Recruiting from the other side? | The Boneyard

Recruiting from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From some of the posts here, it seems some posters have first hand experience with they or their kids being recruited. So how was your experience? Was there anything that surprised you? What level of persistence from the programs (and did it help or hurt)? If recent, did anyone follow on twitter, etc., or fan boards during the process?

I have only seen this side from a bit removed - a niece of a friend. Friend reported that the family was a bit surprised and overwhelmed at first at the interest, though a number were completely unsuitable. (Alas, no UConn interest, tho they would have loved it) Their experience was mostly positive. Niece and her friends did follow social media and were aware of fan sites (seems like someone would always forward stuff to her if she was mentioned) She chose a school with the best D1 WBB program that she thought offered her a chance to play and develop. She felt comfortable with the coaches (really liked the assistants!) and family was content with the academics. After her visits, the choice was not that difficult. Seems to be working so far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have many scars and an equally number of great experiences spanning HS basketball, AAU basketball-the politics of , the rating services-the politics of part II, the recruiting process that I will gladly share in PM.
My two daughters were consistently rated top 150-200 players and had AAU teammates that played at top ten programs and a few who took official visits to UCONN. It can be and probably was more stressful than I made it. You live and you learn-never to regret.

Reaction Score
Once my daughter started being recruited, it was a lot of fun. She especially enjoyed the overnight visits. Seeing schools and campus's I would never otherwise see and meeting people (coaches), I would have never met otherwise. I think the hardest part for my daughter wasn't making the decision, but telling the other coaches she wasn't coming.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have many scars and an equally number of great experiences spanning HS basketball, AAU basketball-the politics of , the rating services-the politics of part II, the recruiting process that I will gladly share in PM.
My two daughters were consistently rated top 150-200 players and had AAU teammates that played at top ten programs and a few who took official visits to UCONN. It can be and probably was more stressful than I made it. You live and you learn-never to regret.
Once my daughter started being recruited, it was a lot of fun. She especially enjoyed the overnight visits. Seeing schools and campus's I would never otherwise see and meeting people (coaches), I would have never met otherwise. I think the hardest part for my daughter wasn't making the decision, but telling the other coaches she wasn't coming.
Two disparate views. Caveat Emptor. One of these views may be closer to you in the mirror than they appear. Hopefully anyone new to the recruiting experience will encounter an enjoyable and memorable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom