RE: Azura, Just sayin' | The Boneyard

RE: Azura, Just sayin'

Reaction Score
Z is slowly showing her ability and matching UConn's system. She will be beyond excellent by middle of the season.

Last game we have Megan and this game we have AEH. Our freshmen also start to show their talent. So happy for this team.

Reaction Score
It was great to see Z spending more time down low today and working to her obvious strengths. According to Meg, Geno made a point of asking her for a little less high and a little more low. Is that enough to make one think that certain of the coaching staff might be reading our threads?

Reaction Score
It was great to see Z spending more time down low today and working to her obvious strengths. According to Meg, Geno made a point of asking her for a little less high and a little more low. Is that enough to make one think that certain of the coaching staff might be reading our threads?
No. Geno told her we have enough 3 point shooters on this team. We don't need you to be another one. Or something to that effect according to Meg Culmo.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Azura will have her plus games and minus games until she settles in. This was very much a plus game, but did you notice that once she clamps onto a rebound, no one, and I mean no one, takes it away from her?
I didn't notice that but I did notice how goes to get rebounds. She also frequently had her hands in the fray.

The most impressive thing about her to me is how well she moves. Shades of Stewie?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't notice that but I did notice how goes to get rebounds. She also frequently had her hands in the fray.

The most impressive thing about her to me is how well she moves. Shades of Stewie?

I agree about how well she moves. Being interviewed post-game Geno said she's still learning how to move and if you are use to not moving it can be tough to get you moving. Well, when she gets moving, look out! Geno also said she did good today and will get better.

Reaction Score
I agree about how well she moves. Being interviewed post-game Geno said she's still learning how to move and if you are use to not moving it can be tough to get you moving. Well, when she gets moving, look out! Geno also said she did good today and will get better.
She, Azura, and Christine were almost giddy when Z came out of the game. Christine was, maybe still is, the Big girl coach. If she is: she has loads to be proud of today...

Reaction Score
Azura will have her plus games and minus games until she settles in. This was very much a plus game, but did you notice that once she clamps onto a rebound, no one, and I mean no one, takes it away from her?
How many teams can afford to have her coming off the bench? This is what she will do when Katie Lou comes back.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How many teams can afford to have her coming off the bench? This is what she will do when Katie Lou comes back.

BTW Meghan and Eric at game intro today said they are hoping to have Katie Lou back for Notre Dame game.

Post script: There is a one minute video of Katie Lou on UConn team site in which she says when they get home the boot comes of for an evaluation "and then we'll see" or words to that effect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Azura could potentially be an AA this year if she was starting. Starting next year and with a full year in the system, she will be AA her Sr year.

Reaction Score
Azura is capable of doing this every night! She played hard the whole game, running the floor, 5 assist and her help defense was better. There will be 3 Uconn 1st team but it could be 2 different players from last year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No. Geno told her we have enough 3 point shooters on this team. We don't need you to be another one. Or something to that effect according to Meg Culmo.
It's strange that he would say that. He had enough three point shooters when Stewart was playing but wanted her to shoot three pointers. Well, once she establishes her inside game, it will make her more well rounded on offense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azura is capable of doing this every night! She played hard the whole game, running the floor, 5 assist and her help defense was better. There will be 3 Uconn 1st team but it could be 2 different players from last year.
Geno will expect this every night. He said a 6'6" player should have a double-double by halftime.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I caught that too and agree 100% with it. Several of us who watched the UCLA game live were totally mystified as to why Z was playing so much on the perimeter, at 6'6", lobbing the ball in to a 6'1" Collier who had very limited success scoring over the 6'2" Billings (they had early success in the 1st quarter, but UCLA caught on right away and shut it down the rest of the game).

I totally agree - I don't care that Z "thinks of herself" (possibly - I don't KNOW what she thinks) as a wing, and wants to spend time roaming the perimeter. That's not where we need her. Danger, Kia, Lou AND Napheesa are all better 3 point shooters. ANY time Z spends on the perimeter takes away from better scoring options. IMHO, Z should be almost exclusively in the post unless she steps out for the VERY occasional 3 point shot, or is the linchpin in the offense (like Dolson was) and she parks herself at the key to make passes a-la Stef.

Of course it's just my opinion. Geno knows better, but @HoopsFan21 is totally correct - either Meg or Eric said that during the telecast (quoting Geno). I was hoping it was just a matter of time before he put his foot down and started demanding (coaching) that she play mostly in the post, and hopefully it's a sign of things to come. There's a REASON she played so well today, and none of it had anything to do with her "perimeter" play...

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Azura is improving, and once she learn the system....look out. I am so glad to see her playing inside the 3 point line. In my C.D. voice, for now on that is where you play :).

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score

Of course they do. Where else are they to go to feel the pulse of Husky Nation? :cool:

Reaction Score
Geno will expect this every night. He said a 6'6" player should have a double-double by halftime.
If she plays like she played last night she should do it every night. She was physical, Knew what she wanted to do with the ball, went after rebounds aggressively and didnt play passively at all! She played hard the whole game! Dont know if she will play like this every game but if she does there is nobody better in WCBB, JMHO!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azura could potentially be an AA this year if she was starting. Starting next year and with a full year in the system, she will be AA her Sr year.

Reaction Score
She is eligible to leave for the WNBA after this year and would probably be a first round pick.

Reaction Score
I caught that too and agree 100% with it. Several of us who watched the UCLA game live were totally mystified as to why Z was playing so much on the perimeter, at 6'6", lobbing the ball in to a 6'1" Collier who had very limited success scoring over the 6'2" Billings (they had early success in the 1st quarter, but UCLA caught on right away and shut it down the rest of the game).

I totally agree - I don't care that Z "thinks of herself" (possibly - I don't KNOW what she thinks) as a wing, and wants to spend time roaming the perimeter. That's not where we need her. Danger, Kia, Lou AND Napheesa are all better 3 point shooters. ANY time Z spends on the perimeter takes away from better scoring options. IMHO, Z should be almost exclusively in the post unless she steps out for the VERY occasional 3 point shot, or is the linchpin in the offense (like Dolson was) and she parks herself at the key to make passes a-la Stef.

Exactly what I've been thinking since day one of seeing her, which for me was the exhibition games. I kept wondering when she would move in and settle down at her natural position. Actually, I thought Geno might have been experimenting a little and trying to get her to be more versatile.
But as the games went by it was obvious to me (and I gather, quite a number of others here) that it just wasn't going to work. A player that quite obviously had the size and the skills to be really good (I'll hold off on the "great" for now) looked very ordinary in every game they played before this one. I began to think (and posted as such) that perhaps she had been overrated.
But unless last night was a fluke it certainly appeared that she does have the skills we need in the position we need her to play, and if she stays down low and plays it she can be a tremendous addition to this team.

Reaction Score
She is eligible to leave for the WNBA after this year and would probably be a first round pick.

She already said she's not going and there is no reason to leave early. WNBA is not the NBA with a boat load of cash and then even a bigger boat once you get passed the 1st 3 year deal, which has a max cap.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
She showed some real flashes yesterday...

DSC_7433A (2).jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom