Recipe for success; home cooking? | The Boneyard

Recipe for success; home cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey I am a 50 something year old who grew up in Bridgeport, what do I know. However, I did see our bball program grow and I believe it was built on the back of hone grown talent. Remember Gminski, Foster, Bagley, Matthews, Pinone, Luckett, Olyenick, McLeod, Presley, Garris, etc. (I know you guys can help me here...)... What a killer team this would have made!!! Then we got guys like Alekisinas s and Dulin to come home. Add in the guys who wanted to stay Aromatic, Corny, McKay, Smith etc. and we took off.

Could we be seeing the same for football? We get Stewart back, we keep Cochrane, etc. and I don’t want to forget Orlovsky in the grand scheme.

Uconn players are being drafted and playing in the NFL, Kendall just went in the 2nd round!!! Note to all CT and New England/NY recruits. Come to CT , you can be drafted and your family and friends can be there to see you every step of the way. There is no longer a need to travel far away to realize your dreams!! If you are willing to sacrifice and work hard your dreams can be realized close to home. More importantly, should you fall short of your athletic aspirations; you have an entire state and region to leverage following graduation. We always take care of our own. Hell, some players from other states have become ours. Where is Ray Allen from?

Of course it could be the Cinco de Mayo Margaritas clouding my judgment.

Reaction Score
I know that a lot of people on this board have a burning desire to see every local kid come to UConn.....but the reality is that we need to recruit other areas of the country if we are going to be a major player in the world of college football.

I know there will be some that will be upset by this, but the level of HS football in the northeast, generally speaking, is not even close to level of football they play in the south, Midwest, west, or heck, even NJ. If the majority of our roster is made up of New England kids, we would be in for some long years.

Gotta tap into those areas AS WELL AS recruit New England.

Reaction Score
I know that a lot of people on this board have a burning desire to see every local kid come to UConn.....but the reality is that we need to recruit other areas of the country if we are going to be a major player in the world of college football.

I know there will be some that will be upset by this, but the level of HS football in the northeast, generally speaking, is not even close to level of football they play in the south, Midwest, west, or heck, even NJ. If the majority of our roster is made up of New England kids, we would be in for some long years.

I don't believe I have ever seen any Boneyard poster that says we need every single Connecticut kid. If you can attribute that opinion, please do so.

I believe the poster in this thread is correct. That getting the elite local players to consider and choose UConn is an important step for the football program.

It amazes me that some posters don't think it is important to get local elite kids.

Reaction Score
Does anybody out there have any advice on how to discuss points that were attributed to you by someone else?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

UConn needs to take this one step further: they would do well start heavily investing time, money and effort into turning CT and the northeast into a college football hotbed, asap.

I'm no marketing guru or salesman (plus it's too early for me to think that hard, lol) but maybe there's a few 'Yarders here that fit that bill. Any ideas?

I don't know the particulars of how UConn can do it: I just know that it's doable...

Reaction Score
I don't believe I have ever seen any Boneyard poster that says we need every single Connecticut kid. If you can attribute that opinion, please do so.

I believe the poster in this thread is correct. That getting the elite local players to consider and choose UConn is an important step for the football program.

It amazes me that some posters don't think it is important to get local elite kids.
Agree 100% and will add that PP in my estimation is, other coaching weaknesses aside, a great recruiter, something FHCRE never was.

Reaction Score

This argument has been made 1,000 times already and 1,000 times it has been countered. UConn is not dipping into Texas and landing 4 star players anytime soon. It stands a much better chance of landing a 4-star from UConn. You're also wrong about the level of football played in Ct. versus that played on average across the country. We saw a study that showed Connecticut is middle of the road in terms of producing football players. It is not in the bottom half. A couple years ago we saw 6 kids from Connecticut taken on the first day of the NFL draft.

Everyone knows there is much better football elsewhere but UConn's best shot at landing a kid like Aaron Hernandez comes from targeting the top in-state players.

Reaction Score
This argument has been made 1,000 times already and 1,000 times it has been countered. UConn is not dipping into Texas and landing 4 star players anytime soon. It stands a much better chance of landing a 4-star from UConn. You're also wrong about the level of football played in Ct. versus that played on average across the country. We saw a study that showed Connecticut is middle of the road in terms of producing football players. It is not in the bottom half. A couple years ago we saw 6 kids from Connecticut taken on the first day of the NFL draft.

Everyone knows there is much better football elsewhere but UConn's best shot at landing a kid like Aaron Hernandez comes from targeting the top in-state players.

I don't know why this point is so hard to understand. There are always a few blue chippers from CT/MA combined. If we could land one or two of those instant difference makers we will be in good shape.

Reaction Score
I don't know why this point is so hard to understand. There are always a few blue chippers from CT/MA combined. If we could land one or two of those instant difference makers we will be in good shape.

Out of curiosity, who is saying otherwise?

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, who is saying they want to see every local kid go to UConn?

The original post didn't seem to imply that in any fashion, yet that was your reply.

We aren't going into Florida to pluck any four or five star can't miss types any time soon. Hopefully, under this coach, we can start to close the deal on some of the can't miss types from CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom