Recruiting Question | The Boneyard

Recruiting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are we done recruiting for 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong but if everyone returns (Calhoun, Purvis, Samuel, Facey, Brimah, Nolan, Cassell, Daniels, Boatright, Hamilton, Lubin, Tolksdorf) that's only 12 players and we have 13 scholarships. Now if Daniels, Boatright or maybe someone like Tolksdorf transfers we could be dealing with 9 scholarship players next year. What's up with that? Am I missing something or are we just banking these for the 2015 class? It's very possible the staff feels everyone including Boatshow and Daniels will return, but even in that situation we have 1 schollie available.

Now to answer my own question I'm guessing the staff is waiting for someone elite to become available in the spring or maybe a Kromah type veteran guy. I know we are still "mildly" interested in Lyle and Swift, but I doubt Lyle qualifies and I can see Swift going somewhere like UMass even though he wants to come to UConn simply because the staff isn't going all out. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Are we done recruiting for 2014? Correct me if I'm wrong but if everyone returns (Calhoun, Purvis, Samuel, Facey, Brimah, Nolan, Cassell, Daniels, Boatright, Hamilton, Lubin, Tolksdorf) that's only 12 players and we have 13 scholarships. Now if Daniels, Boatright or maybe someone like Tolksdorf transfers we could be dealing with 9 scholarship players next year. What's up with that? Am I missing something or are we just banking these for the 2015 class? It's very possible the staff feels everyone including Boatshow and Daniels will return, but even in that situation we have 1 schollie available.

Now to answer my own question I'm guessing the staff is waiting for someone elite to become available in the spring or maybe a Kromah type veteran guy. I know we are still "mildly" interested in Lyle and Swift, but I doubt Lyle qualifies and I can see Swift going somewhere like UMass even though he wants to come to UConn simply because the staff isn't going all out. Thoughts?

We might not be done but Ollie might decide to hold the extra schollie for a late rising big or 2015.

I think the news release about the two committed players in Cassell and Hamilton spoke volumes about Lubin's status. Whatever happened there, we might say that he is not going to be coming to UConn at this point until we hear otherwise. Whether he changed his mind, whether he ever even had an offer, whether he had a conditional offer for spring based on gameplay or grades, we don't know, and we might never know.

Personally, given the number of guards we have, I might be tempted to pass on Lyle here. We'll see but Uconn with Samuel, maybe Boatright, Purvis and Calhoun will have enough players to do well next year. Maybe if a PG blows up somewhere they look at it again, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
We haven't heard from Rock's mom much so that could be telling.........but who knows what the story is. Could very well be he is solid and has to wait for february because of the academic situation! Hope so......need the size!

Reaction Score
How is Hamilton comitted?

I think there is a 0% chance we see Lubin in Storrs and 10% we c Hamilton, maybe that is too high.

We might not be done but Ollie might decide to hold the extra schollie for a late rising big or 2015.

I think the news release about the two committed players in Cassell and Hamilton spoke volumes about Lubin's status. Whatever happened there, we might say that he is not going to be coming to UConn at this point until we hear otherwise. Whether he changed his mind, whether he ever even had an offer, whether he had a conditional offer for spring based on gameplay or grades, we don't know, and we might never know.

Personally, given the number of guards we have, I might be tempted to pass on Lyle here. We'll see but Uconn with Samuel, maybe Boatright, Purvis and Calhoun will have enough players to do well next year. Maybe if a PG blows up somewhere they look at it again, but I doubt it.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score

I think there is a 0% chance we see Lubin in Storrs and 10% we c Hamilton, maybe that is too high.
I don't hate you because you are one of the worst posters on the entire Boneyard.

I don't hate you because you felt the need to use "c" instead of "see" to save yourself 2 whole keystrokes.

No, I hate you because of your sideways avatar. Fix that ish. Or stop posting. I prefer the latter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn is not done recruiting for 2014.

I'd count on at least one more recruit.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your valuable and of course always positive insight.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we get one more recruit in April/May. My guess is that it'll be a big that decommits and we come swooping in like angels.

Reaction Score
I think we get one more recruit in April/May. My guess is that it'll be a big that decommits and we come swooping in like angels.

It would have to be a big who didn't sign a LOI.

Or, maybe the coach was fired/left.

caw

Reaction Score
Didn't @3uconn say Lubin didn't sign because His old school didn't release his information on time? Did I dream that?

Lol at 10% chance at Hamilton at UConn. Sure things may change but right now if school started tomorrow for him, he would be at UConn. That's not 10% chance.

Reaction Score
First off, Lubin is fully committed. They couldn't get all of his info from his previous school in time for him to sign. He will sign in the late period. Hamilton, if things stay the same, will also be here. You can't blame him at all for not signing an LOI.

We are not done with 2014 recruits yet. We are still recruiting JaQuan Lyle and Melvin Swift some. Like someone said it's very possible Lyle does a post grad year and becomes a 2015 recruit. That's the main reason why I think we are still in contact. Swift we are just trying to stay in the race. Then, like someone else already said, we will look for de-commitments in the spring specifically bigs. That would most likely have to come from coaches being fired or taking other jobs and schools releasing their current signees. It's also very possible that there are late bloomers they go after.

In 2015 we are shaping up to have a good class. It's still very early but we are near the top on a few recruits list. However, with it being early many things can and will change. Our top priorities will change and the staff will go after different recruits. This class will get a much better sense of how Ollie will do as a head coach recruiter. It's his first class where him and his staff are the ones fully choosing who they want to go after.

pj

Reaction Score
No reason not to expect Hamilton and Lubin here. It makes sense to hold the last scholarship, we might get a 5th year like Kromah or Evans, a currently committed player may change his mind, but more likely, we'll have all season to scout players and find late bloomers, international players, possible juco transfers, and other possibilities. We'll also be able to tell after the NCAA tourney ends whether top 2015 players are excited about UConn and whether it makes sense to hold an extra scholly for 2015.

Reaction Score
No worries, anytime. Better than going through life lying to yourself.
Hey, I'm sorry for getting on you, life must be miserable enough for you already. We'll see who's lying to themself soon enough but in the meantime try and stay off the ledge.

Since you are so confident, if one of them comes do you promise to disappear for a year and if both show up you disappear forever (under any and all names)? Deal?

Reaction Score
Judging by the early season, I'm starting to think Daniels and Boatright might very well come back.

caw

Reaction Score
First off, Lubin is fully committed. They couldn't get all of his info from his previous school in time for him to sign. He will sign in the late period. Hamilton, if things stay the same, will also be here. You can't blame him at all for not signing an LOI.

We are not done with 2014 recruits yet. We are still recruiting JaQuan Lyle and Melvin Swift some. Like someone said it's very possible Lyle does a post grad year and becomes a 2015 recruit. That's the main reason why I think we are still in contact. Swift we are just trying to stay in the race. Then, like someone else already said, we will look for de-commitments in the spring specifically bigs. That would most likely have to come from coaches being fired or taking other jobs and schools releasing their current signees. It's also very possible that there are late bloomers they go after.

In 2015 we are shaping up to have a good class. It's still very early but we are near the top on a few recruits list. However, with it being early many things can and will change. Our top priorities will change and the staff will go after different recruits. This class will get a much better sense of how Ollie will do as a head coach recruiter. It's his first class where him and his staff are the ones fully choosing who they want to go after.

Thanks thought I had dreamt that, but could have sworn it had been mentioned by u before.

Reaction Score
It'd be nice nice to see a sg commit but I'll take whatever the staff thinks we need. Thanks for the clarification 3. 91 wtf?

Reaction Score
No reason not to expect Hamilton and Lubin here. It makes sense to hold the last scholarship, we might get a 5th year like Kromah or Evans, a currently committed player may change his mind, but more likely, we'll have all season to scout players and find late bloomers, international players, possible juco transfers, and other possibilities. We'll also be able to tell after the NCAA tourney ends whether top 2015 players are excited about UConn and whether it makes sense to hold an extra scholly for 2015.

I've become quite a fan of bringing in 5th year guys. They've been through enough wars to provide some value on the court, they don't have visions of NBA sugarplums so they're happy with whatever PT they get, and they're delighted to have a year playing on a brighter stage. In sum, they're ideal for chemistry and depth. That's the way it's seemed from a distance anyway.

Reaction Score
If you eliminate Samuel who I am not convinced will be a big time PG, we recruited a lot of combo guards. We whiffed on the PGs we targeted. There are many who will say not to get focused on positions but PG is not like positions that can be interchangeable at say the 2 or 3. Purvis, Cassells, Calhoun, and Hamilton are all SG so we are fine there.
This season we will see pretty much more of the same so far but next year Brimah will be much better with more coaching and playing and the addition of Hamilton, Cassells and Lubin make this a very good recruiting class and we may not be done.

Reaction Score
Revisit this in August. You will likely find that you are wrong on all counts.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My memory is that they were done for the year, unless someone great came along (I assumed that included Lyle or a decommit)

Reaction Score

You're a miserable SOB.......why have a rooting interest in anything or for anyone?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't hate you because you are one of the worst posters on the entire Boneyard.

I don't hate you because you felt the need to use "c" instead of "see" to save yourself 2 whole keystrokes.

No, I hate you because of your sideways avatar. Fix that ish. Or stop posting. I prefer the latter.
I'm willing to bet my left testiculo that Husky91 isn't a Husky fan and only comes here to stir chiz up.

Last edited:

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score

Thanks for bringing a little bit of sanity to the chicken littles. No chance on Lubin? 10% on DHam? Seriously? I know it's fun to post, but it's best to either (a) have real information about the topic your posting on rather than simply conjecture unless you state it's your opinion; (b) understand how to apply percentages, statistics, or odds appropriately; and (c) make sure your avatar is right-side-up. Otherwise, it's best just not to post or at the very least pause and reconsider extreme statements before clicking the "post reply" button.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

All of the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01