Really ESPN! | The Boneyard

Really ESPN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I take from this is what happened in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago- after Loyd was named Freshman of the Year- Stewie owned the tournament, and demonstrated,without a doubt in the Notre Dame game, who the best player is. I expect another demonstration to dispel all doubters. End of conversation.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just like Diana losing to Alana Beard of Duke years back. LOL This was predetermined at the beginning of the season when we began to hear about it. You can make all the excuses and give all the reasons you want much like the article, but I wont. One point I will make. Muffet and ND were not happy last season when Stewie won POY and MCBride didn't. Perhaps that had something to do with this. Loyd had a great season however there is only one Stewie and nobody like her.

Reaction Score
Is it a best player award or most valuable award? A case can be made for Lloyd being more valuable to her team... the drop off after Lloyd is pretty big, compared to what KML, Jefferson, and Tuck bring to the team.

I think Breanna is the better player. If she played with lesser teammates, she wins this going away as the team would be more reliant on her to win games. The thing is... these girls came to UConn to win championships, not individual end of year awards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewie is regarded as the best player in the country but she plays in the AAC. That's what it said.
Yet when UConn has played the best of the ACC( ND, Duke, UNC. MD) they win by how many?

Clearly UConn has a better team... but this is an individual award, not a team award.

Reaction Score
Is it a best player award or most valuable award? A case can be made for Lloyd being more valuable to her team... the drop off after Lloyd is pretty big, compared to what KML, Jefferson, and Tuck bring to the team.

I think Breanna is the better player. If she played with lesser teammates, she wins this going away as the team would be more reliant on her to win games. The thing is... these girls came to UConn to win championships, not individual end of year awards.
Either way you look at it- Stewie...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a big deal. The ESPNW award is not one of the big 4 (i.e. it won't get you up on the wall). Besides I imagine Stewart and Loyd will split some of the awards. Stewart only won 2 of the 4 last year. Naismith and AP. Sims picked up the Wade and Ogwumike picked up the Wooden.

Some of you guys sure make a bid deal about some of the lesser awards, ESPNW, Staley. Don't worry about them. They're small potatoes. Save your ire for the big awards.

Reaction Score
Ehhh!
I think Stewie is better, but it is not unreasonable to give Loyd the award. Be interesting to see if the awards are split.
I doubt that Stewie is all that upset - concentrating on the team and the NCAAs!

Reaction Score

The point was she won the award because she plays in a better conference.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

But if you start going the "most valuable to her team route," you have to say that a player like Amanda Zahui of Minn is head and shoulders above a Loyd as she leads her team in scoring, rebounding, and blocks (and is 2nd in steals). Loyd leads her team in two things, scoring and most turnovers (and she's not a PG as an excuse), and she is 5th among the top five scorers on the Irish in shooting percentage.

But agree, this is a fifth-level award and it doesn't get any publicity outside of ESPN's own venue. It doesn't want to be just a hanging on at the back of the band wagon.

HGN

Reaction Score
I am not upset about this award at all......... There will always be disagreement about who is the better player and who should win what . Now I would be upset if this was the MOP for the NCAA Tournament 2015. Because the Winner of that Award more than likely is on the tournament winning team.

The MOP for The NCAA Tournament 2015.........That's the award I want Stewie or KML to win. Because that may indicate that UCONN has won the National Championship. Notice how UCONN didn't jump and scream about winning the AAC Tournament. No big celebration. Did they even cut down the nets? Because that's not the Win they value the most...... They want those Final Four nets.

So do not fret the little things my fellow Boneyarders. There are bigger fish to fry. Or should I say BIGGER Awards to win.

Let's set our sights on one of our guys winning that MOP for The NCAA Tournament -2015.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO she won the award because Muffet complained last year about McBride and campaigned for McBride and now Loyd. Hey Loyd has been the leader at ND no doubt about it. Stewie is the better player no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
I guess they don't want to appear to be a homer. Stewie and KLM will win their
fair share of awards when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
Look...

when UCONN played ND they "face-guarded " Jewell and although she did score points they kept her down. She was in effect "guardable".

Noone in WCBB can guard Stewie if they let her loose.

Case closed (I like Jewell but let's get real here).

Reaction Score
Clearly UConn has a better team... but this is an individual award, not a team award.

xHunter3r- - - - Yes it's an individual award but as I've stated earlier the talking suits have NO understanding of what makes a MOP! Loyd Has to score almost 30 pts. a game, get 10 rbs a game, have 5 assts. a game, etc. for ND to have a chance to win! Except for Turner ND has no other good players to depend on! Stewie doesn't need to put up the high #'s as she has so many stars around her to help carry the load! MoJeff, KML, Tuck, Chong, Nurse, etal, can all score in double figure Points & high RB's to make UCONN win by 45+ points each game! Remember what Geno said if ALL Division I coaches could chose one player to make their team outstanding they ALL would chose Stewie!
Stewie will be screwed in the AP & Wade awards because the suits have already anointed Loyd the best player since forever! She's THE 3 TO SEE all by herself! I hope I'm wrong!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Put aside your NFB bias and the pick is reasonable. LLoyd's stats are arguably better, and they were put up against a much tougher schedule. I don't think that there is any question that LLoyd is more important to her team.

Congrats to her.

Reaction Score
Put aside your NFB bias and the pick is reasonable. LLoyd's stats are arguably better, and they were put up against a much tougher schedule. I don't think that there is any question that LLoyd is more important to her team.

Congrats to her.
I agree she had to do more for her team, but Stewie is the better player and knows how to win when it counts most.

Reaction Score

Congrats to her.
Not a much tougher schedule, just a bunch of scrubs from the ACC!

Reaction Score
From the ESPN article: "But while Stewart was adjusting to a new role with the Huskies, and Connecticut once again rolled through the American Conference without much resistance, Loyd has propelled Notre Dame to another stellar season." ... so Stewie was 'adjusting' to a new role while Jewell 'propelled' another stellar season ... this is one highly subjective rationalization as to why Jewell got the award ...

This frame of mind directed toward Stewie makes it seem like she was 'adjusting' all season, diminishing her overall contributions over the last five months ... Stewie and Jewell both were adjusting to a new role and propelling another stellar season for their respective teams ...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow, the comments and excuses are really getting incredible here.

ND has just Loyd and Turner. No other good players, so basically Loyd has to do all the work. I just hope Allen with her 170 assists and Reimer with her all-around solid stats (51.2 FG%, 6.0 rpg, 10.1 ppg), and even Westbeld with her 51.2 FG% and 41.2 3-pt FG% don't have BY's ND fans posting this kind of carp on the Irish bulletin boards. The #2 team in the country with just 2 losses and all they have is 2 players! Loyd has to constantly be throwing up her 15 shots per game because her teammates are a pack of slugs. Muffet has to win the COY award for sure. Priceless!

Loyd's stats are better, and she had to do more for her team. But they're not not, not even close, and if she had to do more for her team, she failed. How is Loyd's 46.6% shooting better than Stewie's 53.3%, and how is 6.5 rpg better than 8.3, or 15 blocks better than 85, or 50 steals better than 52, or 83 turnovers better than 65, or Loyd's 102 assists as a guard better than Stewie's equal 102 assists as a forward? Loyd does score 2.9 ppg more than Stewie on 3 more shots per game, but even there they have an almost identical points per minute average of 0.65 for Loyd and 0.63 for Stewart. Clearly the fans who trumpeting Loyd's better stats haven't bothered to look at the stats to be making such ludicrous claims. Mindless!

Notre Dame played a much tougher schedule. But how much harder, and should that account for discarding one player's stats and championing the player with far inferior stats? Massey has the schedules rated #1 for Notre Dame and #2 for UConn by a modest amount, so the SOS is very even. Obviously there are the "creampuff UConn schedule" types on the orange boards who really think that all of UConn's 15 games against top-25 opponents last year came in the NCAA tourney (you can't make this stuff up for Vol fans' brainlessness) and there are also UConn fans who will point to the brain-dead RPI's plus 30 ranking of UConn's schedule while trying to ignore that it also rates UConn as the 5th rated team, and my sympathies for their impaired conditions, which I hope can be corrected through massive doses of reality. Clueless!

As noted by others above, ESPN had its reasons for going a different route, but they didn't involve stats.

Reaction Score
From the ESPN article: "But while Stewart was adjusting to a new role with the Huskies, and Connecticut once again rolled through the American Conference without much resistance, Loyd has propelled Notre Dame to another stellar season."
Right before your quote the article did say, "...Connecticut's Breanna Stewart is widely regarded as the best women's college player in all the land." I can accept that. The award giver, in the second sentence of their own announcement of the award, is acknowledging that their player of the year is not the best player and stating who really is the best player. Of course this makes no sense, but that's not one of the requirements. Congrats to Jewell.

Reaction Score
I really like Jewel Lloyd and she's a terrific player. Just for fun, I compared MoJeff's stats with Jewel Lloyd's. Different type of player, different competition (I get it) but just for fun...

MoJeff - 27.7 mpg, 58% FG%, 50% 3pt, 2.8 Rebounds/gm, 4.82 assist/gm, 3.06 assist/to ratio, 2.67 stls/gm, 12 pts/gm
Lloyd - 31.4 mpg, 46.6% FG%, 33.7% 3pt, 5.4 rebounds/gm, 3.09 assist/gm, 1.23 assist/to ratio, 1.52 stls/gm, 20.5 pts/gm

ps- Jefferson's the type of player I thought Lorin Dixon was going to be when she signed with UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom