Recruiting Decisions | The Boneyard

Recruiting Decisions

Reaction Score
In hindsight, which was worse…Jim Calhoun not recruiting Ryan Gomes, or Geno Auriemma not recruiting Caitlin Clark given both teams’ roster construction at the time?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Can we drop the Gomes recruitment already? It was 20 years ago and Calhoun covered it sufficiently. While Gomes was at Providence winning nothing and losing in the 1st round (one time) UConn was fine. They went to the elite 8, sweet 16, won the NC, and lost in the 2nd round. UConn was fine without Gomes.

Reaction Score
Just for a fun thought, geno says he committed to Paige so he didn’t go for Clark but seeing the player that they both became it would be really wild to think about them playing together. Paige has a great all around game, only takes good shots, even does things like get blocks while clark is a killer that shoots from anywhere and is a great passer. Paige would probably shoot like 65% alongside Clark. Also, would geno even allow Clark to take some of the shots she does? Husky429 is right but it’s still fun to think about

Reaction Score
Can we drop the Gomes recruitment already? It was 20 years ago and Calhoun covered it sufficiently. While Gomes was at Providence winning nothing and losing in the 1st round (one time) UConn was fine. They went to the elite 8, sweet 16, won the NC, and lost in the 2nd round. UConn was fine without Gomes.
No. And I think the Clark non recruitment was much worse. It shows that even Geno makes mistakes. Can you argue that Paige and Caitlin are similar players? Yes. But imagine having both with that shooting, play making, ball handling, and intangibles.

Reaction Score
were Clark and Paige viewed as playing the same position coming out of HS? I don't follow women recruiting so I don't get why it would be one or the other since Paige doesn't play on ball/PG with UConn while Clark is a PG for Iowa.

Reaction Score
He took Emeka Okafor and Caron Butler their not bad, it’s been written about it’s been talked about.

Reaction Score
were Clark and Paige viewed as playing the same position coming out of HS? I don't follow women recruiting so I don't get why it would be one or the other since Paige doesn't play on ball/PG with UConn while Clark is a PG for Iowa.
Good question. I’m not sure. I look at both as being wings or 2 guard types. Paige can rebound so I can see her able to play the 3. Idk man to me you find a place on your roster for that talent. And both can make plays for their teammates. Both are winners. I don’t think either would mind if they scored 35 with 3 assists one night and then scored 14 with 10 assists the next game as long as they win.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
No. And I think the Clark non recruitment was much worse. It shows that even Geno makes mistakes. Can you argue that Paige and Caitlin are similar players? Yes. But imagine having both with that shooting, play making, ball handling, and intangibles.
I do not think Calhoun made a mistake not recruiting Gomes. Was Gomes a good player? Absolutely. Did Calhoun recruit and construct a team that best fit his style in those years? A resounding yes.

Reaction Score
I do not think Calhoun made a mistake not recruiting Gomes. Was Gomes a good player? Absolutely. Did Calhoun recruit and construct a team that best fit his style in those years? A resounding yes.
I agree with most of your take though I think we would have had a better team with Ryan than without him. I see not recruiting Clark even with Paige here as worse. But am curious what others think that follow the women’s team more than I do.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Iowa. Since corn shucking isn't currently a college sport Clark gives them something to feel good about.
Corn shucking should absolutely be a sport if curling is!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I agree with most of your take though I think we would have had a better team with Ryan than without him. I see not recruiting Clark even with Paige here as worse. But am curious what others think that follow the women’s team more than I do.

Not every player is meant to play at UConn. It's not a miss. In either case, never was never will be.

Reaction Score
It's not a miss when we got the #1 player in the class, at the same position, who is also a generational player, who's play style would make it very unlikely they wanted to play together anyway

Reaction Score
It's not a miss when we got the #1 player in the class, at the same position, who is also a generational player, who's play style would make it very unlikely they wanted to play together anyway
100% each needs to be the alpha to fully shine. I think Fudd and Paige are perfect compliments. Paige and Clark, prob not.

Jim

Reaction Score
Clark has publicly stated that she wanted to be recruited by UConn but didn’t think she would actually come here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Clark has publicly stated that she wanted to be recruited by UConn but didn’t think she would actually come here.

Yeah I read the article about this and she kept saying how "cool" it would have been to be recruited by UConn. Not a hint Geno would have landed her.

Reaction Score
Geno would never let her jack up 30-35 shots per game. He teaches the team concept and ball distribution. Page only scored 20 pts. per game this season, not because she couldn't score more. Also, even if you get three of the Top 10 recruits each year, that leaves 7 amazing players you couldn't take.

Reaction Score
Geno would never let her jack up 30-35 shots per game. He teaches the team concept and ball distribution. Page only scored 20 pts. per game this season, not because she couldn't score more. Also, even if you get three of the Top 10 recruits each year, that leaves 7 amazing players you couldn't take.
Ah but would she Jack up as many shots if she played with another great player? I don’t think she would. I can accept the argument of two players that are similar in position maybe not being the greatest fit. But even Jordan accepted fewer shots when the triangle offense was rolled out and Pippen joined the team. Paige and Caitlin can both score and facilitate plays for teammates.

Reaction Score
How many points does DT get on a so so team without 5 Mcdonald all Americans per game?
35 I’d imagine. But lots of generational players warm to the idea of playing with other generational players in order to win. Collin Cowherd is arguing that LeBron is the second most important player on the Lakers now behind Anthony Davis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom