchell is a showstopper. Can score at will and best player off the dribble in high school regardless of class. Turner is very good and will be a great college player. I just think those two are better and there may be 1 or 2 others who end up better. I was a little disappointed in her play most of the summer, but she turnded it on with USA basketball. I think you'll find a few other analysts who agree. Clay Kallum for sure. If Hoopgurlz ever redoes their rankings, they will have Wilson at #1 most likely followed by Mitchell. The elite in this class will truly get sorted out next summer.

Wow jxnmsbball fan, it is apparent you are a Wilson fan which great, but there is no need second guess Turner's obvious talent. The fact is unlike Wilson, Turner has been playing against the top players for the last few years. So what does it mean when you say Wilson likely would have been considered the top player of the 2014 class for years had she played against elite competition before this summer??? That is a very weak statement to prove your point. So since in your opinion Wilson and Mitchell along with 1 or 2 others that will end up better, Turner will end up being the #5 player in 2014? Ridiculous.
You were disappointed in her play most of the summer? Please explain??? Turner played in only two summer events, the DFW Flava Jam and the Nike Midwest Showdown. By all credible accounts she put on dominating performances at both events. She lead DFW to the championship at the Flava Jam and led them to the semis at the Nike showdown. She did not play a full summer schedule as she was in preparation to join the U17 National Team for training camp. What few other analyst agree with your assertions??? Please give reference. You obviously twisted statements Clay Kallum made concerning Turner. What was disappointing to me is that Wilson pulled out of the USA U17 basketball trials. I'm sure she had a legitimate reason, but I was looking forward to her going against the best in the Nation in the pressure packed environment of the trials.
I'm sure you know now that Turner made the Gold Medal winning U17 team and in fact was the lone member of the 2014 class to do so. She played solidly for Team USA and gained invaluable experience along the way. Matter of fact, she also was honored with being named to the U18 3X3 team, which also won the gold medal in Spain this past Sunday. That's two more WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP gold medals than anybody else in the 2014 class. The fact is the 2014 class is undoubtedly one of the best if not best classes ever. Hopefully Turner, Mitchell and Wilson will be on the same USA team one day and that will be something to see.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow jxnmsbball fan, it is apparent you are a Wilson fan which great, but there is no need second guess Turner's obvious talent. The fact is unlike Wilson, Turner has been playing against the top players for the last few years. So what does it mean when you say Wilson likely would have been considered the top player of the 2014 class for years had she played against elite competition before this summer??? That is a very weak statement to prove your point. So since in your opinion Wilson and Mitchell along with 1 or 2 others that will end up better, Turner will end up being the #5 player in 2014? Ridiculous.
You were disappointed in her play most of the summer? Please explain??? Turner played in only two summer events, the DFW Flava Jam and the Nike Midwest Showdown. By all credible accounts she put on dominating performances at both events. She lead DFW to the championship at the Flava Jam and led them to the semis at the Nike showdown. She did not play a full summer schedule as she was in preparation to join the U17 National Team for training camp. What few other analyst agree with your assertions??? Please give reference. You obviously twisted statements Clay Kallum made concerning Turner. What was disappointing to me is that Wilson pulled out of the USA U17 basketball trials. I'm sure she had a legitimate reason, but I was looking forward to her going against the best in the Nation in the pressure packed environment of the trials.
I'm sure you know now that Turner made the Gold Medal winning U17 team and in fact was the lone member of the 2014 class to do so. She played solidly for Team USA and gained invaluable experience along the way. Matter of fact, she also was honored with being named to the U18 3X3 team, which also won the gold medal in Spain this past Sunday. That's two more WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP gold medals than anybody else in the 2014 class. The fact is the 2014 class is undoubtedly one of the best if not best classes ever. Hopefully Turner, Mitchell and Wilson will be on the same USA team one day and that will be something to see.

A very powerful first post. Excellent points.

Reaction Score

You must be her dad or coach. I never second guessed her talent. I also never said she would end up #5 in the class. IMO, Wilson and Mitchell are 1,2, and I said there MAY be 1 or 2 others above Turner when all is said and done. They have work to do to get there. I also said before that I think Turner is very good and could prove me wrong. These are my observations from watching them many times over the last few years. Opinions differ and these are mine. I'm also well aware of what tournaments she played and how many USA teams she's been on, thank you. I also disagree about the 2014 class being on the best ever. It's not deep but very top heavy. 2013 is much deeper, imo.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
You must be her dad or coach. I never second guessed her talent. I also never said she would end up #5 in the class. Imo, Wilson and Mitchell are 1,2, and I said there could be 1 or 2 others above Turner when all is said and done. They have work to do to get there. I also said before that I think Turner is very good and could prove me wrong. These are my observations from watching them many times over the last few years. Opinions differ and these are mine. I'm also well aware of what tournaments she played and how many USA teams she's been on, thank you. I also disagree about the 2014 class being on the best ever. It's not deep but very top heavy. 2013 is much deeper, imo.

If Dad or Coach, what a fine Dad or Coach. As is see it.

Reaction Score
You must be her dad or coach. I never second guessed her talent. I also never said she would end up #5 in the class. Imo, Wilson and Mitchell are 1,2, and I said there could be 1 or 2 others above Turner when all is said and done. They have work to do to get there. I also said before that I think Turner is very good and could prove me wrong. These are my observations from watching them many times over the last few years. Opinions differ and these are mine. I'm also well aware of what tournaments she played and how many USA teams she's been on, thank you. I also disagree about the 2014 class being on the best ever. It's not deep but very top heavy. 2013 is much deeper, imo.

LOL!!! That is funny coming from you. You must be Wilson's dad or coach. You missed my point and that is you do not have to pick away at one kid to build another one up. Turner and Wilson both have their choice of which top 25 program they will attend. The bottom line is they both will have scholarships and a chance to pursue their dreams. Making statements such as you were disappointed in a kid's performance when you have nothing to back it up is inflammatory. You should have expected a response. That's my opinion.

BTW, I'm not her dad or coach.

Reaction Score
LOL!!! That is funny coming from you. You must be Wilson's dad or coach. You missed my point and that is you do not have to pick away at one kid to build another one up. Turner and Wilson both have their choice of which top 25 program they will attend. The bottom line is they both will have scholarships and a chance to pursue their dreams. Making statements such as you were disappointed in a kid's performance when you have nothing to back it up is inflammatory. You should have expected a response. That's my opinion.

BTW, I'm not her dad or coach.

I think you missed my initial point as well. I respect you defending her, but please tell where I said one negative thing about Turner. Where did I pick away at Turner's game or point to any weaknesses? Yes, I was disappointed in a couple of games I saw with my own eyes but that's it. Every kid has bad games even Turner and Wilson. I didn't point to any weaknesses or say she wasn't a great player. I only said I liked some kids more and also said she would be a great college player and top 5 in the class. Top 5 in ANY class is a tremendous accomplishment, and the difference 1-5 may be minimal. How is that picking at a player? You do realize rankings are subjective, and everyone is going to disagree. Some of us see things differently than others. No reason to get angry.

Reaction Score
As I have read on the estwhile hoopgurlz site, they don't rank based on who is playing best in high school (or USA) but rather on their perceived potential in college. From the little I have read about Wilson she has outstanding tools but needs to learn to use them while Turner is further along on developing her tools. I'd be curious to read some 1st hand reports on Wilson as the HS season unfolds. For a recruiter this is a case of comparing lobster & filet mignon. Either would be nice thank you.

Reaction Score
I think you missed my initial point as well. I respect you defending her, but please tell where I said one negative thing about Turner. Where did I pick away at Turner's game or point to any weaknesses? Yes, I was disappointed in a couple of games I saw with my own eyes but that's it. Every kid has bad games even Turner and Wilson. I didn't point to any weaknesses or say she wasn't a great player. I only said I liked some kids more and also said she would be a great college player and top 5 in the class. Top 5 in ANY class is a tremendous accomplishment, and the difference 1-5 may be minimal. How is that picking at a player? You do realize rankings are subjective, and everyone is going to disagree. Some of us see things differently than others. No reason to get angry.

No anger here, just disbelief. In your first statement you were little disappointed in Turner's play most of the summer. Now you are backtracking and it was just a couple games you were disappointed in. Turner does not need anyone to defend her. She has accomplished a lot for a 16 year old. I was simply pointing out facts to you. Time will tell who is going to be the best in high school and college. Believe it or not I do know rankings are subjective and that everyone is not going to agree. Thanks

P.S. You should take your own advice.

Reaction Score
No anger here, just disbelief. In your first statement you were little disappointed in Turner's play most of the summer. Now you are backtracking and it was just a couple games you were disappointed in. Turner does not need anyone to defend her. She has accomplished a lot for a 16 year old. I was simply pointing out facts to you. Time will tell who is going to be the best in high school and college. Believe it or not I do know rankings are subjective and that everyone is not going to agree. Thanks

P.S. You should take your own advice.

Still don't understand where your disbelief comes from. I don't care who's better, and I apologize if I offended. I just thought the board might appreciate observations from someone who does travel during the summer and evaluate players nationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom