Recruiting Decisions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Decisions

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In hindsight, which was worse…Jim Calhoun not recruiting Ryan Gomes, or Geno Auriemma not recruiting Caitlin Clark given both teams’ roster construction at the time?

I disliked the thread title when I read it. I have my reasons. I clicked on it just to see what the topic would be.

I disliked the title even more when I saw what the proposed discussion was. I dislike that too. More reasons on top of my initial reasons.

But, at that point, I also saw a glimmer of hope. And now I'm smiling.

I feel rewarded for having followed my curiosity. Thank you, @husky99

Reaction Score
35 I’d imagine. But lots of generational players warm to the idea of playing with other generational players in order to win. Collin Cowherd is arguing that LeBron is the second most important player on the Lakers now behind Anthony Davis.
Hardly. And do you know what DT did that Clark won't do? Dominate the sport.

Reaction Score
Strange thing to be thinking about. Strange comparison. All around strange. But to each their own.

Reaction Score
In hindsight, which was worse…Jim Calhoun not recruiting Ryan Gomes, or Geno Auriemma not recruiting Caitlin Clark given both teams’ roster construction at the time?
You do know that recruiting is not an exact science, right?

Reaction Score
was ryan gomes the best men's college basketball player ever?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
100% each needs to be the alpha to fully shine. I think Fudd and Paige are perfect compliments. Paige and Clark, prob not.
Yeah Bueckers (and Fudd) can't be compared to Clark without considering the injury factor, but then again injury has derailed more than one potentially "transformative" (don't you love that word its all the rave) player

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How many points does DT get on a so so team without 5 Mcdonald all Americans per game?
That’s the thing that always blows me away about looking at past great wbb players.

They hardly averaged 20 PPG. Couldn’t tell though.

Reaction Score
You must been fun at parties
With the question YOU brought up today? While we are in the Final Four?? Yeah, I'm the one with the issue......plus my comment went way over your head, so clearly you were born after 2002

Reaction Score
With the question YOU brought up today? While we are in the Final Four?? Yeah, I'm the one with the issue......
What’s the point of fandom? To debate and discuss? It’s not an exact science? Wow thanks Sherlock I had no idea!!

Reaction Score
Probably about the 13th strangest thing on the BY today, but sure.
Lol hmmm I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit.. but fair play to you. I didn’t see a Ryan Gomes mention coming

Reaction Score
Lol hmmm I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit.. but fair play to you. I didn’t see a Ryan Gomes mention coming
It ties in just fine given the Caitlin Clark UConn current events. But I’m sure you have weighed in on every other discussion of that recruitment. Right? Right?? lol

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
No. And I think the Clark non recruitment was much worse. It shows that even Geno makes mistakes. Can you argue that Paige and Caitlin are similar players? Yes. But imagine having both with that shooting, play making, ball handling, and intangibles.
I read that Geno was turned off by Caitliin's body language - stomping and making a scene. He did not recruit her.

Jim

Reaction Score
First of all, Clark did not have logo 3pt scoring when she was in HS. Both Paige and Clark were on the USA basketball team with Paige starting and Clark coming off the bench. Paige was everyone’s #1 ranked recruit and was an early commit to the UConn program. They played the same position in HS, so to say Geno didn’t (or doesn’t) recruit well is just crazy.

Reaction Score
It ties in just fine given the Caitlin Clark UConn current events. But I’m sure you have weighed in on every other discussion of that recruitment. Right? Right?? lol
Which recruitment. Clark? Frankly I wasn’t aware she existed until around this time last year. You got a response from me for the Gomes mention lol

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I agree with most of your take though I think we would have had a better team with Ryan than without him. I see not recruiting Clark even with Paige here as worse. But am curious what others think that follow the women’s team more than I do.
It's a bit like not drafting Jordan because you already have Drexler

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your take though I think we would have had a better team with Ryan than without him. I see not recruiting Clark even with Paige here as worse. But am curious what others think that follow the women’s team more than I do.
I think you’re crazy. Paige was far and away the top recruit. Geno got her. He also got the next #1 in Azzi Fudd the next year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How many points does DT get on a so so team without 5 Mcdonald all Americans per game?
This.

I think it's great that she and wpmen's college basketball are getting the amount of attention they are currently receiving but I stop when the talking heads begin to claim she's the best ever. Even recusing myself from including any UConn players (there are a few who belong in this argument: Diana, Maya, Stewie), I'm old enough to remember Ann Meyes and Nancy Lieberman. Even including those two, I don't believe I've ever seen any women's player who I would consider Cheryl Miller's equal. Sheryl Swoopes was incredible and, more recently, is Clarke really any better than Sabrina Ianescu was in college or does she just have more opportunities to put up a lot of points?

Yes, she is an alltime great college player but there are a handful of others who belong on the same list as her.

Reaction Score
Geno picks highly accomplished players who express a strong interest in playing at UConn. Per Geno's comments this week, Clark did not reach out to him to express that interest. She was waiting for a call from UConn. He had already signed Paige so did not think it was the right move to go after another guard. For those not in the know, Paige was the #1 rated player that year and Caitlin was the #5.

On a separate note, on a team that has many good players, the top scorer rarely gets 40 points. The ball is shared and the scoring is balanced. That has been the case with most UConn WBB teams.

Reaction Score
What’s the point of fandom? To debate and discuss? It’s not an exact science? Wow thanks Sherlock I had no idea!!
You prove on a daily basis that you have no idea. Thanks for your fandom.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Regardless of rankings, the teams that Taurasi led to titles her last two years were by UConn standards pretty undistinguished. It was all her. It's why she gets my vote as best ever.

Reaction Score
This is all about Clark's ego. She wanted to be wanted by UConn. She was never going to leave Iowa. She was born in Des Moines and wanted to play at home.

Look at Clark's comment: "I wanted to be recruited by UConn." She did not say, "I wanted to play for UConn."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The only reason anyone ever moaned about Calhoun not recruiting Gomes is because Gomes was a kid from Connecticut. He became noticeable because he became a star at a conference rival, Providence to pour salt in the wound, and burned us on occasion. If he had been from Missouri nobody would ever have criticized Calhoun. And Gomes was never a generational talent. He and Clark aren’t in the same universe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom