Recently Watched Movies 2024 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Part 2 of Rebel Moon is out on Netflix. Well if you like slow mo, this is the movie for you! A tiny bit more character development for the assembled team but just barely. It has some moments, but it's both overblown and under cooked. Part 1 had me curious but Part 2 didn't really deliver for me.

I think I would be much more interested in a story about Jimmy the robot and Princess Issa, who both barely got any screen time.

edit--Chalie Hunnam's character was also more compelling than most of the cast and he exited in Part 1

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Glad you liked it, not my cup of tea. That scene, the Transporter scene where he beats 40 henchmen and John Wick killing 60 Russians is too far out there for me.

But I know people loved Kill Bills and I’m happy for them.

Thanks, I appreciate it

On another note, for some reason I'm excited to watch Rebel Moon Pt 2 even though the first one was awful and I know this will be too. Awful yet somehow very watchable in spite of it being corny and derivative?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Argyle. Free now on Apple. Stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Rockwell, Henry Cavill with other big names in small roles. You don’t want spoilers here because there’s a lot that happens as this movie unfolds. It’s about 20 minutes too long, but otherwise it’s enjoyable. Bryce Dallas Howard is an interesting choice here, she’d be perfect about 25 pounds agp and works for some of the movie but maybe not all. Rockwell adds some comedic elements. Not great but not bad either.

Reaction Score
Argyle. Free now on Apple. Stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Rockwell, Henry Cavill with other big names in small roles. You don’t want spoilers here because there’s a lot that happens as this movie unfolds. It’s about 20 minutes too long, but otherwise it’s enjoyable. Bryce Dallas Howard is an interesting choice here, she’d be perfect about 25 pounds agp and works for some of the movie but maybe not all. Rockwell adds some comedic elements. Not great but not bad either.

Literally turned it off. It’s impossibly stupid.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I saw Anyone but You on a plane. It is everything wrong with romcoms. I don't need to provide examples, you can come up with them yourself even if you didn't see the movie. Powell and Sweeney spend most of the movie barely dressed which is the only reason I can think of for the $200+ million gross. This movie sucks.
I've been known to ignore a good warning. I was curious so watched it anyway. Yeah, not very good. You have to suspend disbelief to some degree with rom coms normally, but in this one pretty much every character was acting in such an unbelievable manner at every turn, and most of the dialogue was just so bad. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

Reaction Score
Civil War:

The movie probably isn't about what you think it might be. It's trying to be an honest portrayal of what the violence you see on the news in Ukraine and Israel or anywhere would like like here.

This is a road trip movie that bears a ton of similarity to Apocalypse now and Heart of Darkness. A group of combat/war journalists are racing to get to DC so that they can interview and photograph the President before the Western Alliance kills him. Along the way they encounter people and places that show us how badly the nation has unraveled, while it's clear that other parts are trying to pretend that nothing is happening. The violence and dysfunction that they encounter is contrasted by the mentality of this group of "pure" reporters. They take pictures of what is happening and then let other people decide what it all means and what is right and wrong. For them it is all about getting the shot. This is the subtle cleverness in this film. Because people going into it expected one thing, but instead got an examination of Journalism Ethics and a somewhat questionable statement that journalists are now the only sane people left.

The writer smartly shuffled things up. Floriduh, Texas and California seceded. The split doesn't seem to happen on the lines that would make sense through the lense of our current politics, its not Red or Blue, left or right. In fact, since both sides seem to be wearing the same uniforms (with one exception) they went out of their way to make things seem as ambiguous as possible. Both sides are not above committing what most people would agree are war crimes.

To give another really specific example, there is gun battle scene between one group of troops and another group of Bros wearing Hawaiian shirts. If you don't know, Hawaiian shirts have become de riguer among groups of white supremacist militias. But in this movie the Bros are led by an Asian and has some African Americans in it.

I think the purpose behind the shirts was twofold. It's meant to jumble things up and to be stick in the eye to the wackjobs.

The President is clearly a Totalitarian who abolished the FBI and bombed American Citizens and we don't know why and we do now he's on his third consecutive term. He resembles most of the Totalitarian Dictators that you know of. The opposition takes no prisoners and they are fabulously equipped. Texas is one of the main players. And I thought one really brilliant touch of authenticity was that many of their helicopters had 1st Cavalry Division markings all over. And yes that's exactly what it sounds like to be under a bunch of CH-47s doing their thing. But all of the helos were CGI so the effects were pretty amazing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was housesitting in a McMansion with every conceivable premium channel this week, so had the chance to watch "American Fiction" (MGM+) last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Jeffrey Wright is one of those actors who pretty much only plays Jeffrey Wright, but he pretty much always makes great choices on which films to do. He was well-cast and superb here, as was his supporting cast. There are a couple of genuine belly laughs, and the story goes pretty much as expected once you realize what Wright's character is trying to do and somehow finds success when it's the last thing he wanted. This is one I'd watch again. Excellent script, even though many of the white actors are caricatures of the worst progressive woke d-bags imaginable (and yet still believable, because, well we all know one or two).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd meant to watch "Reptile" on Netflix earlier, but never got around to it til now. Good slow burn with several good performances. I sniffed out that one of the key players didn't seem quite right early on, but didn't realize the full extent of it.

When did Justin Timberlake finally stop being such a baby face? He went from passing for 20 something to looking kinda old overnight it seems like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom