Recruiting Ads You Cannot Buy | The Boneyard

Recruiting Ads You Cannot Buy

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dorka speaks:

“I’m super grateful that I was able to play two years at UConn because I felt like that was a huge step toward my professional career and kind of just getting a little taste of what it’s gonna be when you get out in the real professional world,” Juhász told the Hartford Courant. “I felt very prepared, I can’t even lie, whenever I went through training camp. I felt comfortable in the uncomfortableness of just being in training camp and just competing, fighting for a spot because that’s what we did every single practice.”

Priceless. " I felt comfortable in the uncomfortableness of just being in training camp...."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I needed a dictionary just to understand the title. :):rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not a belief that she could be successful at Division I basketball. Frankly, she didn't need any reassurance about that. [Tina] Charles didn't lack a belief in herself. She lacked the vision that she could be something even more than "just" successful.

"[Geno] never gave up on me," Charles said. "He took me to a level that I never thought that I would experience
."

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
What a great human being we have in Swin Cash. She was part of the best class ever at UConn. She was a warrior in every facet and at every level that the game of basketball has to offer. You don't have to be a UConn fan to love, respect and appreciate who Swin Cash is and who she has become. Truly an inspirational, unapologetic black woman who transcended her gender, her race and truly became one of the best women to ever play the sport. The title of this thread...is an understatement as to what women like Swin have meant to this program and how their successes after leaving UConn have added to the its legacy and what playing basketball at UConn and getting a UConn education can mean to future generations of women aspiring to be great in what has become the greatest women's basketball program in the history of the sport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of the alumni are pretty consistent with their praise of how UConn prepared them for the next level, but in particular it helps with the Bigs. UConn has generally been considered more of a "guard" school of preference and less so for the very top bigs. I think that distinction was undeserving, but even if we didn't get say Wilson, Boston, Brink etc., the bigs we did recruit have done very well on the next level relative to their natural abilities.

Liv and Dorka were not high WNBA picks but are doing much better than their draft status would suggest, and a-lot of that appears to be because they were well schooled and prepared. Kia Stokes is also as others have mentioned an example of someone with obvious offensive limitations and never a starter at UConn who has carved out a very nice WNBA career.

There have been some recruiting misses on the very best bigs, but we have done quite nicely with the ones we did get, and they probably achieved their potential as well as any other program have done, so I don't think the argument that top bigs should go elsewhere has any evidence behind it, and it shouldn't really adversely affect our future recruiting, but I'm sure it is an argument that some of our competition will make anyway.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this. I'm feeling Geno. Kiah is one of my 3 favorite UConn WBB players (Jefferson & Stewart). Of course I was elated to see her win a championship with the ACES last year “I go at Kiah hard at times, and she just responds,” Aces head coach Becky Hammon said. “If you’ve got a UConn player, you know they’ve gone through the fire. You know they can handle truths.”

Hammon said she often wonders if she was too tough on players after the fact, but Stokes will promptly tell her, “You’re nice compared to Geno.” Stokes joked that while Hammon gets mad, she isn’t the yeller she claims to be when stacked against how things were with Auriemma in college.

I've been to several Ace's games in Las Vegas. We'll be in town for the NBA summer league next week and plan to attend the Aces/Mercury game Tuesday. They are the toast of the town and like the Raiders and the 2023 NHL champion Golden Knights, their games are usually well attended. You'd be surprised how many Raiders, GK and Aces tee shirts you see when you visit Las Vegas. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What about Hartleys speech from the parade? I didn’t hear the entire speech but I know she also said he changed her life

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Anyone who aspires to a long career in the WNBA should go to UConn if she is fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do so.

There is no better training ground anywhere.

Dorka is the most recent case in point. She was a second round draft pick and she is playing 30+ minutes per game over the last stretch of six or so games on a team that has been winning of late. She is going up against the best of the best, like Griner and Ogwumike. I have watched many of those games and she is playing smartly and with lots of energy. She is not overwhelmed.

She is very fortunate to have been picked by Minnesota and to have such an outstanding and supportive role model like Napheesa.

Reaction Score

While conducting a search on another topic I ran across this article in which includes praise of the UConn program ((beyond the basketball end of the business) from Missy Rose. For those of you who may not remember Missy, she was on the first national championship team. She is pretty blunt with her remark on offered players who do not select UConn.
This dinosaur apologizes if the above address did not turn out as a clickable link. If it did not just google nepasportsnation Missy Rose.

Reaction Score
Her father looked a little sad and resigned at that point.
It is important to remember that during Rebecca’s recruitment, her parents didn’t want her to attend UConn. I believe her mom referred to it as a “safety school”, but she, Rebecca knew that’s where she wanted to attend. So during her speech, her dad was probably missing his wife’s physical presence, or remembering certain conversations during that moment. After all, he, Rebecca, and the rest of the family knew how proud she (Mrs. Lobo) would’ve been, had she been alive today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom