Reasons for Negativity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Reasons for Negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shooting was always going to be a problem and it is. I still say Sanogo needs to use the glass. Look what he did with less than a second on the clock! The glass give you a solid visual target that can help reaction time.

Reaction Score
Shooting was always going to be a problem and it is. I still say Sanogo needs to use the glass. Look what he did with less than a second on the clock! The glass give you a solid visual target that can help reaction time.
Not saying anything about your larger point, but as I've written before, I don't think Sanogo so much "used the glass" in that instance as much as he missed very badly and got lucky.

Reaction Score
I agree
The following are some reasons for THIS years negativity in no specific order.
1. Highly ranked recruiting class not contributing as predicted
2. Jalen Gaffney regressing to the point that he barely sees the floor and rarely contributes
3. Missing layups too frequently
4. The premise that our HC gets out-coached during the game and especially in end game situations
5. RJ Cole not being 6'4' with Ja Morant hops
6. Tyler Polley being the same player for 5 years
7. Akok becoming an after thought
8. AJax's shooting stroke and lack of aggressiveness on the offensive end
9. HC challenging obnoxious UConn fans
10. UConn playing their worst basketball of the year entering February
11. The fear that opposing coaches have figured out how to play against us and we might not have answer for that
Personally, I think we are in a rut we can climb out of but I think our floor and ceiling are pretty well established. I think we are between the 25th and 10th best team in the country. I have no illusions of a final 4 run but I expect us to be competitive in the BE and win 2 games in the tourney
I agree with virtually all most of your points. Yet I need to ask if one accepts these points shouldn’t they all be at the level of disappointment but not warrant “negativity” so that we do not slip into the realm of disgust? If this team straightens out the reasons for disappointment will vaporize and negativity will not find fertile ground.

Reaction Score
Athlete brain vs non-athlete brain-- Ex-Coach vs no coaching experience.
i've wondered how this impacts one's perception

having played organized bball from the ages of 5 to almost 30 (parks & rec, highschool, college walk-on, men's league) i find myself almost always defending hurley at the expense of the players on this board

i should note my highschool and college coaches were objectively bad- i just came to expect the talent of my teammates to shine through despite my coaches' shortcomings, and it usually did

Reaction Score
I think the reason why this Creighton loss particularly got the board agitated was: #1) how ridiculously awful we shot(obviously not our strong suit-we we’re bad in DePaul game as well)
#2) knowing the super tuff stretch that lies ahead against ranked big East teams, this was simply a game we cud not afford to lose(10.5 faves at home). If we would have won this game then, losing to nova or even our next game wouldn’t be so bad, but the loss Tuesday really tightened the vice around us.
—— now that Creighton game can be a distant memory if we beat nova/ but don’t see that happening, especially since they lost yesterday

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Corny Thompson
Corny predates The Boneyard, but I suspect that Chuck Aleksinas would’ve been the whipping boy out of that group. He caught some heat from the papers back then and a lot more from fans.

For what it’s worth, New Englanders, and particularly ‘Nutmeggers’ are notoriously pessimistic. I think that contributes a little bit as well.

Reaction Score
i've wondered how this impacts one's perception

having played organized bball from the ages of 5 to almost 30 (parks & rec, highschool, college walk-on, men's league) i find myself almost always defending hurley at the expense of the players on this board

i should note my highschool and college coaches were objectively bad- i just came to expect the talent of my teammates to shine through despite my coaches' shortcomings, and it usually did
IMO-I just think that-Using you as an example based on your above response- Because of your significant experience as a player/participant of BB- You would/will pickup on certain nuances of the game as it unfolds vs someone without that experience. And your subsequent comments on the Yard about a particular game/player/coach would be obvious as someone who is a student of the game by others(if they're paying attention to those comments)

This does not mean that non-athletes cannot provide valuable insight-- Just a different perspective.

BTW-- Laughed at your comment about "talent of teammates to shine". So true

Reaction Score
I think the reason why this Creighton loss particularly got the board agitated was: #1) how ridiculously awful we shot(obviously not our strong suit-we we’re bad in DePaul game as well)
#2) knowing the super tuff stretch that lies ahead against ranked big East teams, this was simply a game we cud not afford to lose(10.5 faves at home). If we would have won this game then, losing to nova or even our next game wouldn’t be so bad, but the loss Tuesday really tightened the vice around us.
—— now that Creighton game can be a distant memory if we beat nova/ but don’t see that happening, especially since they lost yesterday
Since Nova lost yesterday and we on Tuesday are we both at the same starting point psychologically?

Reaction Score
This does not mean that non-athletes cannot provide valuable insight-- Just a different perspective.

BTW-- Laughed at your comment about "talent of teammates to shine". So true
of course and i didn't mean to imply that. lots of coaches and analysts never played and they know more about the game than i ever will.

just curious if ex-players here are more likely to defend coaches or current players. i might be in the minority when it comes to ex-players defending coaches, idk.

and for sure i was cheering from the bench haha

Reaction Score
Corny predates The Boneyard, but I suspect that Chuck Aleksinas would’ve been the whipping boy out of that group. He caught some heat from the papers back then and a lot more from fans.

For what it’s worth, New Englanders, and particularly ‘Nutmeggers’ are notoriously pessimistic. I think that contributes a little bit as well.
Yea, you are 100% correct. Probably a big helping of Dee too

Reaction Score
of course and i didn't mean to imply that. lots of coaches and analysts never played and they know more about the game than i ever will.

just curious if ex-players here are more likely to defend coaches or current players. i might be in the minority when it comes to ex-players defending coaches, idk.

and for sure i was cheering from the bench haha
I hear you.. Re: original post and my initial response.. I think perspective and opinion expressed on the Yard is largely influenced by your experience/orientation from some of those angles. And can be interpreted by the reader as positive/negative/critical/objective, etc.

Being a fifth generation Nutmegger I vehemently disagree that folks from Ct are not friendly! True story-- Leaving to move to Colorado (where I lived for 15 years) ..My Dad says to me as I'm heading out the door. "Just remember one thing-You can never trust a person that smiles at you".. Can't make this "stuff" up!

Reaction Score

Well I must be doomed since 99% of my DNA is from Eastern Europe where in most countries there pessimism is a birthright.

So growing in New England is double barrel slam of pessimism for me.

Reaction Score
I would add that the fanbase has anxiety about whether or not we will ever get back to that level at all -- Jim Calhouns don't exactly grow on trees, and the odds we're as big a winner as we were under him are probably not that great. Each loss forces us to ponder our program's mortality. Sounds dramatic, I know, but I believe it's the main reason why these losses are so painful to so many of us.
Makes sense to me. However, if we truly do belong with the likes of the "blue bloods" in college bball (and I think we do), we should definitely believe this team can and will do better. For what it's worth, UNC won national titles under Roy Williams, and he was arguably one of the worst in game coaches I have ever seen in person. It's been said here before, Recruiting is king. Calhoun isn't winning without Rip, Rickey Moore, Ben Gordon, Kemba, etc. Need the players in order to win. Hurley and staff are doing a fine job so far on the recruiting trail and that's exciting and promising!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Since Nova lost yesterday and we on Tuesday are we both at the same starting point psychologically?
Ppl are totally underestimating or intentionally omitting the fact that Tuesday was a Mercury Retrograde. Once you multiply that impact by the fact we lost by fewer points than Nova, you realize that we have a shot on Saturday but won’t be the favorite.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ppl are totally underestimating or intentionally omitting the fact that Tuesday was a Mercury Retrograde. Once you multiply that impact by the fact we lost by fewer points than Nova, you realize that we have a shot on Saturday but won’t be the favorite.

sounds like a time for a sage smudge

Reaction Score
In the Big East just about “any “ team can beat any other E on just about any day. The Hoyas may be this years exception, they are to hosed.

Just checked the Hoyas are o- 8 or 0-9 in conference. They earned the right to be terminally pessimistic.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I intentionally avoided the Boneyard after the Creighton loss because I knew there would be some wild takes based on that 1 game, as usual. Many of you have rationale thoughts and expectations, but some of you are nuts. When you guys stole that cow and one of you tried to make it with that cow. I want to party with you cowboys.
I thought for the most part we played well and just shot extremely poorly. Some forced shots and some shots we should have taken but didn't. Sometimes that happens. Puke played the Irish the other day and beat them 57-43. Puke shot 39.4% and ND shot 27.9%. One top 10 team and one decent unranked team. It happens. We shot 29.9%.
I know we're not a good outside shooting team, so in my mind there are 2 keys to our success. Cole having a good night (he didn't this time) and offensive rebounding. We had 18 of them which is decent, but the put backs just didn't go in.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas would’ve been the whipping boy out of that group. He caught some heat from the papers back then and a lot more from fans

the morris mountain took a beating back then

Reaction Score
Because it was obvious we needed a second guard and Hurley is loyal to his guys & didn’t want to upset anyone.

This team is ready to win big if you added a Fatts or similar quick athletic shot creator. Sanogo is a beast, tons of vets, AJax would be awesome as a complimentary player, meanwhile only have Cole as ball handler. And his athleticism is not strong while he is a warrior. A second shot creator would do wonders for this team, less needed from each guy and Cole could actually take breaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom