Rebounding is an Attitude | The Boneyard

Rebounding is an Attitude

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Shooters showed up. Ash and Q Congrats. This is what we needed. Great ball movement in the first qtr not as much for the rest of the game. It looked to me like it came in spirts. We need it to be more consistent and that will happen. We scored 37 pts in the first qtr with Ash exploding and surprising everybody. Then we followed it up with 15,16 and 22. We scored 37 pts because we had terrific movement and we were looking to score. It appears that we need Ash and Q to score more, therefore they need to look for their shot every time they get the ball and by that I dont mean go one on one. Both need to know where their spots are and find a way to get to their spots. Overall our offense looked better and we will need that against UNC this weekend. We shot 59% from the floor and against Texas we shot 59% too. Our percentage is great, we need to shoot the ball more from spots where we know we have a high percentage. We need to continue step up and look to create our shots.

I saw alot of smiles during the game last nite. Especially for girls smiling relieves alot of pressure and pressure in many instances is caused by thinking to much which is caused by lack of confidence. Ash and Q last nite seemed to play with confidence. That needs to become contagious .

A couple of thoughts. I would like to see KK and Nika with pull up jumpers unless Paige is wide open or somebody else is under the basket with an easy score. We still need more scorers and threats to score. Griff appears to be hesitant to take an outside shot. She is good from the line shooting foul shots maybe she needs to get to the line during the game and take that shot. I would think that would be playing to one of her strengths. I do like her coming off the bench too.

We need an Attitude about Rebounding. Rebounding needs to become an Attitude with everybody who is on the floor. When somebody is taking a shot we need to all hit the boards and not stand around thinking it will go in. We did some of that last nite. We need more of it.

Because we are playing alot of seniors and freshman we're gonna make some silly mistakes. Team chemistry is not there yet. Thats just the way it is and we must expect that. We will grow from it. This is not the off season where we can spend time working on it, this is the season and we will be learning on the run. Expect mistakes and accept them. This is part of the learning process. We have the talent to overcome alot of our mistakes its just gonna take time unfortunately we playing some really good teams and our lack of experience will show up

There is no date for Caroline and Yanna to get back. I feel they will be back before the end of the season. It appears we are not going to force it to happen to soon either. Thats a good thing. We need them healthy and ready to go. That could be huge for UConn come tournament time. Their height alone would be great to have. Having them back adds another shooter, more height and more rebounding.

Nothing is as good as it looks and nothing is as bad as it seems. Last nite we appeared to show some growth. Lets see how that looks in the up coming games against UNC and LVille. I expect our confidence to continue. Our schedule was made up knowing we were healthy. That being said our schedule is tuff over the next few weeks and that wouldve been fine if we were healthy but we're not so watching Shade and Q hit shots and taking it upon themselves to score like they did last nite is going to be fun to watch.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Shooters showed up. Ash and Q Congrats. This is what we needed. Great ball movement in the first qtr not as much for the rest of the game. It looked to me like it came in spirts. We need it to be more consistent and that will happen. We scored 37 pts in the first qtr with Ash exploding and surprising everybody. Then we followed it up with 15,16 and 22. We scored 37 pts because we had terrific movement and we were looking to score. It appears that we need Ash and Q to score more, therefore they need to look for their shot every time they get the ball and by that I dont mean go one on one. Both need to know where their spots are and find a way to get to their spots. Overall our offense looked better and we will need that against UNC this weekend. We shot 59% from the floor and against Texas we shot 59% too. Our percentage is great, we need to shoot the ball more from spots where we know we have a high percentage. We need to continue step up and look to create our shots.

I saw alot of smiles during the game last nite. Especially for girls smiling relieves alot of pressure and pressure in many instances is caused by thinking to much which is caused by lack of confidence. Ash and Q last nite seemed to play with confidence. That needs to become contagious .

A couple of thoughts. I would like to see KK and Nika with pull up jumpers unless Paige is wide open or somebody else is under the basket with an easy score. We still need more scorers and threats to score. Griff appears to be hesitant to take an outside shot. She is good from the line shooting foul shots maybe she needs to get to the line during the game and take that shot. I would think that would be playing to one of her strengths. I do like her coming off the bench too.

We need an Attitude about Rebounding. Rebounding needs to become an Attitude with everybody who is on the floor. When somebody is taking a shot we need to all hit the boards and not stand around thinking it will go in. We did some of that last nite. We need more of it.

Because we are playing alot of seniors and freshman we're gonna make some silly mistakes. Team chemistry is not there yet. Thats just the way it is and we must expect that. We will grow from it. This is not the off season where we can spend time working on it, this is the season and we will be learning on the run. Expect mistakes and accept them. This is part of the learning process. We have the talent to overcome alot of our mistakes its just gonna take time unfortunately we playing some really good teams and our lack of experience will show up

There is no date for Caroline and Yanna to get back. I feel they will be back before the end of the season. It appears we are not going to force it to happen to soon either. Thats a good thing. We need them healthy and ready to go. That could be huge for UConn come tournament time. Their height alone would be great to have. Having them back adds another shooter, more height and more rebounding.

Nothing is as good as it looks and nothing is as bad as it seems. Last nite we appeared to show some growth. Lets see how that looks in the up coming games against UNC and LVille. I expect our confidence to continue. Our schedule was made up knowing we were healthy. That being said our schedule is tuff over the next few weeks and that wouldve been fine if we were healthy but we're not so watching Shade and Q hit shots and taking it upon themselves to score like they did last nite is going to be fun to watch.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I am glad you mentioned REBOUNDING. It is more complicated than most people think. You have to divide into 2 parts: Offensive and Defensive.
On the DEFENSIVE side, always "box out" the person you are guarding; then go for the ball if it is in your area on the court. The mistake, by many, is that some players are too eager to run towards the other end of the court for a fast break. They just take off after a shot is taken, leaving the player they were guarding wide open to grab the rebound. Sure, this is one way to open a fast break, but I think it backfires in the long run.
On OFFENSE, one major factor is: the shooter has the best sense of where the shot(or rebound] is going after she shoots it. The shooter should thusly follow the ball in case the shot is missed. The offensive player{s} furthest from the hoop should retreat to stop a fast break. If ALL offensive players charge the hoop looking for a rebound, they are telling the other team to fast break once they get the ball.

Reaction Score

A couple of things: Nothing is as bad as it seems? Depends on what you mean by nothing. If you mean not having an effective 6-4, 6'5 post is not BAD --I must disagree. With the talent on every position other than post. A good to very good post could mean another NC.
Rebounding isn't "Attitude", it, like shooting, is confidence and a good mathematically oriented brain, --Bill Russell, honestly or bravado, said he knew where the rebound would be as the ball left the shooter hand. Confidence and aggressiveness. No hangers back. You are moving or fixed as the ball is in the air. If by Attitude you mean---"I can get it", I agree. Size too is a factor, under the boards.

Caroline is a strange problem. Yanna ? if their return date is February--wait until next year.

Reaction Score
Rebounding without fundamentals comes down to having much taller players than your opponent to be successful. UConn looked good playing a smaller, slower MAC opponent but will that translate against the next two opponents? I don't think any top tier D1 program will have long term success starting 4 players less than 6'0 regardless of how good they box out, its just too much length to overcome.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is something to think about -- I don't quite know how to process this data point.

Last summer, the Connecticut Sun -- having lost 6-6 Jonquel Jones to the Liberty over the previous winter -- began the season with a starting front-line of 6-2 Brionna Jones as their "5", 6-2 Alyssa Thomas ("AT") as the "4", and 6-4 but rail-thin Dawanna Bonner as the "3". They were all effective rebounders even in the WNBA, where every other team had centers who were 6-4 or sometimes much taller. AT was one of the leading rebounders in the league. Olivia Nelson-Ododa (6-5) came off the bench on that Sun team.

Then, early in the season, Brionna Jones had a season-ending injury and was replaced in the starting lineup by Rebecca Allen (6-1). AT individually and the Sun collectively continued to be an effective rebounding team. But eventually they lost in the semi-final series to the Liberty, who had 6-6 J. Jones, 6-4 Stewie, and 6-4 Satou Sabally. The Sun could not manage the Liberty's inside game over a 5-game series.

I'm not sure that would have worked without the rebounding contributions of Bonner, even though AT continued to get the largest number of rebounds. Bonner also blocked a lot of shots, protecting the rim. But this example does prove that an undersized front line can be effective at rebounding, provided that there are three slightly undersized forwards.

It isn't similar to what UConn is doing this year if Brady doesn't develop: one 6-3 post player who will probably be a first-round WNBA draft pick, and then 4 players who are 6-0 or smaller.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rebounding without fundamentals comes down to having much taller players than your opponent to be successful. UConn looked good playing a smaller, slower MAC opponent but will that translate against the next two opponents? I don't think any top tier D1 program will have long term success starting 4 players less than 6'0 regardless of how good they box out, its just too much length to overcome.
Really? That will come as a surprise to most of the women on this list of NCAA leading rebounders

55C0CE8E-1F9A-43BF-A253-B3E820333807.jpeg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Really? That will come as a surprise to most of the women on this list of NCAA leading rebounders

View attachment 93810
Wes Unseld usually gave up 4-6 inches to other centers and is top-ten in rebounds per game in the NBA. He wasn't a bad jumper, but by no means a great one. But, like Jamelle, he never saw a ball come off a rim that he didn't think was his.

Reaction Score
Two examples of rebounding done right:
Jamelle Edwards may have been 5'10" and was a great rebounder! A student of the game!
I disliked Dennis Rodman but at 6'7" he averaged 13.1 rebounds per season and is now considered one if not the best rebounder in NBA history! He made rebounding an art form, studying how players shot the ball to figure out where their rebound would go!
Great rebounding is an art form!
Leverage, body positioning, and a stubborn mentality that no-one can move you out of position!
On that list HuskyNan has above, 17 of the 20 listed are 6'2" or smaller! Cardoso, Brink, & Kitley are the only ones 6'7", 6'4", and 6'6" respectively!
UCONN as a team can rebound better just practicing rebounding more aggressively!

JBK

Reaction Score
I agree, especially with 2 of our guards being very small.

Reaction Score
If it were up to me I'd have Jamelle give master classes in rebounding. She's "only" 6-0 but she often out rebounded taller players during her time at UConn. She was outstanding at getting in the right spot to pick off a rebound- that spot was hers and nobody was going to move her off of it, greater height be damned. She also didn't seem to mind giving or taking contact underneath- that might not be a teachable skill however.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"More if not most" of the WNBA rebounding records are held by tall bigs.
IMO it's due to the law of averages that gives them a statistical advantage.

Pros and college players are not equivalent. There are 300+ college teams and only so many 6-4+ girls to go around - and they can only play 4 years. The WNBA can choose the best big girls and keep them around for 15 years.

I also think most people would agree Lisa Leslie, Tina Charles, Candace Parker, Sylvia Fowles, et al were extraordinary standouts in their respective college careers. It’s like comparing Michael Jordan to a college player.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"More if not most" of the WNBA rebounding records are held by tall bigs.
IMO it's due to the law of averages that gives them a statistical advantage.

Five of the top ten career rebounders are 6-1 to 6-3. Rebekkah Brunson at 6-2 was the all-time leader when she retired in 2018.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom