Re-Watching the Championship Game for SDSU Tidbits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Re-Watching the Championship Game for SDSU Tidbits

Reaction Score
Butler pulls up and bricks a 3. He's willing, and might be able on the right night, but not consistently.

Newton stands up Butler on a drive to the rim.

Their complementary guys are fairly limited offensively.

Reaction Score
We're back to LeDee vs. Clingan.

LeDee gets it in the high post and puts a few moves but is forced into a tough hook shot, which misses.

Grant Hill comments that he should just go up with the shot from the elbow, which is something he does often this year. Do we concede this shot and hope he doesn't go like 8-10?

Reaction Score
Again LeDee goes to work against Clingan, again stood up, but this time given the call when he throws his body into our big guy. If that happens repeatedly tomorrow, that will be a problem.

Reaction Score
LeDee passes out of the post, gets it back at the foul line and hits the 17 footer.

Clingan muscles through Mensah for 2.

Reaction Score
Another 3 for Butler. I expect he'll be counted on for a lot of their perimeter action.

Maybe he's the guy we stick Castle on.

Reaction Score
Parrish clangs an early pull-up 3.

If he's cold, like he was last year, leave Spencer on him and challenge him to make a bunch.

Reaction Score
LeDee faces up against Clingan from the high post, makes a tough banked runner over the out-stretched arm.

Reaction Score
LeDee is strong, but Clingan towers over their whole team while he's in there.

That said, LeDee makes a little 6-foot floater off of a curl action with Clingan caught in between on the help.

It was this stretch here where LeDee kept them in it, which I remembered, and why LeDee is a particular concern this year -- he was not fazed by us, not intimidated, and found ways to score against our current best big man defender.

Reaction Score
Trammell gets a steal in the passing lane and lays it in to cut our lead to 6. That's his second one of those. We're going to have to be careful with our elaborate passing action for him to jump the routes.

Reaction Score
Sanogo stands up LeDee in the lane. Huge play. Can we do that for 40 minutes? Is LeDee craftier now? Can Clingan stay disciplined? Does Johnson have any kind of chance to slow him down?

Reaction Score
Sneaky-huge foul call grabbing Newton coming around a screen with us in the double bonus.

They are that kind of a defense. If they're allowed to slow our cutting, this could be a problem. If it's called tight, like the championship game, we will be hard to stop.

Reaction Score
Trammell hits a pull-up 17 footer to cut the lead to 12 (too little too late). If that's their perimeter offense, good luck.

Reaction Score
Yay confetti.

Positives:
  • Their defense is good, but didn't regularly slow us down. Our droughts were mostly from sloppy play or missing open shots. And our offense is better this year.
  • Their guards are nothing special, though Trammell is feisty and Butler has some clutch in him; Newton should be fine at both ends, and they haven't seen anyone like Castle; I expect Spencer to do Spencer things; we have to be careful about them playing passing lanes but this is manageable
  • On offense, Clingan's height is going to be a problem for them, and I'm not sure anyone can stop Johnson's verticality

Risks:
  • LeDee was like the one guy who had success against us consistently in the second half, and that was pre-All-American LeDee. And most of that was matched up against Clingan, who had 3 fouls in limited minutes
  • Some of their guys could hit a number of 3s, so it's not impossible for them to get hot and have an uncharacteristic 13-25 type of game
  • We mainly kept them at arm's length in the second half via the foul line, though it's not hard to envision a more unevenly-officiated game allowing them to clutch-and-grab their way to staying competitive, while sidelining Clingan

Reaction Score
Our offense is actually more fluid this year, especially compared to when we would dump it into Sanogo and let him go to work.

Second LeDee-Clingan matchup, LeDee is forced into a tough 10-foot turnaround jumper, which misses.
Dumping it to Adama and letting him go to work really grew on me.

Reaction Score
Last year, I watched that game on a bench outside in Sarasota because my mother in law made the mistake of speaking during the opening minutes.

This year, we rented the same place and we’re here now. The mother in law is not around, but I will watch from that same bench.
same underwear I hope

Reaction Score
Last year, I watched that game on a bench outside in Sarasota because my mother in law made the mistake of speaking during the opening minutes.

This year, we rented the same place and we’re here now. The mother in law is not around, but I will watch from that same bench.
At least you don't have red-tide this year. BTW. Don't know if you've checked out Roof Top Bar at Westin Hotel on Marina Dr when downtown. Open air vibe-harbor and sunset views-Decent HH spot. Favorite of the locals. Non-hotel guests are welcome.

Reaction Score
Our offense is actually more fluid this year, especially compared to when we would dump it into Sanogo and let him go to work.

Second LeDee-Clingan matchup, LeDee is forced into a tough 10-foot turnaround jumper, which misses.
This. I went back and watched the E8, F4, and champ game recently and it’s kind of incredible how much more complex our sets and off-ball actions are this year. Last year it was pretty clear that plan 1A was get the ball in to Sanogo and let him go to work and then have Hawkins and Calcaterra/Alleyne running off some off-ball actions. This year the actions are way more consistent and they seem to be running way more motion to disguise those actions. No idea how SDSU is going to prep for this in a short week.

The Clingan-LeDee defensive matchup was an interesting one. Obviously both are much better players this year. Ledee got into Clingan’s chest and scored a few times in the second half, but Clingan’s length clearly bothered LeDee in that high post area. He is just so much bigger than LeDee (and anyone LeDee sees in the MWC), that he can really contest those mid-range jumpers without having to come out too far.

Reaction Score
At least you don't have red-tide this year. BTW. Don't know if you've checked out Roof Top Bar at Westin Hotel on Marina Dr when downtown. Open air vibe-harbor and sunset views-Decent HH spot. Favorite of the locals. Non-hotel guests are welcome.
I prefer the rooftop at the Marriott Art Ovation… better views imo

red tide seems to happen if we get a west coast hurrican….it stirs the pot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom